Home

Hummingbird Solix fishfinder

Posted By: hrdtoflw

Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 11:24 AM

Do any of you fisherman own one of these? I am in negotiations to purchase a boat, which is rigged with a MinnKota I-Pilot link trolling motor. I think that motor will only link to Hummingbird products, which I have aways had in the past, without any issues. I am looking at adding a Solix 10 mega si gps unit, or a Helix 10 mega si gps unit. The solix has a faster processor and is touch screen, but the Helix will do most of what the Solix will.
I am wanting to know the pros and cons, as they are not cheap. I have read lots of reviews and info online, but that is not like talking with someone that actually owns one!
Posted By: late bite

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 02:37 PM

I would try the bassboatcentral.com forums for questions like that.... That is where I go for my Hummingbird questions............
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 03:10 PM

I have the Helix 10 on one of my boats along with an 858 and 898. On another boat I have two helix 5's and I also have a Helix 5 portable so you could say I really like the Helix series.

The Helix 10 will do everything I need it to, and while the touch screen would be nice, the Solix is a lot more money and not that many more features in my opinion.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 03:18 PM

I have a 898 and a Helix 5. I have the 899 linked to my minn Kota which I love. I want to upgrade to a Helix 10 and move the 899 to the front. I decided against the touch screen, although I think it would be easier to use I catfish most of the the time and the skipjack, shad scales and slime i'm afraid would be a night mare.
Posted By: bluegilln

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 04:12 PM

hrdtoflw,

I have a solix and the I-pilot Link. I also have a Onix and the 360 transom mount. What's your questions? Glad to help any way I can.

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bluegilln
hrdtoflw,

I have a solix and the I-pilot Link. I also have a Onix and the 360 transom mount. What's your questions? Glad to help any way I can.
No particular question, due to the fact I have never had anything like this. I am using a Helix 5 DI now, so the Solix will be a new experience for me. Do you use yours with mapping, and use the link? I will most likely go with the solix, mainly because of the touch screen. I have had my last boat for 22 years, and now I will make a major upgrade. I am feeling like a kid in a candy store. Thanks guys.

Posted By: bluegilln

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/14/18 06:54 PM

They are a solid unit. The mega imaging is great. You will find that you will be wanting to kick your own butt shortly for not already having one. The follow the contour option and the spot lock option will be used most. I don't use the mapping as much. Mark lots of way points and sit on them or spider rig from spot to spot. Having a boat that drives itself while you focus on the screen is great. Also at the top of the handy list is not getting blown off your spot while getting fish off, re-rigging or getting snacks. If you ever fish with kids its even more handy.

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/16/18 03:31 PM

I have decided to go with the Solix, and sent the sales rep at the dealer the info. I will be purchasing this boat from Jeff Jones Marine in Ky. Local dealers seem to not want to sell me a boat, as thier prices are too high. So off to Kentucky I go. I will wait until I use the boat some to decide on electronics up front.
Bluegillin, I will be calling you soon , and thanks to all for the info and advice.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/16/18 07:27 PM

There's 10's of thousands of owners at www.iboats.com if ya need more info

Re: Hummingbird Solix fishfinder - 09/16/18 08:09 PM

Thanks traprjohn. I had forgot about that site, and I remember you suggesting that before. I think it will be best to have the unit in hand before I ask too much, due to the fact that I may not be able to follow along. I have had a simple Helix 5 for a few years, which has been helpfull. I have never had any really sophisticated equipment before, but the kids and I have always managed to catch fish.
I should have it in hand within the next two weeks, if my work schedule will allow.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums