Home

#1 Straight link chain?

Posted By: Law Dog

#1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 01:42 PM

Who carries it tried a web search and they had so many options I just hate to order another 100 feet of what I already have or don't need they have several names and sizes and some crazy prices for chain on the web. Looking for a chain to go from the trigger rod to the step on peddle for cages.

I like the same chains on all of my cages rather then using scrap pieces the twin loop will work fine but the straight link is a better fit that holds it's adjustment better (won't bend out of adjustment). Some had the O/1 size and some just had a straight number so it's confusing. Looking for a size about that of a #1 Victor chain size but in the straight loop style.
Posted By: odiferous

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 02:02 PM

Try MTP. If they don't have it, you don't need it. LOL

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 02:18 PM

No dealer has it that I could find probably either too small or spendy to carry it, heading to the local supply store will see what they carry.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 02:36 PM

I see peerless has a #4 size which has a working load of 210lbs.

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 02:37 PM

https://www.mfrexpress.com/4x100-machine...phoCgC4QAvD_BwE
Posted By: odiferous

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Law Dog
No dealer has it that I could find probably either too small or spendy to carry it, heading to the local supply store will see what they carry.

Gotcha. Local hardware, Tractor supply, if you have them in your area?

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 03:49 PM

Yep I need to get some in hand and see how the sizing goes I have 200 feet of #2 straight link now I don't need another 100 feet of something I can't use is the issue! LOL Some is marketed as 2/0 and some by just a regular number I need to figure out the difference before I buy any more.

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 04:11 PM

The stuff I linked to is .12" diameter and .79" long OD and and .45" wide OD.

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/13/18 05:59 PM

That might be it, the stuff I need measures 1/2 wide and 3/4 long on a tape measure. Thanks

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 07:56 PM

Yep #4 is the smaller size the price is all over the map cheapest is around $35 on Amazon and the local feed and hardware store only wants $28 for a 20 foot piece I about fell over! LOL

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 08:02 PM

Yeah, same thing for cable what we get from snare supplies shops for 7-10 cents a foot is at least 32 cents a foot. The gamma seal lids I use for buckets are 10$ at the local do it bests and 3 at Menards
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 08:20 PM

Standards for welded link chain sizing does not match the number used by the trapping industry. If you go by the chain standards, #2 chain is heavier/bigger than #3 chain. But when you buy from a trapping supply, it is the opposite. Do not know how it got that way but it is confusing, especially if you are trying to find chain that is a certain size compared to the trapping side of the business.

Here is a link to the National Association of Chain Manufacturers standards: NACM Standards

Scroll down to Table VII on page 9 for the specs for straight link machine chain. There are also tables for twist link and other types of chain as well. Maybe this will be helpful trying to source a specific size chain.

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 08:29 PM

That's why I put my hands on a box of what I needed to get the right number rather then guess and guess wrong! LOL

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 09:03 PM

I had a piece I got on a trade that was long but ran out so I had no clue what size it was to buy some more, it makes for a nice cage chain and holds the adjustment better then loop chains that bend and stretch more.
Posted By: tjm

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/14/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: QuietButDeadly
Standards for welded link chain sizing does not match the number used by the trapping industry. If you go by the chain standards, #2 chain is heavier/bigger than #3 chain. But when you buy from a trapping supply, it is the opposite. Do not know how it got that way but it is confusing, especially if you are trying to find chain that is a certain size compared to the trapping side of the business.

Here is a link to the National Association of Chain Manufacturers standards: NACM Standards

Scroll down to Table VII on page 9 for the specs for straight link machine chain. There are also tables for twist link and other types of chain as well. Maybe this will be helpful trying to source a specific size chain.
I think the trapping places are metric/Asian measure, but that doesn't matter.
Now mike the wire and measure the links of the chain you want to match and compare to charts for both coil and machine chain, wire diameter will put you in the ball park and the nominal inside dimensions will give you the approximate link size.

This link may help; http://file.seekpart.com/keywordpdf/2010/12/22/2010122211652484.pdf

Re: #1 Straight link chain? - 09/15/18 02:06 PM

Some good generous folks on here I had a few offers of free chains but I will trade for them but I really do appreciate the offers but won't take them for free!

Kind of restores my faith in my fellow man a bit I do thank you guys for the offers. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums