Home

Which MB’s to get for coyote

Posted By: payotetrapper

Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 04:42 AM

I’ve never used the MB traps before. I’m looking into buying a dozen this year. What would be the best size, specifically for coyote, maybe bobcat in future. Also to get offset or not? I was thinking about the 550 offset. Thanks for help
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 05:12 AM

550's work better in a mixed line IMO.....if you are only wanting coyotes and cats 650 is very good. Offset and cast.

550's are easier to release non-targets IMO.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 06:40 AM

I'd go with the 550. imo, the best designed MB trap.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 08:06 AM

I have 550s and 650s Cs. 650s are a lot better for coyotes, IMO

But to each his own.
Posted By: Btoutdoors

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 12:29 PM

I have both and prefer the 550 personally. Both are great traps I just feel the 550's are easier and quicker to set. Never had a problem holding a coyote in either.
Posted By: cpizzicharlie

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 12:43 PM

As stated the 550 and the 650 are great coyote traps, if you have some fox the 550 would be a good choice.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 01:04 PM

I run both. Prefer the 550. Much easier to set and bed. The biggest problem I have with the 650 is the 1/4" offset--coon pulled out last season. Indiana requires offset of 1/8" if your trap has a spread over 5.75" and some claim the 550 does between the posts (haven't measured, didn't want traps for different states).

550 in a step down dirt hole works very well. 650's really need to be at grade. Definitely go cast jaws. Getting caught in your own one time makes the investment seem cheap. If you go 550, just get 2 coil. 4 really isn't necessary with new springs, and setting a 4 coiled tires you out a lot faster.
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 02:29 PM

mb 550 regular jaw 2 coil. that is the best coyote trap out there for the money.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 02:58 PM

Yesterday morning I went to check some sets for coyote. We have had a lot of rain.

I get to the second set and there it was and thrashing around. It just pulled up with the 550 on its foot and the cable stake intake.

Off through the brush it went, me shortly behind but a lot slower.

After looking around for 15-20 minutes in the pine area, nothing.

I won't using anything less than a MB550 anymore.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 03:30 PM

MB 650 cast would be too big for Pa. The steel would be right at the 6.5" mark. Might make a difference whose tape measure is being used. I would have to be just a little over and get busted.

Go with the 550. I don't think I even had to level and of the pans.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 04:37 PM

I use both and like both.Sounds like you better check the jaw spread regs on the 650's.The 2 coiled 550's are easier to set and a little simpler trigger setup.I get consistent,above pad catches and high lock ups with each.Both have been fine for me,on red fox but I would consider neither,good for coons and grays,though the 550 would be slightly better.

If you like light pan tension,the 650 doesn't like to go that low,say,less than 2 1/2-3#.

If you are going to have a lot of snow/crusted ground,I'd give the nod to the 650.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 04:56 PM

I will also say,I prefer the laminated jaw 650 over the cast.The laminated jaw has a wider surface and that's the whole purpose of laminations and cast jaws.They are also much cheaper.The cast jaws on the 650 are too sharp edged for my liking and I wouldn't set them without addressing that.The single lammed are about $50 cheaper and I only file one edge of each jaw VS having to file both jaw edges on the 650's.The single lammed jaws are also a few ounces lighter,so,faster,though the cast is plenty fast enough.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Taximan
I will also say,I prefer the laminated jaw 650 over the cast.The laminated jaw has a wider surface and that's the whole purpose of laminations and cast jaws.They are also much cheaper.The cast jaws on the 650 are too sharp edged for my liking and I wouldn't set them without addressing that.The single lammed are about $50 cheaper and I only file one edge of each jaw VS having to file both jaw edges on the 650's.The single lammed jaws are also a few ounces lighter,so,faster,though the cast is plenty fast enough.

I disagree. I let fox go out of my 650 casts every year. Although only a couple per year, I've never seen a cut on any animal with the casts.
Another thing about cast over lams is the cast is rough like sandpaper. Even with the offsets, coon (or anything) doesn't slip out like smooth steel.

The first coon I caught in the 650Cs was a muddy coon by the foot taper. I prodded him to see if I could get him to slip it. He didn't.

I've had far more visible damage with my 550s.

Just my observations.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 06:28 PM

Calvin,we've had this conversation before.The cast jaw 650's have sharper edges that the 550's plus the 650 is much heavier.This equals more damage and I see it every season,even though I rounded the cast jaw edges before ever setting them.I catch about 15-20 red fox a year and I run cast jaw 650's.IL 650's and 2 coiled OS 550's side by side.

I wondered if the longer checks might have made the difference.Last year I caught a red that had severe damage,in a cast jaw 650.I won't photograph something like that and hate to even talk about it but it happened.I had just checked that trap 12 hrs before catching it.That was way,unacceptable.

I have since,gone back and radiused those cast jaw edges even more and that seems to be making a difference.I had originally tried to emulate the radius of the 550 jaw edges,but still getting damage,I realized that wasn't enough,probably due to the extra trap weight and size The cast jaw 650 weighs 11.2 oz more than the 2 coiled.

The single lammed 650's get less damage than the cast.I take the sharp,un-laminated jaw edge down,with a file,so they aren't "right out of the box",condition.Like I said before,the single lams have a wider jaw surface so I don't buy the cast jaws any more.I know how to radius them to cut down on that damage but I'm not going to pay $50 more,and have to aggressively file all 4 jaw edges on each trap times however many dozen.

I still love the 650 but the IL version is my pick for less work,less damage and way less cost.
Posted By: MB+550trapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 06:50 PM

I personally like the 550 for coyote, but the 650 is great in frozen ground it has a lot of power you do not want to get your hand caught in it i have and it HURTS.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 08:24 PM

I wonder what the difference is then, Taximan. Only thing I can think of is that I run short chains... And my 550s aren't offset. My catches show about opposite of your findings. I'm on a 24 hr check here....which in reality isn't a whole 24 hrs after the catch.

I got the 650s Cs after Asa experienced the same on his fox...as I let all my fox go here, if I can. I've had to keep a couple in 550s.

I like to test, so thought about getting some 550 O/S. But personally I just didn't think a ton of the #2 sized 550 when dealing with mainly coyotes. It shows all the characteristics of every other #2....from what I've seen.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 09:10 PM

You guys have already touched on it but I believe chain length has a lot to do with damage. Not to say a sharp edge isn't a factor but I've seen what I believe to be easier on the catch is either a very short chain or a longer chain. I've went to all short just for the convenience factor like 6-8 inches and have very little to no damage. I use 550s along with other brands, some lamd. some not and the 550s are my favorite.
Getting a good pad catch instead of higher up is why I prefer a slightly smaller trap.
Posted By: MOcoyotes

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 09:19 PM

You will be very pleased with a dozen mb 550 offset. These are coyote catching machines. Enjoy and good trapping.
Greg.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/05/18 09:35 PM

Well,I have never used a closed jaw 550 so maybe that is the difference?If you like the larger trap,I'd stay with that.The 650's are excellent traps-all versions.I just find the IL version more practical for a number of reasons.I also use short chains,app 10",with 2 swivels.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 01:29 AM

I also don't believe the fox fight the bigger trap as much as the smaller traps. Asa believed this was the case years ago...and why I finally tried them where I might catch fox. From what I see, he was correct (for my area) But we all know what works for one, doesn't always work for another. That's the Funny thing about trapping.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 01:48 AM

Makes sense Calvin. most of my land traps are #2 size, I guess it's what one gets used to and old habits die hard.
Posted By: scabtrapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Btoutdoors
I have both and prefer the 550 personally. Both are great traps I just feel the 550's are easier and quicker to set. Never had a problem holding a coyote in either.

X2

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 03:15 AM

Keep in mind that even though the MB550 is 5 1/2" across,it is wider than the MB650,from pivot to pivot.

Here is a picture of the factory,cast jaw edge,the 550 edge and the most recent radius I put on the 650,cast jaw edges.I think they will work well now.

Posted By: MChewk

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 12:39 PM

Good post and great info on these two fine traps! I like the 650s...I have used them from their introduction and tested them for Tim. We are on a 24 hr ck here...believe it or not when I tested the REGULAR offset jaw no lam.s here in Illinois....I had very little issues. I believe it is the temperament of each individual fur bearer that causes issues...just my take.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/06/18 01:18 PM

MB650's here

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 01:50 AM

There is always the 600 Hybrid,of course,which is the best of both worlds.

Posted By: yukonal

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 01:02 PM

What is the story with the Hybrid 600?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 02:08 PM

Yukonal,I fit 650,IL jaws to a 550 and added a longer,rod dog.The jaw spread is 6 1/8",outside,so only 3/8" less than an MB 650 but wider,hinge to hinge and the weight is exactly the same as the MB 550.I just ground the jaw ends to let the 550 levers ride up,spread the jaw ends out a bit and added the longer dog.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 02:38 PM

Taxi did you add the kink less chain or do the 550’s come with that ?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 06:06 PM

I added that,GB.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 06:18 PM

I really like it, Taxi. Great job.

I'm in the process of designing a dogless trap on the 550 frame, and love the 650 jaw idea. And, I use all 4 coils, so shouldn't have a problem with the bigger jaws.

*Do you remember the exact helper springs you added to 4 coil them?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 06:41 PM

Yukonal,the finished 650 jaws weigh the same as the 550 jaws.I used Taos lightning springs but any you currently use would work.You need a 1 7/8" rod dog.The jaws are special order and cost $8.00 per pair.I built those traps from all new parts as that was a little cheaper than buying a trap and changing jaws and dog.

I told you wrong.I rummaged around and found that I bought MB 550,4 coil springs from FNT Post.
Posted By: mainer

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 07:06 PM

Taximan, what is it about the 550 frame that you find advantageous over the 650 frame? Is it that you have a dogged rather than a dogless frame?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: mainer
Taximan, what is it about the 550 frame that you find advantageous over the 650 frame? Is it that you have a dogged rather than a dogless frame?

I always thought for as long as that trap is,hinge to hinge,that it could take more jaw spread.It also makes for a lot lighter trap that has a loose jaw,pit pan and is a little easier to set.

A few years ago,MT tried to pass a law,mandating 3/8" thick jaws.That is based on APHIS guidelines and could still happen one day.If it does,all my MB 550's and cast jaw 650's will be illegal.They may be advertised as 3/8" but the calipers say no.The IL 650 jaws easily make the cut.With the cost of shipping,I decided I'd rather modify what I have,to make a trap that would meet those specs and have more jaw spread,without adding one ounce of weight.I believe they probably have more square inches of space,inside the jaws,than the 650's,weigh 12 oz less than the 650 cast and are easier to set.Not knocking the 650.I like it too.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 08:53 PM

A lot has already been said, but i'll take the 550's over my 650's. They are just so much easier to bed and hold anything that gets in them solid. Also its been said and stressed, but the 650's without laminated or cast jaws are really hard on the paws of anything that gets in them.
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 09:09 PM

Both traps have their place, I took Taxi's idea with the hybrid MB600 and sent some to Tom Stalker. My old PC died or I would post pics. Jim Did you happen to save the pics I sent you? If you did please post. Stalker installed a #2 Bridger pan and dogless system and customized the spring pins. With 650 jaws bent to fit the 550 base. Jaw spread 6". Tom Stalker won't build more till I prove them and he is done with mod work for this year.

Before the snow hits I use more 550s, then after snows hit 650's get it done.. The 600 hybrid should do both..
Posted By: mainer

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Taximan
Originally Posted By: mainer

I always thought for as long as that trap is,hinge to hinge,that it could take more jaw spread.It also makes for a lot lighter trap that has a loose jaw,pit pan and is a little easier to set.

A few years ago,MT tried to pass a law,mandating 3/8" thick jaws.That is based on APHIS guidelines and could still happen one day.If it does,all my MB 550's and cast jaw 650's will be illegal.They may be advertised as 3/8" but the calipers say no.The IL 650 jaws easily make the cut.With the cost of shipping,I decided I'd rather modify what I have,to make a trap that would meet those specs and have more jaw spread,without adding one ounce of weight.I believe they probably have more square inches of space,inside the jaws,than the 650's,weigh 12 oz less than the 650 cast and are easier to set.Not knocking the 650.I like it too.

Thank you, Taximan. Great answer!

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Both traps have their place, I took Taxi's idea with the hybrid MB600 and sent some to Tom Stalker. My old PC died or I would post pics. Jim Did you happen to save the pics I sent you? If you did please post. Stalker installed a #2 Bridger pan and dogless system and customized the spring pins. With 650 jaws bent to fit the 550 base. Jaw spread 6". Tom Stalker won't build more till I prove them and he is done with mod work for this year.

Before the snow hits I use more 550s, then after snows hit 650's get it done.. The 600 hybrid should do both..

I'm not sure Gary.I think that was in an email.I'll look for it.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 10:31 PM

Yep Tax I emailed the pics. Yuk, didn't I PM the pics to you also?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 10:42 PM

I'm not sure but I thought it was just the email?

Do you remember what month you got your traps?

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 11:05 PM

April or may Tax

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 11:15 PM

Taxi, I just resent the pics to your email.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 11:58 PM

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/07/18 11:59 PM

Thanks Man, Okay the levers and pan are from the Bridger #2, same adjustable dogless set up as the Bridgers. 650 jaws lamed to 5/16th. Stalker custom sprin pins, the levers are reinforced across the top to control torque. I used the 4 coil springs from MB550s on 3 and the JC Conner lightning springs for the MB550 on 4. Stock 550 main springs. Jaw spread ouside is 6 1/8. I cut the spring pins off after I received and installed JCs spring clips.

Almost forgot, they bed like a dream...

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/08/18 12:03 AM

It took me a minute.I had to figure out how to reduce them.Those are nice.Is the outside jawspread 6 1/2"? I can't remember.
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/08/18 12:41 AM

If I HAD to run an MB brand trap (and you’d have to hold a gun to my head) it’d be the 550.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/10/18 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: trappergbus
Yep Tax I emailed the pics. Yuk, didn't I PM the pics to you also?

Ya, you pm'ed me. But...they are gone. shocked

Perhaps I got extremely jealous and deleted the pm.

Taxi, thanks for posting those pics. Gary, that is just plain awesome. That's the trap I have in mind to try to build. I see now, it would be the trap to...duplicate.

OK, Gary, I have Taxi's pics saved in my trapping folder. Gosh, that should be the shizzle. wink
Posted By: payotetrapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/13/18 01:37 AM

I think I’ve read through this all three times now to see if I’ve missed anything. Sounds like I can’t go wrong with any of them! Thanks everyone for their posts!
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 02:30 AM

Ttt
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
I have 550s and 650s Cs. 650s are a lot better for coyotes, IMO

But to each his own.

Love my 650s

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 02:39 AM

Headed into 13th year with only MB 550 OS 2-coil. Stock chain. 16" chain super stake. Waxed dirt when needed. Poly.
Good to roll.

Fox, coyotes, and bobcats and the occasional mountain lion grin

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: DWC

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 02:53 AM

My 550’s came with a trowel and they dig their own bed and then bed themselves. Or so it seems.

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 03:09 AM

Can't go wrong with 550s. As far as the jaw its dependent on your goals, imo. Market here I like to use rubber jaws and offsets. I use 450s also in foxier spots. This may attract some haters, and to each his own, but I never could get sold on the 650, 750s and have used both. Great traps, I just don't like the mechanism.
JMO
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Headed into 13th year with only MB 550 OS 2-coil. Stock chain. 16" chain super stake. Waxed dirt when needed. Poly.
Good to roll.

Fox, coyotes, and bobcats and the occasional mountain lion grin

Blessings,
Mark

How much pan pressure do you maintain on your 550’s. I like 3 lbs. and after several years of use, they go below that. In fact, some of the new ones I bought were at 2/12 pounds.
Posted By: 330 Belisle

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 05:55 AM

Don't, buy the No BS K9 extremes
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Which MB’s to get for coyote - 09/11/21 12:17 PM

550 all the way. Bed easy and hold anything I trap on land. 2 coil offset.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums