Home

trapping out of a side x side

Posted By: goldnut

trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 12:43 AM

Looking for ideas on how you set up your side by side for trapping. I was going to put most gear in milk crates and a trapping bag. Any other ideas from your experience on the line?
Posted By: Wildkaat

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 01:37 AM

What brand of machine? I got a ranger that I built a box on top of the bed to double storage space. Under the box I got drawers for extra lures and other misc stuff as well as enough room for my tool bag to keep it out of the weather. I got all my traps in totes and can just throw them in the top box.
Posted By: Ruger 61

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 01:38 AM

We built a rack that sits about 6 inches above the bed. It is a square tubing frame with the small expanded metal wire for the sides and bottom. We carry traps etc. in the top and the catch goes in the bottom.

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 01:44 AM

I also have a ranger. Do you guys have any pics? Wildkaat, I actually thought about a top box. Kinda like a truck cap.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 01:55 AM

Milk creates and 5 gallon buckets and a piece of pvc tube for steaks is what i use.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 03:13 AM

Milk crates and toats for traps and such, buckets for stakes.
Posted By: LDW

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 03:03 PM

Totes for traps, 5 gallon buckets for wax sand. Snare bag , death ray will fit between. Use a cargo carrier in the receiver hitch for catch. It folds when not in use.
Posted By: Wildkaat

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 05:08 PM

I will get some pictures later today and see if I can upload them
Posted By: matt

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/18/18 06:07 PM

I have a mule pro FX. I took a couple 2x4s cut length of the bed, so when the tail gate is shut they wont move. Cut 4 more and screwed to each corner. Left about 4" of room and put a sheet of OSB to fit on top of them. Then I put another 2x4 on its side and screwed it down and another sheet of OSB on top. I cut out a place for a tub of traps, a round hole for a couple buckets. My shovel and hammer go under it. Each one has a couple eye bolts and strap that hold it in place. The cost it a sheet of OSB and a 2x4.. a little paint helps make look better.
Posted By: MB750

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/19/18 08:31 AM

Mine is a John Deere Gator 850i.

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 12:38 AM

Finally getting the Ranger setup for trapping. Thanks for all the input. Ken

Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 12:59 AM

Nice ideas. I would like to see more photos.

Goldnut - that looks good. Does the box loaded make it feel top heavy? What are the pvc snorkels? Plywood on the roof to release unintendeds or critter carrier?

I have a heavy duty plastic tool box in the bed that is actually a little too large. But it keeps important stuff dry and out of sight. I always carry a 1 gallon can of diesel fuel in case I run out and a jumper pack in case the battery gets low from too many stops and starts. Those two items prevent worries.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:02 AM

Milk crates suck, chains fall through get stuck, dirt, rain and ect get on everything

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:07 AM

Ill get more pics tomorrow. It doesnt feel top heavy at all. All the traps are in the bed in milk crates. PVC pipes are what i use as bait holders, I put them just a foot in the water and place a trap at the base. Plywood on the roof IS the roof! I couldnt see spending 300 bucks on a plastic one! LOL I did think I might put some kind of rail on it to use as a carrier. I like your idea of a jumper pack.

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20
Milk crates suck, chains fall through get stuck, dirt, rain and ect get on everything

Tac, What do you use?
Posted By: scalloper

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:38 AM

Do they make a cap for a Ranger? Man I really hunting/trapping out of my Ranger now if I could just keep the rain off my gear.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:53 AM

I use aluminum tool boxes, switching from plastic pick up tool boxes
If I knew how to post pictures I would show you

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: scalloper
Do they make a cap for a Ranger? Man I really hunting/trapping out of my Ranger now if I could just keep the rain off my gear.

https://www.sidebysidestuff.com/camper-t...e-800-crew.html
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 04:05 AM

I agree about milk crates no good because of the chain issue and traps do not stay clean. I use clean plastic buckets with the snap on collars and screw in lids with rubber gaskets.

Please explain more about the bait holder snorkels. I am intrigued. Like a pipe dream set in water. What do you use them to catch?

Nice job on the roof, that is a great idea. I have a friend who has a Gator. He made an entire cab from used plywood. All cuts made with a chainsaw. Where there would be a windshield is very small, like looking out a small window. It is incredibly ugly.

Even though it is too big, I like the tool box in the bed. It keeps tools and gear clean and dry. It contains tow straps and a large old USA made aluminum come along, chainsaw, can of diesel fuel, the jumper pack, and many other essentials. 2 kolpin sealed padded gun boot cases are mounted on the headache rack. Usually alone so a dry bag of personal gear on the seat next to me.

Using a side by side for trapping is really a luxury. I would like to see more photos of other guy setups too. I do not know how to post photos either.

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 09:50 AM

Originally Posted By: goldnut

https://www.sidebysidestuff.com/camper-t...e-800-crew.html

This would be sooooome nice. Great for icefishing too. I was hoping they made a hard top from plastic.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 11:02 AM

This would be sooooome nice. Great for icefishing too. I was hoping they made a hard top from plastic.

Not sure how much.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...resent?a=681826

There are other styles out there, but its tough posting pics from my phone.
Posted By: Rich in DE

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 01:17 PM

I use two large totes in my Ranger. Traps in one, tools and supplies in the other. Critters go in between. Drowning rods hang on the passenger side.
Posted By: minklessinpa

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 02:13 PM

"Critters go in between." ken don't need to worry about that! lol
Posted By: Mike C

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 02:51 PM

You can put pvc pipe down the holes behind the cab, top them with T's and short pieces of pipe and you have a holder for you snare pole or trapping stick.

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: minklessinpa
"Critters go in between." ken don't need to worry about that! lol

Ya know....I used to like you!! grin

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 10/31/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: M.Magis

Not sure how much.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/...resent?a=681826

There are other styles out there, but its tough posting pics from my phone.

Thanks. Cant understand why no price. Thats what I would like. Be nice if it went as high as the cab
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: trapping out of a side x side - 11/01/18 12:45 PM

Thanks. Cant understand why no price. Thats what I would like. Be nice if it went as high as the cab

I think maybe Kolpin no longer makes it, I can't find it for sale anywhere. Polaris makes a nice one, but it's $900.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums