Home

Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me

Posted By: Pirogue

Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 06:47 PM

What percentage grade Semi Heavy versus Heavy and so on ?

Thanks
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 07:34 PM

probably depends when they are caught
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 07:44 PM

Depends on which part of Kansas you are talking about.
Posted By: jarrett

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 07:51 PM

Where I’m from 1 in every 15 will go heavy the rest semi, have not had one grade eastern yet. This is in 6 years of sending to auction.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 07:55 PM

Based on my experience in western Kansas, a much larger percentage are mangy, than grade Heavy. Most of mine (which are sent to auction) have been graded Semi-heavy.

I am thinking, based on memory, 5% or so may grade heavy. I think I do recall at least one graded Eastern.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 07:59 PM

Seems like 10% of ours are not sellable
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 08:02 PM

So, what is the bet we are to settle?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 09:06 PM

There you have it! Swifty is in SW and Jarrett is in NW. I'm in NE and only about four or five out of a hundred will make heavys. Most are semis, with a few lights. SE is similar to where I'm at, but it will vary a bit, year to year.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/12/18 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Swifty

No biggie....just had a guy telling me about all the $100+ coyotes from KS that sold in the May NAFA auction....I called BS on him since the top SH sold for $102.
Thanks gentlemen.

P
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 12:08 AM

West of 83 a fair percent will grade western semi heavy, the farther east and south you get the more commercial/ eastern type.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 12:28 AM

Shane is right,we get a lot of crappy coyotes.

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 01:27 AM

Don’t put words in my mouth I never said crappy, but there is a tremendous difference east to west, north to south. Can’t just say Kansas and expect a flat answer
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperne
Don’t put words in my mouth I never said crappy, but there is a tremendous difference east to west, north to south. Can’t just say Kansas and expect a flat answer

Yup, that's the gist of it. Yeah Shane, my coyotes are crappy, and Scott ain't far from me!
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 01:55 AM

Some just plain have bad genetics for fur quality
Posted By: tbn

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 01:57 AM

Shane.lol there was not any animosity towards you in my post.

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 02:18 AM

Lol, I know. I just don’t like to disparage trappers fur, some trappers fur isn’t crappy, just quality disadvantaged.

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 02:21 AM

Actually sitting here looking at a map of Kansas trying to decide how far south and east I can go be for I run into more quality disadvantaged coyotes.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Pirogue
Originally Posted By: Swifty

No biggie....just had a guy telling me about all the $100+ coyotes from KS that sold in the May NAFA auction....I called BS on him since the top SH sold for $102.
Thanks gentlemen.

P

I've had several grade heavy at nafa. Not more than Lee quoted.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Kansas coyotes....settle a bet for me - 10/13/18 10:38 AM

It would be pretty tough for a nonresident to come out here and show an honest profit on coyotes after you deduct real vehicle cost and other expense. I don't think you can operate a pickup for much, if any, below 50 cents a mile if you figure all cost rather than just fuel. If you do make money your not going to sleep much and you will have a lot of permissions in several counties. IF you can average 45-50 dollars after tossing mange etc in the ditch, your in the best coyotes KS has to offer. 25-30 dollar coyotes are what most of the state has. Quite possible to have stiff competition as well. Not on the same property but anybody trapping coyotes within 10 miles of you is competition. They roam a fairly big area. That fellow trappers is the honest truth.

Breaking even is doable. MAYBE coming out a few hundred ahead on a 2 week adventure. We do have a lot of coyotes and finding people to let you kill them is doable also.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums