Home

HELP Truck caps

Posted By: Scuba1

HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 06:52 PM

I don't know a thing about those contraptions. But need one for my truck. I am looking for something used. Are they one size fits all of model specific. I want to put it on a 2005 Single cap Dodge Ram 1500. Saw one on craigslist thats on a 2001 Toyota Tundra crew cab. Anyone have a Tundra of that vintage and know the inside measurements of the top of the bed ?? If its close I'll go and get the thing and fabricobble the rest together if need be.
Posted By: warrior

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 07:04 PM

Model specific these days.
Posted By: goldnut

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 07:09 PM

I think the tundra will be too short. I bought one from craigslist a few years ago. Just call the seller and have him measure it to be certain. That worked for me.

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 08:07 PM

I'll do that and thanks for the heads up
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 09:45 PM

you need to measure your box

if you a single cab you may have an 8 foot box those are a lot easier to find than 6 foot 6 inches like I have.

everyone used to have a 8 foot bed and a topper was a topper as long as you were talking ford chevy dodge. it is when crew or super or hatever thier call it cabs with backseats of varying sizes they all went goofy.

most of them now have a 3rd brake light you wire in to one of your tail lights
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 10:51 PM

I have a used fiberglass topper that fits an 8 ft box. Had it on a 95 F150 and also used it on a 2003 F350. I plan to measure the inside & outside dimensions and advertise it on CL pretty soon.

Re: HELP Truck caps - 09/30/18 11:44 PM

Yep my box is 6'6"
Posted By: Zim

Re: HELP Truck caps - 10/01/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Model specific these days.

I'll say. I bought a new 2014 Ram pickup with what I guess they call a club cab, it has back doors but not a full size backseat and a 6'4" bed.
Ordered my new topper and had the folks put it on. Matched the truck color perfectly and off we went. (Raider cap and I like them) Next I hear the thing banging against the back of the cab when we hit a bump. Got home, it fits the bed perfect but not the cab. Turns out the dealer sent the wrong info to the manufacturer.
Ram makes a full 4 door pickup with a 6'4" bed (most folks get a 5'7"bed in this config) and the cab is slightly different.
My dealer is a great guy and got me the right one. $1500 oops on his part and he just shook his head and laughed.

Zim
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: HELP Truck caps - 10/01/18 01:34 AM

I am keeping an eye out for a 6.5 topper for a 2004 F150 but they only had that size and style from 2004 to 2008 apparently so not many around. it is really more like 6'8" inches than a true 6'6".
© 2024 Trapperman Forums