Home

Junction, Texas flooding

Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Junction, Texas flooding - 10/10/18 09:14 PM

The sleepy little Hill Country Town of Junction, Texas with a population of 2,400 where we used to hold our fall convention every year, was hit by a flooded South Llano river early Monday morning. 5 inches of rain had fell overnight but 12 to 14 inches had fell overnight upstream to the South and West.

The water destroyed a RV park that had many tents, trailers and motor homes in it.
45 people were pulled from the water using life vests and ropes, 19 were rescued by helicopters and boats.
4 people remain missing. They were working on a pipeline in the area. 1 man is from San Angelo, TX. and 1 woman and two men from Alabama are still being searched for this afternoon.

It is possible more may be missing as there was also a free overnight camping area nearby and it is unknown if anyone was staying in it.

I hope and pray they find those missing. The water was the highest it has been since 1935. Flood stage is 16 feet and the level at noon Monday was measured at 35.3 feet. The river has actually come down 3 times as rain continued to fall to the Southwest. The river receding and rising again has hampered search operations.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/10/18 09:38 PM

Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 01:43 AM

That's crazy. Hope everyone is found safe!
Posted By: KSlongliner

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 04:20 AM

Did it get over I-20 there at junction? Will keep these folks in my prayers. Got friends down at Camp Wood and they are flooded badly down there as well.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 07:57 AM

It will be difficult if not impossible if they got caught in that swift water, they are most likely under as much rock and sand as that truck is buried in. I hope they are up on a hill somewhere but logic and experience tells me otherwise.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 10:48 AM

Prayers for the people and the searchers.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KSlongliner
Did it get over I-20 there at junction? Will keep these folks in my prayers. Got friends down at Camp Wood and they are flooded badly down there as well.

That is I-10 over at Junction and the land flattens out between the park and the highway so it spread out and did not go over the interstate. It looked like a lake at the interstate.

All that rain fell up in the Rocksprings area so some went towards Camp Wood/Barksdale as well as Junction.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/11/18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Sheepdog1
It will be difficult if not impossible if they got caught in that swift water, they are most likely under as much rock and sand as that truck is buried in. I hope they are up on a hill somewhere but logic and experience tells me otherwise.

I tend to agree with you.
There is lots of rugged and remote country between Junction Lake LBJ and if they did wash further downstream and got out they could possibly wander for days. So they could still be in the river or lost out in that country and possibly never be found in either case.

They are still missing this morning. Family members and friends came in from Alabama and Florida yesterday to help with the search.
Three of the missing are from Escambia County, Alabama.

50 troops from Camp Mabry were sent up to help but they pulled 35 of them out and sent them to Florida hurricane area.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 01:23 AM

Was that the campground down the road from where the convention was in the spring.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 01:26 AM

Was that the campground down the road from where the convention was in the spring.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 01:26 AM

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 03:36 AM

Originally Posted By: bandy

No, that RV park is on the North Llano.

The one that flooded is to the South and all the way through town and across the bridge on the South Llano.
The town sits in the V just above where the North and South Llano rivers join. Thus the name Junction comes from where the two rivers meet.

Two bodies were found this afternoon about 9 miles below the campground. They were found on the bank where the water had receded.
No information will be released until an autopsy is completed in San Antonio.
Posted By: KSlongliner

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 04:29 AM

Yea i get the two interstates mixed up. Thanks for imforming us!
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 06:00 AM

You was stuttering a bit there bandy. Lot of people out grow that problem, so good luck to you.

Re: Junction, Texas flooding - 10/12/18 12:41 PM

Its this gray hair thats what im blaming it on anyway. Will be praying for the people there this spring was my first time in Texas and I enjoyed it great people. Hoping to make the trip back down for another convention in the spring and get in a turkey hunt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums