Home

my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!

Posted By: board stretcher

my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 02:59 PM

little demons they are and last time this happened i spent a pile of money on every thing at the store to make them go away and cant remember what i got to get rid of them in the end.... you guys want to help me save some money....lol...could use your advice! thank you!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:02 PM

Best thing I've used on my dogs to kill and repel fleas and ticks is Adams Flea & Tick spray. One spraying last for several weeks.

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapper7
Best thing I've used on my dogs to kill and repel fleas and ticks is Adams Flea & Tick spray. One spraying last for several weeks.
thank you.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:16 PM

I had a terrible time with fleas on my dog this summer. I wasted a lot of money on Advantix, Frontline and even a $55.00 Seresto collar. Nothing worked for more than a week or two! I finally called my vet, they recommended a once-a-month chewable tablet called Credelio.

I looked it up online and found clinical reviews that were very thorough and very positive. I bought a three-month supply.

It worked, fleas are gone. It costs $22.00 per month. Works on ticks too.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:22 PM

Wash him real good with green Dawn dishwashing soap has to be Dawn and the green kind. Not a permanent fix but a huge help and relief for your dog. Then you can treat for the little vermin.

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:28 PM

Yes, the Dawn will kill them, I used the blue stuff and there were lots of dead fleas floating in the bath water.

Within a few days he was re-infested though.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 03:38 PM

We have them bad around here too, I use a flea soap from Wally world, that cleans the main herd off the dog, then use a "shoulder blades" drops. Gotta clean up the bed area too, I use Sevin Dust, Make sure to get it in the corners of the dog house and especially any cracks/seams, and if possible tip over the DH and dust UNDER too.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Lugnut
I had a terrible time with fleas on my dog this summer. I wasted a lot of money on Advantix, Frontline and even a $55.00 Seresto collar. Nothing worked for more than a week or two! I finally called my vet, they recommended a once-a-month chewable tablet called Credelio.

I looked it up online and found clinical reviews that were very thorough and very positive. I bought a three-month supply.

This like a quarter sized, chalky looking tablet? If so, it flat out works!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 04:12 PM

I use permethrin to spray the dog good and everywhere I think there is flees. Then I give a bravecto pill. I may have to try the credelio pill
Posted By: Timothy

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 04:32 PM

I agree with lugnut and yotetrapper30. I use the Credelio and have zero fleas all summer long on my indoor Lab.
Posted By: USAF Hunter

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 04:38 PM

We keep our dogs on Prevecto (sp)and it works great for prevention. Once the dog has them though, frequent baths while the Provecto starts to work. Since we started it 3 years in Idaho and Texas, my dogs have not had a single flea or tick.

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: yotetrapper30
Originally Posted By: Lugnut

This like a quarter sized, chalky looking tablet? If so, it flat out works!

No, these are much smaller, about dime-sized at best. For some reason Credelio only makes pills for 25 to 50 pound dogs, so my 75 lb lab gets two of them at a time.

This is the box I got from the vet.

Posted By: swift4me

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 05:46 PM

The monthly tablets work great. In Europe mine has a different name but I'm sure it is the same thing. Collars, spray and Advantix have never done anything but make money for somebody else.

Pete
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 06:04 PM

Is it sand fleas in the ground that it getting? I live in OK and my dog would get them and he would be crawling with them. That was back in the early 80's and flea and tick shampoo worked great.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 06:16 PM

remember to treat the kennel , living space , anywhere the dog spends time and could be picking them up again with Permethrin.

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/04/18 07:36 PM

thank all you guys for the help. i did go get the spray trapper7 mentioned and i am going to fallow up with the pills as well. i really dont have a problem with bugs but flees i hate them as do my dog BOB.
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/06/18 12:05 PM

The dish soap is good for killing them but not preventing them. A huge help would be going around the area and applying DE to the ground. It’ll kill them and the eggs won’t hatch. I’ve heard of people putting it on their dogs but I’d not recommend doing that.
Posted By: DRF

Re: my dog has flees!!!!!!! HELP!!!!!! - 10/06/18 12:22 PM

My dog is just over 3 years old. vet gave me flea pills for him to take monthly they are called Nexgard 24. Has never had any flea problems. Not sure how much they cost, Might be a little expensive but I get his heart worm at the same time so not sure which cost is high. Usually get 3 month supply and I believe its around 80 bucks for both together.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums