Home

Apple tree sprouts

Posted By: logger coffey

Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 02:04 AM

Any one ever started apple trees from cuttings and got them to take root ? on my grandparents farm there is a good apple tree or was ,till the wind blew it over about a week ago , i cut it up today and managed to get a few good green sprouts off of the upper limbs and just wanted to try because of the age of it , it never was really big but it was said it blew down once before and grew back at the ground, four generations can remember the tree and the house was built in the late 1770s .but no one really knows how old the tree was, gona make some lamps from the wood ,but would like to see if i can make the tree to continue living.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 02:38 AM

Check around to the local nursery’s and see if they have any grafting stock they might even be able to do the grafting for you but it is not hard to do
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 01:06 PM

Ain't never done it. I have done some grafting, so have only dealt with something already growing, or rootstock. But, your question peaked my curiosity, so I did a BuckNE (Google) search.

Propagating apple tree from cuttings

Read it and give it a try. You have nothing to loose. Typically cuttings to be propagated are cut during the dormant season; but that's an option you just don't get under these circumstances.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 01:27 PM

Good info T-Rex
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 03:56 PM

Do it quick before any bud's dry out.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 09:57 PM

centuryorchards will graft them for you for $18
Posted By: countrygun

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/22/18 11:31 PM

you will need a misting table to root green cutting. Or put some soilless media in an aquarium w/ a top, put your green cutting in the media (a lil root hormone helps) and mist it 3-5 times a day.
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 12:05 AM

Thanks for all the feedback i did the root hormone stuff and put them in sandy mix with the little greenhouse tops on, i guess i will wait and see what happens , traprjohn i sure did not know a person could still get the old time stuff , thanks for posting about Century Orchards also. i will keep everyone posted on how this turns out.
Posted By: goatman

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 12:34 PM

Lee Valley Haven't done this yet but have the stuff to do it. Cloning trees. If the link doesn't work search Lee Valley Tools rooter pot.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 12:52 PM

We have an Apple tree that fell over about 12+ years ago. I guess we got lucky cause that sucker is still growing about 18” off the ground. Produces good apples almost every year. My son has a blind right beside it.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 01:23 PM

Build one of these...

Very inexpensive, parts are easy to find on Amazon and it works.

I rooted several cuttings in the last month including pear, apple, cherry and grape.

There is a bit of a learning curve to success with it, but I'm getting the hang of it now.

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 01:36 PM

At this point, I suspect your best chance of propagation is from the roots. I know the success rate ain't great, so try a whole bunch.

I do hope you are a young man, or have some interested young heirs to share your interest. It'll take five or ten years to verify success.
Posted By: Gun Nut

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 01:41 PM

Hey, don't forget you should have some seeds in this years apples.

Gun Nut

Re: Apple tree sprouts - 08/23/18 01:47 PM

Seeds might grow, but, their fruit rarely resembles that of the parent.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums