Home

K-9 trappers what is your boot material?

Posted By: Furvor

K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 02:36 AM

Boots you wear when trapping K-9's - are they rubber, leather, or what?

I use insulated rubber soled leather hunting boots for their light weight and comfort, and because I walk on rock too often. Rubber boots might leave less scent.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 02:42 AM

I wear rubber boots but only because most of my trapping, including k9s, is from a boat so I’m stepping in mud and water all the time. If I trap them by truck I don’t worry about it because I’m pretty sure a coyote knows I was there no matter what I wear. Having said that I try to avoid smelling worse that I already naturally do.

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 02:50 AM

I guess the real question is whether or not rubber boots would make a difference in the amount of human scent or how long it takes to dissipate. Theory is one thing. What trappers actually use may be another.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 02:54 AM

I wear rubber knee boots, only because some places I have are near marsh and sometimes I have to walk in or around some water.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:01 AM

I wear the rubber boots to keep my feet dry I don't worry about the scent that much dry/windy here sometimes I wear just leather boots if it's a dry spell.
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:03 AM

Leather lace up hunting boots that I clean thoroughly before season, then go ahead. I can’t stand a full day in knee boots. Also SIZE 15 insulated so they are so large that it is difficult to shift on the ATV or use the pedals on the UTV.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:03 AM

Oldtime Lacrosse grange boots before deer season, pacs after.

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:05 AM

Still looking for a good pair of rubber boots that will hold up for a season or two lots of spendy junk out there!
Posted By: LDW

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:13 AM

Muck Boots. Comfortable and may help with scent control.
Posted By: Red89

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 03:15 AM

I just trap in my leather cowboy boots. It doesn't make a difference on scent. Your body sloughs off so many skin cells, it doesn't matter. If they care, they might need a couple days to work the set. If they don't, then hopefully you will get them the first night.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 09:48 AM

I just have a pair of Irish setter and a pair of pronghorn hunting boots I wear. Not rubber.
In winter I have some pacs.
Wearing these every day checking sets after awhile I know they smell like the skunks, coons, possums, coyotes, foxes, Badgers, and anything else we catch. Step into any catch circle and bound to pic up some odors even rubber will do that. If I wear these outside and the neighbors dog comes over, he is ALL OVER my shoes instantly checking out the odors. Did same thing when I used to wear rubber hip boots to run couple line, he was ALL over those boots checking out the smells. Rubber does too pick up odors, if you think it won't please smear some dunlaps hellfire on them, try to wash it off and then see if your wife can detect the skunk odor I'd wager she still can...mine can.
Now after not focusing so much on trying to be odor free I have caught way more coyotes, had way more fun, and i just wear what's comfortable and warm but try of course to not walk through puddles of oil, gas, be around smokers, etc. I am not concerned about type of shoe they all pick up odors just only concerned about where I use them. And they seem to get better and better after every catch and remake I'm standing at!
Don't focus on the scent thing too much just be sensible about it.
I don't know if rubber or leather are better for containing my stink, but I do know both will pick up and hold other smells like catch circle odors, so to me it doesn't matter a hill of beans for scent control I just need to be able walk comfortably and stay warm.
Jim

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 11:27 AM

Trapping in my youth I shadowed a guy who would roll out a mat and walk to the set, make it then walk back to the trail, roll the mat up, toss in his basket and continue on. Did it help having his scent on the trail but not 5' off where he set? Perhaps it was in remote locations. My father-in-law drives to the shop then walks to and from where folks leave their vehicles for service. That same evening they leave tracks in his foot steps.
Posted By: Sac Creek

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 12:50 PM

Cowboy boots when it’s dry. I’ll wear muck boots when it’s cold and wet.
Posted By: BullOx

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 12:53 PM

Just rubber boots

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/29/18 02:27 PM

Spent the bucks for the Alpha Burly boots that cost over $100 and went through that pair and another pair at a similar cost both cheap material and seams cracked. I have a cheap pair of Drake boots that lasted me 4 years so far and are still going just need heavy socks to keep the feet warm in the cold spells. $40 boots last years and $125.00 won't last a season but look pretty? LOL
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 01:34 PM

Cabela's outfitters boots, gortex
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 01:41 PM

I think that is a good question. When I set my traps I wear rubber hip boots. I get yote activity then but when I am checking and remaking I wear leather style work boots and the activity stops. Is it because of the made catch and remake or is it because now I am leaving more scent at the set. Not trying to hijack the post but maybe add to it.
Posted By: Acoody

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 01:47 PM

Depends on weather anything from tennis shoes to insulated hunting boots I’m trapping farms so coyotes smell humans everywhere
Posted By: tbn

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 01:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Furvor
I guess the real question is whether or not rubber boots would make a difference in the amount of human scent or how long it takes to dissipate. Theory is one thing. What trappers actually use may be another.

I don't think every trapper putting up hundreds of coyotes are all wearing the same boot.

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 02:21 PM

A guy once asked how can a coon hound find it's owner if he's wearing rubber boot? LOL Odor left is not just from the feet alone that a K-9 can pick up on you would think. A deer 50 yards away is not picking up on your boots alone he is picking up on you!

He's going to know your were there just get in and out ASAP kind of like they don't fear a truck driving around odor wise but if you change your oil next to a set it might hurt your chances. LOL

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 03:05 PM

Quote:
I’m trapping farms so coyotes smell humans everywhere

A good point. Presumably a coyote living amongst small farms would be more acclimated to human odor than a western coyote that roams 5+ square miles of cattle ranches and desert.
Posted By: mjh

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 09/30/18 04:40 PM

regular old leather cat slip on boots that I wear all day at work. people really need to get over the human scent bull shid
Posted By: trappermac NY

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 10/01/18 12:16 AM

I wear Muck boots, and water proof chaps as I kneel to make a set. Like to keep dry, not so much for scent control but it probably helps a little. I can wear both and my dog knows everywhere I was. No matter what, they know you were there.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 10/01/18 01:57 AM

I've seen tests done with dogs trained to find people and rubber boots do nothing to hinder the ability of the Dog to find someone. So I don't see any reason to believe they would help in trapping.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 10/01/18 02:26 AM

Wear what is comfortable, if you are comfortable you stay out longer, the longer you stay out the more sets you make, the more sets you make the more varmits you catch.
Posted By: bandy

Re: K-9 trappers what is your boot material? - 10/01/18 02:54 AM

I wear rubber boots to keep my feet dry and warm there is know way you can keep your sent from a set unless you are in a rubber bubble and then the rubber bubble will leave sent on the set. Oh my boots are lacrosse burley alfa 1000gr insulation the only place you should worry about sent is the trap and it's got to be rock solid in the ground I have taken a leak on a set that took a coyote the same night.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums