Home

Old Hachet Hammer

Posted By: Catpincher

Old Hachet Hammer - 08/14/18 11:39 PM

I have looked online but don't find a picture of this old timer. Can anyone identify it? .
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 12:15 AM

It's cool looking. I found an old hammer/hatchet in an old barn. I use in on my line. I can't help ya with who made mine or yours though.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 12:20 AM

Looks to me that someone forged a hatchet out of a ball pein hammer. My advice would be to not grind on it at all. Just oil it up as it's a nice piece.

Moosetrot

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 12:22 AM

I use mine for fleshing beaver, badger, Otter, big tuff Coyotes and on the line. The steel quality is very high I can sharpen to shave with very little effort.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 01:28 AM

That's a Carpenters hatchet.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 02:24 AM

my grandpa had several of them when i was growing up. wish i would of been smart enough to save a couple.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 07:48 AM

Used to see those a lot when I was a kid. Some had a cross hatch pattern on the hammer side.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 12:51 PM

The one I have I've used ice fishing then on my trap line and camping also a good multi function tool the next best one similar is the scatchet is I remember correctly and I may not have the spelling right.
Allan
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 12:53 PM

Nice piece!
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 01:59 PM

Shingler's hammer for splitting wood shingles and mailing them on

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 03:57 PM

Thank you!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/15/18 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Moosetrot
My advice would be to not grind on it at all. Just oil it up as it's a nice piece.

Moosetrot
Too late!
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/16/18 12:01 AM

It's a riggers or rigging axe. Used to be the standard hammer for framers. A shingle hatchet is usually narrower, lighter and flat on one side like a hewing axe.

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/16/18 03:59 AM

I did the lite grind and wire wheel work about four years ago, it was pitted to the edge and useless. I have had more fun using it than the value that it was worth in it's Pryor unusable state. I was amazed at the quality of the steel under the pitting, better and easier to sharpen than most pocket knives I have purchased in the last forty years.

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/17/18 01:56 AM

You may be right 10bands but what is a rigging axe and it purpose?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/17/18 04:29 AM

a rigger was basically a name for a framer

riggers hatchet and a shingling hatchet may even have very similar heads but the rigger will have a longer handle and may be a bit heavier

many old houses had a ridge pole and pole roof truss system the house may great grandfather built has about 4 inch cedar poles as roof joists a riggers hatchet you could nail them in place then lop off the excess pole at the ridge
house has held north east Wisconsin snow loads since 1888 just fine it also has a 12/12 pitch

my grandpa always had a riggers hatchet for camping very handy tool , I have 2 now one needs a re-handle.

some have a notch att he botton non cutting edge of the blade as a bail puller , the other one I have has a notch under the hammer head side

there is another called a lathing hammer it had a flat top for nailing near ceilings , hold the lath up scribe a line where it needed to be cut and lay it on a block of wood and hack off the unwanted portion then nail it up so that it could get plaster
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/17/18 03:12 PM

Very interesting stuff
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Old Hachet Hammer - 08/17/18 07:25 PM

This one was given to me by a neighbor who died four years ago at 94. It was his grandfather's timber cruising hatchet. There was a stamp in the blunt end but it has been beaten out and isn't readable anymore.

Pete
© 2024 Trapperman Forums