Home

first catch of the season!

Posted By: Marten Ted

first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 08:25 PM

Got this pretty male first check of the season. Excited to be back on the trapline. Would love to see anyone elses catches!

Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 08:44 PM

season don't open till oct. 15 here
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 09:07 PM

It looks a bit early. Another 3 weeks or so and that would probably have been a good looking coyote.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: wissmiss
It looks a bit early. Another 3 weeks or so and that would probably have been a good looking coyote.

Meany smile
Posted By: coydog2

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 09:32 PM

Season here dose not open till the 1st Saturday of Nov. . That is a nice looking one for the time you caught it.Like was stated if it was about a little later would of been better. Was it on a farm that needed to have them out? If so I do not blame you for take it out like you did.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 09:34 PM

Not being mean. Just stating a fact.

Even in Idaho, the 9th of October is too early to start on coyotes. IMO.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 09:48 PM

It is on a ranch with many coyotes that need managed, and also around 7000 feet elev. not too far down from the current snow line, and in my opinion is well furred enough to be worth harvesting based on the prices I got at at the auctions last year for the coyotes I caught around this same time last year.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 10:28 PM

Even here in the Arctic we don't start trapping until November 1. But we don't have coyote yet. There are some around Great Slave Lake but that's several hundred miles south.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/09/18 11:21 PM

would like to start but its a little early here for good ones yet. 3 weeks and I will start putting some steal down.
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 02:55 AM

Looks great! Trap em when you can. Congratulations on a yote the first check of your season! Keep up the good work. All the prey specie's appreciate it too.
Posted By: 10bands

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 08:57 AM

Nice work Ted. I'm officially jealous that you've already started.

For those who are wondering, I've seen some $50-$70 coyotes come out of southern Idaho in mid October and Ted is a bit north of that. There is some pretty good looking fur this time of year in certain places.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 09:32 AM

wtg keep catching them let us know how you do on sale of them I'm sure you will do fine
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 10:46 AM

X3 she is exactly correct
Posted By: pcr2

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: John Deere Steve
Looks great! Trap em when you can. Congratulations on a yote the first check of your season! Keep up the good work. All the prey specie's appreciate it too.

X2
Posted By: snowy

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 01:14 PM

Nice! Trap everyone you can, they will never become extinct.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 01:25 PM

Nice Yote! Keep it up!
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 01:57 PM

it is never too early to start on coyote....

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 02:31 PM

Hello wall!

Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 03:23 PM

Oh for crying out loud ya negative nancies. If he complains about fur grades in the Spring feel free to comment. Until then - say nice work and move on.

Way to go Marten Ted, jealous!

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 03:47 PM

Negative Nancies seems to be especially appropriate in this case. LOL
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 04:42 PM

Good for you get em all!!

Our season starts on the 21st and I’m setting for coyotes because a farmer friend of mine had 6 sheep killed this summer by coyotes!!

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 06:55 PM

Negative Nancies seems to be especially appropriate in this case. LOL

It maybe all right with you, but I think he is calling me a girl. smile

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 07:22 PM

Thanks for the positive responses! And to the negative, I will be the first to admit that this coyote will not bring as much money now as he would in nov. or dec. however, I do know when coyotes become worth catching in my area. Just like 10bands said, and based on my exprience in previous years, this coyote has a decent fur that could bring me 50 or 60$ pretty easily which is well worth catching as far as I am concerned.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 08:52 PM

If there's something wrong with catching a $50 coyote I guess I should turn loose 75% of the coyotes I catch.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 09:10 PM

nice catch...alittle early but catch them when you can.trapping gets harder as the snow and ice gets here. not much of trap circle, do you use drags?
Posted By: Kn9ne

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/10/18 10:59 PM

Nice Coyote! Season doesn't start here till October 25th. Can't wait

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 01:19 AM

Yep the snow and ice definitely makes it hard later on. I use drags sometimes this one was staked though he just probably hadn’t been there very long when I got to him.
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 01:51 AM

Good job! I started last week myself.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 01:58 AM

Yup, I'd wait til 20th if wanting it for fur, but cool looking catch
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 03:13 AM

Good for you. I talked myself into waiting until after elk season. That started today, I don't know why I continue to hunt them, it is a lot of self induced misery.
Posted By: board stretcher

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 06:13 AM

very nice!!!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 09:18 AM

who are you selling to?
Posted By: Nd native

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 03:13 PM

Takes a brave soul to post a picture of an early coyote on Oct 9th, knowing full well the bickering that would follow. Lol. I have been trying to convince myself to make some sets, just can't do it yet though. For me personally, I just don't think they have enough weight to them yet and the weather here looks like it's going to make access difficult either way if I start now or in two weeks. If I gotta bust my butt irregardless I'll wait to get after just a bit longer. Good job on the harvest though!

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 03:23 PM

The brave soul was wissmiss. First thing he says is "pretty male". Maybe she was trying to be educational instead of throwing up endless platitudes. I knew she was going get flack from the 94 percent.
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 03:31 PM

Hey, first catch of the season for me too!!

Posted By: red mt

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/11/18 06:00 PM

One thing about all those fur buyers on here get a first hand look at what they are buying 😁

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 12:13 AM

FHA

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 12:18 AM

Nice!
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 12:36 AM

I'm with you, Marten Ted! I can't start until October 15th, but I will be setting some steel that day, fully prime or not. I just want to start trappin'!
Posted By: ambush32

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ditchdiver
I'm with you, Marten Ted! I can't start until October 15th, but I will be setting some steel that day, fully prime or not. I just want to start trappin'!

X2
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 05:21 AM

I'd be ashamed of myself taking fur that early.......
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 05:42 AM

Out season starts October 15th in Indiana. There will be a few fellas trying to catch our flat worthless coyotes then, but our Coyotes will never look like the Coyote you caught. With that said, your coyote looks extremely weak in and around the mane and shoulder area. Just call me a negative Donnie. I can't be put in the same category as Miss negative Nancy. The reason for that is, Nancy is probably the best fur grader on Trapper man. I will say this though, Nancy and I can talk fur and we both have great respect for each others fur grading ability. I have only been a fur buyer for almost 50 years and I have been called a lot worse than a negative Nancy.
Good luck on your season and I hope you catch a zillion Coyotes.
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Lazarus

So where do you live that you can trap before Nov 1st ?
Posted By: Nd native

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 02:26 PM

Had a friend stop by and drop off a coyote for me. Not to bad for being shot October 10. Leather was real blue though.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 02:43 PM

Good job on putting that coyote up on that beautiful wire stretcher.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 05:29 PM

Oh man, Kelly's Heroes. That was a long time ago. Wouldn't Donald Southerland give a mint to be that young again?

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: NvHermit
Originally Posted By: Lazarus

So where do you live that you can trap before Nov 1st ?

Southern Nevada
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 06:38 PM

Well if the season starts on November 1st how do you already have your first catch of the year ?

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: NvHermit
Well if the season starts on November 1st how do you already have your first catch of the year ?

What season? Oh, cat season?? That picture was from the first week of November last year.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/12/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ambush32
Originally Posted By: Ditchdiver

X2

X3

I have a market for my early furs, most coons in my coyote sets will be big boars, and a song as the coyotes are not covered in lice they will sell

Got a few trail cams out prescouting and the coyotes are there.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/13/18 03:37 AM

Then don't. I can assure you I will never be ashamed of myself for catching a coyote that will bring me 50 or more dollars. And I can almost garuntee it will.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/13/18 03:42 AM

I know it is not prime. Never claimed it to be, I do know though that it was well furred enough for me to be worth taking. And best of luck to you as well.
Posted By: MJM

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/13/18 07:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Marten Ted
Then don't. I can assure you I will never be ashamed of myself for catching a coyote that will bring me 50 or more dollars. And I can almost garuntee it will.

If that is a $50 coyote, what do those ID coyotes you catch average?

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/13/18 10:46 PM

This time of year I get 50-60 on average, as the season goes on they move into the 80-100$ range. Last year I averaged 86$
Posted By: trapperne

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: don Wolf
Out season starts October 15th in Indiana. There will be a few fellas trying to catch our flat worthless coyotes then, but our Coyotes will never look like the Coyote you caught. With that said, your coyote looks extremely weak in and around the mane and shoulder area. Just call me a negative Donnie. I can't be put in the same category as Miss negative Nancy. The reason for that is, Nancy is probably the best fur grader on Trapper man. I will say this though, Nancy and I can talk fur and we both have great respect for each others fur grading ability. I have only been a fur buyer for almost 50 years and I have been called a lot worse than a negative Nancy.
Good luck on your season and I hope you catch a zillion Coyotes.

I’m with you, the first thing I said to myself is that coyote probably has shoulder mites and a big week spot in the shoulders. Take a pic of it skinned and show the back, I doubt it’s any where near a $50 coyote.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 12:18 AM

Good catch mted. Jeesh, I'll make sure not to post any pics of my catches during season. Wouldn't want to offend anyone if the fur quality isn't perfect.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 12:42 AM

Congrats man. Always fun to get that first one of the season. Hope its only one of many for ya

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 01:01 AM

Also, I caught this coyote today, If that leather is blue than I am colorblind.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 01:02 AM

And again thanks for the positive comments!
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 01:58 AM

Nice job. I haven’t decided if I’m setting next weekend or the one after. I was out checking on some prebaiting I’ve been doing and had one dart across the two track in front of me and stop at about 40 yards sideways. He looked great and will hopefully be bouncing around at the end of a chain shortly.

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 02:01 AM

Nice!
Posted By: wallfur

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 02:27 AM

I called in 2 coyotes today....quite surprised how prime they were not blue leather....nice semi heavy yotes. but we have snow on the ground to, so I guess its time.
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 03:29 AM

Caught this one on Oct. 5th. Not ashamed either
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 03:31 AM

^^^ that looks good to me!

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 03:45 AM

Beautiful coyote!
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 04:05 AM

Nice Ted. Must be good to be getting back into the groove.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 12:41 PM

good job guys in your coyotes catch the buggers. We don't have real good colored coyotes here maybe 1 out of 20. Have got some trail cam pics of a few and they are starting to look ok. No use catching a $5 coyote when I can catch a $15 coyote in a couple of weeks? smile
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: first catch of the season! - 10/14/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Marten Ted

We’re lucky around here if we would get $50 for a coyote most are $20 or under even later in the season
© 2024 Trapperman Forums