Home

Time off from job to go trapping

Posted By: coonman220

Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 08:33 PM

How many use vacation time to have time for trapping, if do much ? Or how do u find time ? Daylite is nice an hard to run many traps if working alot, I used to have a month of vacation an get to use alot of it for trapping, unfortunately they went out business, am getting older. Now I work at 2 part time jobs, 1 is a temp service, the other job is a better job an easier an not az many hours which had a few years an like keep it. Have leg troubles an arthritis an unsure how this trapping season well go but am go to try, I plan on asking to stop work at the day pt temp job for week an half an come back I guess, if allowed. If not, I quit as the job is much to be desired, other jobs around if u can do the work is the only thing an i have problems, not sure if temp agency's allow this an well find out next week as not going to give much of notice, trapping or road trapping can be expensive an mostly gas as no return on gas money for close to couple months is trouble nowadays, years ago , there were weekly traveling buyers
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 08:41 PM

I am taking vacation from 10/25 to 11/11 to trap and bow hunt. Can’t wait!!!
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 08:46 PM

I take 6-7 weeks every year. It's a good start.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 09:57 PM

Had a lot of time to use up when I worked in the Juv system so I set up my vacation so I worked every other day for 6 weeks the boss was not happy but I had the time coming.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 10:02 PM

Before I retired I used to take the month of November off and the last week and a half off of December.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 10:07 PM

Few others in past, have said that can all wait until retirement an work now. Unfortunately u don't know how long u going be around or even be able to physically trap, bosses don't like employee vacation, factory's would like to have all robots that work nonstop, I cannot get over the amount of work done at some these factory's for the low pay u receive per hr, alot factory's go though temp agency's, much cheaper, I am talking about new positions an not a job u been at for years. Stop working though a temp agency, Is pretty simple or coming back aslong as did nothing wrong, as little as I care or think of them, being a full time permant employee is little different
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 10:22 PM

So you work two jobs and one is a temp? Willing to risk a paycheck for trapping? Are you the individual who was complaining about having to buy a pair of gloves for $7? Impressive, but then again... things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Good luck to ya.. confused
Posted By: 080808

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 10:23 PM

Get a government job. You will get plenty of time off. No lol, just truth.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 11:24 PM

Why is that? Those are very hard to get, county an state jobs, I wouldnt try, ur chances are slim, u would spend a day online, try to apply with state or maybe even a county job an zero chance, no speacil skills other than lower jobs, not many good pay jobs around
Posted By: 080808

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/21/18 11:43 PM

Not necessarily true in all states, counties.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:12 AM

I don't know coonman, it seems you repeat this every fall.
Are you married?
As bad as the prices are, do you feel you can really come out ahead trapping vs staying where you are at?
If so,quit,go trapping.Plenty of jobs available after you run a season out.
Hope you have everything in order.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: 080808
Get a government job. You will get plenty of time off. No lol, just truth.

That is what my job was.
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:24 AM

I had never trapped until I retired so it's not an issue for me. It's probably best that it worked out that way cause I'm hooked and work would have interfered with my trapping Lol

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:27 AM

I just did this once before ever, a year ago next week, but before I did, I had job line up an start date, the job I quit was temp job, the one I start was ok but not amount to much an unexpectedly lay off an start temp job I at now for over 9 months, none of jobs I have had since where work went out business, have been any good at all
Posted By: Boco

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 05:20 AM

Don't quit your job to go trapping.Fake an injury and go on workers comp,then go trapping,but don't get caught.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 09:56 AM

I take 7-10 days off every year, but I am also being paid vacation time. It wouldn't be worth stopping work if I wasn't getting paid to trap. There's very few trappers that can show a profit in this market let alone one large enough to live off of every year...fur trapping that is. Honestly, this year I'm not even sure it's worth trapping at all. I can make more money working a second job while collecting my vacation.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 10:11 AM

Set on Saturday and Sunday, then run them before work or after work during week, and the next weekend is the "treat" to run in daylight. You can get a nice line going over couple weekends then it's just maintenenace and checking in dark after that.
Paid vacations are spent with my family, not for this.
I have been doing this for about as long as I have been trapping, maybe 40 years or so. We start after thanksgiving and run at least until mid January or until fur is rubbed. And then some rats and beaver work after thaw in late February to mid March.
I sacrifice sleep but have a lot of fun. Not a long liner but 2-3 hours checking every day in wee hours you get to run a lot of trap checks. Change up sets and lines over the weekends where needed.
You got this.
Jim
Posted By: Marty B

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 10:26 AM

In Iowa there is a massive Agricultural complex in place. Big Ag needs more trucks than there are people to drive them.

If you had a CDL you could work from april to end of harvest almost non stop.

Then have enough money to trap from the end of nov till jan.

Then go do temp stuff till april again.

Heck even UPS is short of drivers.

Sioux City Craigslist Drivers Wanted
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 10:29 AM

the boss says i can have whatever time i want to trap.course i'm self employed.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 10:38 AM

I made a deal before I would take this job that any time between nov and march I could work or not. I don't draw unemployment when I'm trapping. Winter things usually slow down anyway. I can legally work 60 hours in any 7 day stretch. spring to fall I push that as hard as I can.
Posted By: Vulpes94

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 10:58 AM

I only have 10 days of vacation a year, last year I used all 10 in a row around thanksgiving and had 18 straight days off with weekends and holidays. This year 4 days is going to a cruise but the other 6 are coming up here starting the day after thanksgiving.
Posted By: Hoss2018

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 11:17 AM

Im gonna take the few days i can take off to o hunting and trapping, to the people saying ita not worth it money wise its not but i guess for me and alot of you im sure its not about the money.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:08 PM

I'm in the same situation as Jim. Set on weekends. Checks during the week are at 4am. Usually takes 2-3 hours. Some days I have time to do some skinning before work. Fleshing, boarding and turning are done in the evenings. Can make for long days, but I really don't have much choice. I'm sure the early morning checks are costing me some fur. Not ideal conditions, but you do what you have to. Nothing like hopping on a atv at 4 with temps of -15 to wake you up.
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: coonman220
Few others in past, have said that can all wait until retirement an work now. Unfortunately u don't know how long u going be around or even be able to physically trap, bosses don't like employee vacation, factory's would like to have all robots that work nonstop, I cannot get over the amount of work done at some these factory's for the low pay u receive per hr, alot factory's go though temp agency's, much cheaper, I am talking about new positions an not a job u been at for years. Stop working though a temp agency, Is pretty simple or coming back aslong as did nothing wrong, as little as I care or think of them, being a full time permant employee is little different

Your just a f’img peach of an employee ain’t ya butter cup. Go away would you, your clueless. A $10 dollor an hour employee through a temp agency costs the employee $15 an hour after fees and insurance, $15 to the employee costs over $20 to the employeer. Not to mention most employees are super awesome to be around like I’m Shure you are. Haven’t you figured out how to get disability yet so you can quite and trap full time. Ffs
Posted By: snowy

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:40 PM

I did take time off in the day now I go when I want too.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:45 PM

some body throw up the Ron Burgandy. grin
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 12:45 PM

I own my business but worked my butt off to get to where I'm at. I work long hard day's from April til November then kinda slow down a bit, I still work everyday through winter but I get up early and check traps before work and sometimes go back in the evening to do remakes. I don't run many traps but could definitely handle more if I wanted. I also take off several weeks to deer hunt. All my employees deer hunt so I tell them if they'll bust their butts in the summer I'll take care of them in winter. So I try to pay them some days to hunt while I'm hunting as well. Works good for all. If you're willing to but in the sweat in the off season you can afford to take off in season. Good luck
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 01:58 PM

I spent 37 years at what Coonman disdains as a government job. It took a 4-year degree to get it. In my area, degrees were and still are required. We did get comp time off so I banked mine and used it with some vacation time to trap the month of November. My supervisor was a bow hunter and our boss gun hunted deer so they understood.

Try to make trapping work while working. Once you figure out a schedule that works for you and your employer(s), everybody wins.
Posted By: corky

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 02:03 PM

Don't give up on the government job. You certainly exhibit the communication skills and attitude necessary for a stellar career. The post office seems like an ideal landing spot.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 02:09 PM

^^^^^^^^
This!! Get a job delivering rural mail. Just think of all the culvert trapping you can do while on the job.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/22/18 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperne
Originally Posted By: coonman220

Your just a f’img peach of an employee ain’t ya butter cup. Go away would you, your clueless. A $10 dollor an hour employee through a temp agency costs the employee $15 an hour after fees and insurance, $15 to the employee costs over $20 to the employeer. Not to mention most employees are super awesome to be around like I’m Shure you are. Haven’t you figured out how to get disability yet so you can quite and trap full time. Ffs
how would u get disability an trap? I don't get it. There is not a $5 markup on temp employees an if was, why would I care at all ? It could be $200 a hr, for all I care, yes I am a good employee. Not all temps are that I have met, really some haters out there, sounds like a furbuyer I would never want meet or talk to again
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/23/18 01:50 AM

Quote:
Your just a f’img peach of an employee ain’t ya butter cup. Go away would you, your clueless. A $10 dollor an hour employee through a temp agency costs the employee $15 an hour after fees and insurance, $15 to the employee costs over $20 to the employeer. Not to mention most employees are super awesome to be around like I’m Shure you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54oqYyy_r_Q
Posted By: TrapperDR

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/23/18 02:52 AM

how would u get disability an trap? I don't get it. There is not a $5 markup on temp employees an if was, why would I care at all ? It could be $200 a hr, for all I care, yes I am a good employee. Not all temps are that I have met, really some haters out there, sounds like a furbuyer I would never want meet or talk to again [/quote]

Coonman220- There is a markup from temp agencies, as well as stipulations for hiring on temp workers, that often times dissuade employers from bringing a temp on fulltime.

In my part of Iowa you could find half a dozen good paying factory jobs on foot before your legs got tired of walking.

Take it for what it's worth, but I would suggest getting out of the temp agency and applying fulltime on your own. Full time employees are in hard demand in this area.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/23/18 12:29 PM

Ahhh, I remember all of that story. There are plenty of jobs out there for someone that wants to work.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/23/18 05:54 PM

Yes plenty jobs, u could work 5 to 6 or maybe 7 days a week in factorys, IF you can hack work, I don't think my legs or knees can, I would say $13 hr be about top, maybe find a couple at more starting, I be scared of what u have to do for starting at more $13, lot more start at $11 or $12, or lower, good jobs, for no skills are scarce, if u were in job market, u find some these jobs mention at that pay above, impossible to do, I have heard story's of ppl lasting a few days that if was that rough an fast paced, I sick low pay dirty work I do for awhile. If not come back in a cpl weeks as temp, I know of other opportunities

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 08:16 PM

I call temp agency today, it dont sound like stop work an come back a week an half later, they say to ask employer where I at, I already know the answers to that one, there are 3 places I call that pay more within 2 blks there that hiring, another delivery position not far away I just check into, another warehouse position that I work at for month an layoff, a guaranteed job that pay less but not like all walking u do with job on concrete, all are pt jobs, I don't think quitting is best idea as what if apply at other jobs that hiring but not hired, anyone could become ill an call in sick for couple days, sounds like better solution, just really cut into trapping time with springing or even pull traps,idk if fired,u could be spotted road trapping an know I not sick,i not talk other workers an say much, kinda unfriendly there, or all business an so loud that u could scream at person next u an they not hear nothing, I have leg trouble, let them get mad, I could always change my mind after call in sick for couple days an say my legs ache to much stand on concrete with no comfort mats to stand on like most factory's have, they have none, an say i not come back an turn in my timecards an everything so not get took out my check, the temp place sounded worried a lil an like didn't like it when i say i don't know if I go quit yet, I like hear that concern voice on ph, it turns me on. as I don't like temp place, I shouldn't work there so long if not like but 1 reason is switching jobs an start all over is not fun, this other job is dirty with oil go though gloves, they last a day sometimes, ruins any good cloths, clean off shoe tread with screwdriver, slippery oil slime shoe tread is unsafe on clutch pedal when leave
Posted By: DGorman

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 08:35 PM

Not sure how it is where you're at but you couldn't throw a cat in c.r. without hitting a place looking for workers. I can't believe it's much different there. Either way unless you are really pulling in the fur I can't imagine you could pencil it out to where you would be money ahead to quit your job to trap full time especially if you have bad legs and a vehicle you're worried about wearing out. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 08:42 PM

Yes lots jobs around nowadays. I have problem with stay to long on places u should go, it is not easy start out at new places for some ppl

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 08:44 PM

Yes lots jobs around nowadays. I have problem with stay to long on places u should go, it is not easy start out at new places for some ppl, tomma nite I don't work other pt job an apply at cpl places close that pay more an put down date avail, in mid Nov, both very close to work at now, I don't think none these factory's card about each other, I wouldn't like it if they here it back I was there, go there when not at break time in where I at now
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 08:45 PM

I’d pay someone $15!an hour to mow yards, work in the fur shed in the winter and would even be flexible so they could trap some. No dice, can’t hire anybody that can hack it more then a couple months
Posted By: walleyehunter01

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/24/18 10:59 PM

I work 2nd shift 3-11 so I have all day to set and check. If I get behind on skinningi throw everything in my fur freezer and catch up on the weekend.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/25/18 06:25 PM

Went out just before checking out some roadside trapping spots, definitely miss all vacation had from work or even temporary layoff on unemployment an didn't have to look for work aslong as avail for recall with employer I had an go trapping which all gone now, unless u been with company along time. I get treat like dirt as temp, 3 1/2 more years of this an if still alive then. Retirement. The second I am 62, I walk out door an let employer know where they can go
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/25/18 06:28 PM

I’m sure they will have a party on the day you let them know where they can go. Everyone brings joy to the office, some when they come in and some when they leave.

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/25/18 08:33 PM

Unless find better job, idk what they do, u never know how long ur going be around, when u start to get older, I wouldn't put warrantee on nothing
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/25/18 09:01 PM

That is a fact! We should all enjoy every day we have to the fullest. No matter what age you are.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/26/18 12:44 AM

Yes coonman here the same. All the places here want all to work 12 hour shifts. The temp place has no 8 hour days jobs any were. I am 62 and my time at this job is short.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Time off from job to go trapping - 10/26/18 08:54 PM

I like to read his post while using an Asian accent in my head....try it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums