Home

Thick cover to deal with.

Posted By: Law Dog

Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 08:29 PM

Went and checked and redid game cam today added another one to the cat country area, tried to beat the rain (I lost) but not bad, the cover is as thick as I have ever seen it. The prairie grass was 5-6 foot tall in the open areas I had to set up in a shaded area for 1 camera and put the other right off of a road. I sticked out the taller grass between the camera and the road to keep it from triggering the cam and put bark over the lane between the camera and the road.

Looks to be a ton of cover this year that might be good for snaring but might hamper foot traps some. Acorns all over great crop for the deer and turkeys.

Greasy road looks like it's 30 yards in the pic closer to 100 yards.

Pic from the top great cat funnel area with a dam crossing had to get to the edge to get away from the tall grass to take the pic. 2nd cam is where the road turns to the right after crossing the dam.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 08:40 PM

Goats man!

Goats!
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 08:42 PM

Nevermind

You want it.

Forget the goats
Posted By: adam m

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 09:14 PM

Looks beautiful
Posted By: snowy

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 11:15 PM

Looks good. Grass in places here in above the knees and some to the waist. I will make it tough for trapping early on I'm afraid.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 11:22 PM

Nice country.
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/19/18 11:30 PM

You got some pretty country there Lawdog. We we're blessed with some rain today. We need it.

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/20/18 01:21 AM

Rain has been like it's on a timer once a week rather then no rain for 5 months!

Been going through the cam card 2295 pics lots of the summer grass blowing in front of the cam back and forth. Deer, turkey coons, yote so far but not cats yet.
Posted By: Half ton

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 01:27 AM

Law Dog,
I just got home yesterday from S.D. Was there for a week doing the tourist thing with the wife, along with watching my buddy coyote hunting with his decoy dog for a couple days. What a state. Never seen so many round bales in my life.
Showed me some places he traps and a few looked just like your second picture. Don't see how anything can live in that god forsaken looking country. Everything looked like a tinder box ready to explode. Only green was in the gullies,ravines, and along the streams where I was at. When we set up to call I had to watch were I sat. If not you'd be skewered by all the cactus. Yet I'm already to go back. Great state.

Russ
Posted By: AJE

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 02:38 AM

Nice.
Great acorns around here this year too.

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 03:36 AM

When I first moved here from the UP I thought the same thing about anything living in such a flat grassy place then the sun started to go down and I understood what it was all about never seen so much stuff in my life! LOL
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 03:54 AM

Snowy if grass is knee high it's almost tall enough for good snaring
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 08:00 AM

Lol,i thought the same thing when I lived in s.d. but its an amazing habitat for critters!!!
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 01:58 PM

I've been hung up for two weeks waiting on dry weather to cut hay, weeds and crabgrass are doing great. I have alfalfa here at the house with cowpeas planted in it and the deer have really slowed down on coming in to it, before things greened up they were in it late morning and early evening and of course at night.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/21/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: west river rogue
Lol,i thought the same thing when I lived in s.d. but its an amazing habitat for critters!!!

That is true will have to find the trails. I worry some about deer though. They like to stick their noses down to smell so I'm very careful when it comes to that.
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Thick cover to deal with. - 08/22/18 02:30 AM

Quote:
Acorns all over great crop for the deer and turkeys.

For a couple of years I trapped mountain sides above the Air Force Academy in Colorado. They were covered with scrub oak, and held a lot of coon and red & grey fox. Droppings proved they were eating acorns.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums