Home

Newhouse traps

Posted By: vegasjim

Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 10:46 AM

Does any one have advise on adusting the pan on a Newhouse trap.
The older ones. For poundage and height?
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 11:36 AM

Would a Miles Trigger work? It will increase your pan tension some. I don’t have any newhouses, but if they are pinch pans, that’s what I would do with them.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 11:48 AM

You can bend the dog post to adjust height. miles trigger wont work as Im sure you've noticed because of the pan notch. you can file the notch down A LITTLE if there is to much travel before the trap fires. GO EASY HERE. because of the way it is shaped it looks like there is a lot of notch left but your trap won't set. Close the loop if you need too on the dog so it can only moves up and down and not back and forth also.

Newhouse traps are some real nice hardware. I had one stolen a few years ago. I enjoyed catching coyotes in a hundred year old trap. Really chapped my butt. I won't do it again.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 02:08 PM

I really like using Newhouse traps for beaver and otter, however the only thing I have never liked about Newhouse traps is the dog and notch design. I have some with the original leaf spring tensioner device under the pan. I don't know if you can still find those devices anymore, I'd buy some if they are available.
Posted By: rick olson

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 02:27 PM

LPC sells the under spring for under the pan Livestock Protection Co. out of Alpine TX.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/20/18 03:13 PM

I don't think the LPC pan spring will work on Newhouse. Designed for a bolted pan post.
New springs will give more pan tension.
Or if you can find the devices waggler mentioned.
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/21/18 12:11 AM

My experience with Newhouse traps (considerable) is that pan travel is irrelevant! Once that pan starts to move, it goes all the way REAL fast.
Posted By: TravC

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/21/18 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: DiggerDale
I don't think the LPC pan spring will work on Newhouse. Designed for a bolted pan post.
New springs will give more pan tension.
Or if you can find the devices waggler mentioned.

Actualy they will jist grind the inside if the ears until they fit the pan post takes a few seconds to do
Posted By: TravC

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/21/18 06:32 PM

You can use bed springs under the pan as well
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Newhouse traps - 10/21/18 11:45 PM

Thanks fellas
© 2024 Trapperman Forums