Home

Bears in food plots

Posted By: Owen156

Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 03:00 AM

I've got bears tearing up my sorghum plot. Is there any remedy other than shooting or an electric fence?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 03:06 AM

Zap or a Blast
Posted By: EdP

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 11:26 AM

Some folks in this part of Va have the same bear problem with their corn crop. They got some help from allowing coon hunters to hunt their property. The dogs don't go after the bears but apparently just the activity of the dogs and hunters in the woods drove the bears away and reduced crop losses.

Just for the record, I don't have coon dogs or coon hunt.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 12:50 PM

Have you tried Plot Saver? I know it works on the deer.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 01:40 PM

they were just startin to get into mine,then the neighbors field corn came ripe about the same time and they aint touched it since.learned good timing my first few yrs and they lived in it till the corn got ripe.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 02:59 PM

Bears around here love corn. I've seen fields that look like crop circles after bears have been trashing them

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/26/18 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: EdP
Some folks in this part of Va have the same bear problem with their corn crop. They got some help from allowing coon hunters to hunt their property. The dogs don't go after the bears but apparently just the activity of the dogs and hunters in the woods drove the bears away and reduced crop losses.

Just for the record, I don't have coon dogs or coon hunt.

As much as I don't like dog hunting I wish a pack of hounds would come through here and chase them to Richmond. I had one big boar in the plot last night and a sow with 3 cubs the night before.

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/28/18 11:35 PM

I tried a little experiment and put a FM radio in the foodplot tuned to a black christian holy roller station blasting music all night long. So far, 3 nights and no bears. I have cameras at both places they come in the plot and they come will come and stare at the plot, but will not come out of the woods. I wonder how long before they acclimate to the radio and come in and eat the darn thing. I started to try and find a rap station but I just don't hate the bears that much.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 12:10 AM

LOL, Likely shrivel up the corn!
Posted By: charles

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 12:30 AM

What is something the bear rather have? Friend once got an 80lb molasses block and put it out. Bears rolled it over and over for what must have been hours per day. It was indestructible.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Owen156
I tried a little experiment and put a FM radio in the foodplot tuned to a black christian holy roller station blasting music all night long. So far, 3 nights and no bears. I have cameras at both places they come in the plot and they come will come and stare at the plot, but will not come out of the woods. I wonder how long before they acclimate to the radio and come in and eat the darn thing. I started to try and find a rap station but I just don't hate the bears that much.

Bears are SLAVES to thier stomachs!
When they wanna eat, there is NO noise that'll keep em away.
Bear could give a crap less..
Seen it WAY To Many times!

My favorite stand of all times is about 100 yards from a major hiway bridge. Can't say how many bears I've seen (100's) when people park,shoot while parked at the bridge. M
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 02:20 AM

Pop music should make them puke I would think!! Lol
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Owen156

Bears are freaking annoying.

Posted By: swift4me

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 12:28 PM

I know a guy in Alberta who plants a couple hundred acres of corn (fenced with barbed wire) as winter feed for his cattle. We hunt coyotes around it in the fall and the bear damage is impressive. I know that barbed wire is no problem for a hungry bear but even so, once they have a way in it gets ugly fast.

As for the black rock/gospel music that seems to be working, after it stops working try an endless loop of Barry Manilow. I heard they use it in North Korean prisons to break the toughest men down.

Pete
Posted By: Osky

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 12:45 PM

I know of a fellow here, ahem, who a week plus ago left a radio blasting rap crap music blaring all night at a sight where he was re-building a bear stand. The bears tore that site up that night.

Tthat same guy is now getting pictures on his trail cams of bears with gold teeth, wearing hoodies. Gonna be an interesting hunt there I'm betting.

Osky
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 04:05 PM

It was classic rock you dolt wink
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 04:10 PM

hoot em Elizabeth,hoot em.

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/29/18 04:18 PM

So far no bear pics for two days but don't know how long it will last.
Posted By: andyva

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/30/18 01:53 AM

I feed Plotts to save food plots. There is a product you can spray directly on your food plot guaranteed to keep bear out of it though.

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/30/18 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: andyva
I feed Plotts to save food plots. There is a product you can spray directly on your food plot guaranteed to keep bear out of it though.

Care to share the name of the product?
Posted By: andyva

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/30/18 01:28 PM

Roundup. grin

Re: Bears in food plots - 08/30/18 09:28 PM

Funny, I prefer bush hog.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums