Home

Human illness related to beavers?

Posted By: AJE

Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 06:47 AM

See bottom 1/2 of page 14. Anyone hear of trappers ever having issues with this?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...PzHOkyGo3_hLON8
Posted By: trapete

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 08:24 AM

Not trapping related but I know a guy who had Giardia aka Beaver fever . He was sick for a few weeks, not a pretty sight. He got it by ingesting water that Beavers frequented.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 10:11 AM

giardia and tularemia both can be carried by other animals. lots of different virus and fungal spores can be in dirt.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 11:07 AM

I got giardia after a canoe trip to James Bay.

Unbelievable stomach cramps for days, and constant pooping.

Antibiotics of something cleared it up but wow! Trying to do a roof shingle job was impossible
Posted By: sgs

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 11:17 AM

I had giardia as a teen. Was drinking out of streams/ponds while hiking. Pretty rough on the gut but it eventually goes away.

I've always been warned to wear gloves when butchering rabbits, squirrels and other rodents due to the risk of tularemia. I've never heard of beavers having it but they're rodents so it's possible I guess.

I've never heard of blastomycosis before.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 11:20 AM

Had a dog die of blastomycosis. It's a hot bed for it in my town, and apparently only my town and area.

Thought only dogs got it
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 11:28 AM

A Oldtimer told me about he and a buddy who went to Canada to trap muskrats and mink during the depression.
Long story short they did very well and were skinning there catch his friend rolled up his sleeves and the claws of one of the rats scratched his arm which later swelled up something awful. Needless to say a big part of the profit went to a Dr's visit
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 01:10 PM

Went elk hunting in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area a few years ago. Bathed in the river. Got some in my mouth apparently. Beaver fever. Got home and wow, diarrhea. Couldn't lift anything. Couldn't process my elk, wife was great. Antibiotics and rest. Call from local health nurse wondering where I got it. Don't want it again.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 01:15 PM

I thought this was a post about marriage? grin
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 01:46 PM

I've heard giradia referred to as GFED syndrome-green frothy explosive diarrhea. I've never had it and hope I never do.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 02:20 PM

You can get a lot worse from carnivores.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 06:20 PM

Had a dog die of Blasto in 2012. People get it too, but our bodies usually fight it off. For dogs it is a death sentence without treatment, which can take up to three years. Nasty stuff!
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 06:38 PM

Giardia lamblia used to be more prevalent when people weren’t aware that drinking untreated river, pond or reservoir water wasn’t good for them. When I started my career in public health I interviewed lots of people who had it. “Back in the day” the treatments were hit or miss, but the diarrhea symptom was “spot on”. I’m not sure what is used for treatment today but it’s gotten much better. It also helped that people learned that treating surface water before drinking was the best way to avoid getting it in the first place.

It also helped that people realized their dog rolled in dead things; the giardia cysts got on the fur; and that handwashing after petting/handling fur of any kind was a good thing to do.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 06:38 PM

I have had both salmonella food poisoning and giardia. They both were horrible. Good weight loss program though!!! LOL
Posted By: trapr

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Computer Hater
I have had both salmonella food poisoning and giardia. They both were horrible. Good Effective weight loss program though!!! LOL

Had to change it, been there with both and good had nothing to do with it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: loosegoose
I've heard giradia referred to as GFED syndrome-green frothy explosive diarrhea. I've never had it and hope I never do.

You ever see the pic of the slug looking things lining the intestine wall you would know why it does what it will do don't forget about the gut wrenching cramps that come with it! No fun
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Human illness related to beavers? - 09/30/18 11:39 PM

My brother and I got something like that about 50 yrs ago from eating frogs out of stagnant pond water.
Also have got it twice in the mountains of Wyoming from the water I'm sure.
None of it was much fun. First was the worst.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums