Home

#2 SJ for fox?

Posted By: trap-alaska

#2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 06:26 PM

I am looking for some fox traps for the northeast and want to be able to handle coyotes too. I have a couple dozen Victor and Bridger #1.75s and have been happy with their performance as dual-use fox/coyote trap. How are the newer #2s on fox? They're only about 1/4" bigger so I would think they would be better on coyote and still not too much for fox. Any experiences you're willing to share? I am looking at the new Duke or the Bridger dogless, both offset.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 06:37 PM

The #2 Bridgers work for coyotes and I haven't seen any issues with the few foxes I catch in them.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 06:50 PM

I use bridger #2 and mb550 exclusively for fox and coyotes. no problems here.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 07:00 PM

1.75s are a good duel k-9 trap.
Just up the pan tension to 4 pounds and you will be good to go.
I have not had an issue with yotes getting away. Even hind foot catch's.

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: wetdog
1.75s are a good duel k-9 trap.
Just up the pan tension to 4 pounds and you will be good to go.
I have not had an issue with yotes getting away. Even hind foot catch's.

Thanks Wetdog - I have the 1.75s but want to add a couple dozen more and am debating between the #2 or 1.75. I'm leaning toward the #2 since I want to trap some coyotes in the west and Midwest in a couple years.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 07:52 PM

You didn't say if your fox are reds,greys,or both.No.2 coils are very,very hard on greys.Personally,I never had an issue in using 11/2 coils in these situations.Traps vary from manufacturer to manufacturer,some are built much better than others and hold up to coyotes.I have never lost a coyote,I can honestly say.I take a different approach to these situations than a lot of guys,I don't use the biggest trap available to catch the biggest predator here,I use the trap that treats all catches fairly well,whether its 'coons or coyotes.There's no such thing as the perfect compromise trap,you'll lose out on something somewhere.I just don't like setting an area up with big traps 4-coiled when I have a good chance on catching smaller incidentals.I've used big traps for years,and I'll agree big traps are not necessarily evil on your small incidentals but if your running in a area with all of the above I'd use the smallest trap you can feel confident with.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 09:17 PM

your killing the fox right.

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/22/18 11:38 PM

I prefer them to still have 4 legs

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/23/18 01:11 AM

I've caught a lot of fox In pretty big traps and I have yet to have one with a broken leg Or only a foot left In the trap.
Lots of swivels and a short chain.

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/23/18 02:15 AM

So have I,reds were not a problem,greys I won't go into here.Suffice to say anything No.2 on up was not good.My memory being what it is I know I used 1.75's on the predator line back then I can't recall how well they performed on greys what I do distinctly remember was the difference between the 11/2 and the 2 on them.Some were staked,most were dragged.And with the bigger sizes it didn't seem to matter how it was fastened.I was very happy with the 11/2coils on them.Anyway,the original question was between the 1.75 and the 2 and I got a little carried away here.Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/23/18 03:25 AM

I trapped greys In SC. I don't know of the perfect trap when trapping greys. WE didn't have coyotes at the time so we were using # 1 1/2s and 1.75s. It's the fight In the fox not the trap. You could catch 20 greys with no damage then It would go the other way.
But once you got them by the neck they were the most docile critter you ever saw. You could have 5 or 6 In a transfer cage and reach In bare handed to take them out and never get bit. Go figure.

Re: #2 SJ for fox? - 10/23/18 06:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the personal experience here. Definitely targeting reds and dispatching them, if I'm tight to cover or think a grey is likely then I'll use a smaller trap, maybe even a #11. If I was staying in PA indefinitely, I would definitely go with the #1.75 OS, I have caught a lot of fox in them with minimal damage and held a lot of coyotes. But since I'm in the military and moving around a lot I am looking for a better coyote trap that is still okay on fox. I plan to retire further west where there are more coyotes and fewer fox. If folks tell me the #2 is just too much trap for reds then I'll go the smaller trap for animal welfare and buy bigger coyote traps later.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums