Home

Unistrut/ Superstrut Users

Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 12:04 PM

Need some input on figuring this stuff out please. After seeing all the pics of folks using the unistrut system on here for hanging stretchers I decided to look into it for the fur shed. I went down to the Home Depot and found Superstrut brand on the shelf. I had all the hardware in hand and the pipe clamps to run in the tracks about to checkout when I thought about something...... How do you mount it to the ceilings/ rafters without mounting bolt/ screw interfering with the clamp freely sliding up and down the track?

I tried this in the store with several different type blot heads used for mounting and they all seemed to have some interference with the clamp sliding back and forth on the tracks. I obviously don't want to invest the time and money into something to hold my stretchers if I can not make it work 100% the way it is supposed to. I am not the most mechanically inclined and I am probably missing something here. Thanks
Posted By: Wildkaat

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 12:35 PM

If you get the 1 5/8” unistrut you should have over an inch of clearance if your using 3/4” conduit clamps bolted to your stretchers. No need to slide them just lift aand turn clamp comes right out of the unistrut.
Posted By: Fur trapping

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 12:54 PM

I used drywall screws with a fender washer.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 01:26 PM

I drilled and countersunk holes between the slots in the unistrut and used flat head screws so they are flush with the surface. No bolt head sticking down.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 01:36 PM

If you run your screw/bolt all the way down till the head is touching the bottom of the channel you'll have plenty of room.

Mike
Posted By: lcd

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Wildkaat
If you get the 1 5/8” unistrut you should have over an inch of clearance if your using 3/4” conduit clamps bolted to your stretchers. No need to slide them just lift aand turn clamp comes right out of the unistrut.
USE THIS AND THE CHANNEL WILL BE PLENTY DEEP FOR WHATEVER BOLT YOU USE. I STILL HAVE A SHALLOW PIECE OF THE STUFF LAYING AROUND IN THE WAY. LESSON LEARNED.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 04:58 PM

Yup, there’s 2 options that have both been covered. 1, use bugle/flat head screws with washers so they sit almost flat. 2, the easiest, is use 1-5/8 deep strut. It’s easier to move stuff on, but costs more, so it’s your call. Also, you’ll find a lot more selection at an electrical supply house than a box store.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 05:26 PM

I plan to eventually hang mine using all thread. Currently hung with wire atm.
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 08:13 PM

I screwed it to the stringers flush to the ceiling and used fender washers to hold it tight.
Posted By: dogdown

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 11:11 PM

Yes, 1 1/4" fender washer inside the channel secured with some type of bugle head screw (sheetrock screw) or a grk brand screw or a powerpro construction lag sold at Lowes, etc.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/03/18 11:55 PM

A few more pics on here would be nice.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/04/18 02:41 AM

Posted By: trapper les

Re: Unistrut/ Superstrut Users - 10/04/18 03:43 AM

ah ha!

Thanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums