Home

Nice Buck-Will he be back?

Posted By: SGT. C

Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/24/18 11:51 PM

Well Monday evening old Sarge cut the hair on a nice buck. I was trying to shoot from a bucket with nothing but a pencil size branch for support. It's all I had at the time. Well anyway, after the shot he jumped straight up,kicked and ran off. I went to the spot and found lot of hair but no blood, no flesh. I searched that evening and the next morning and couldn't find any evidence he bleed. Less then 150 yards from the area was a large group of does and I think I seen him running with then through the brush.
I hate that it happened. Should of waited for him to get closer or passed. But it happens. Yesterday evening I went back in there and hung a stand. I'm overlooking a nice food plot and every time I've gone in there to scout I see does. So what are the chances he will be back? Thanks, sarge
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/24/18 11:58 PM

There is a very good chance he will be back. It is very unlikely it knows what happened and it is unlikely, if you just clipped hair, that you scared it enough to drive it from it's territory.

Keith
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:00 AM

The does will keep him coming back.

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:17 AM

I feel bad. the last time I made a bad shot was in '98. So 20 years ago. I was up all night kicking and doubting myself. As a hunter, I hate such things happen. I try and make every shot count. I know I should of placed a stand in there that is comfortable and has a shooting rail, but I was setting up another piece of property and busy with daily life.
I have backed out of there and will go back in next week. Oh and yes there was doe in the plot and I watched him make a scrape and the doe wasn't the least bit interested. Sarge
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:19 AM

Find his active trail going to the green field and set up abt 50 yards from the field, u will have a better chance.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:23 AM

Keep hunting as he will return during the rut IMO!

Chris

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:45 AM

I have my stand set up for a 75 yard shot. I will not shoot any does unless big momma steps out(without yearlings) for at least another 3 weeks or so. Then the slickies will be bang flop. But until then, nothing like live bait. I have seen the same doe enter from the same spot every time and she hasn't gone into estrous yet. Now the buck was interested in her, but she wasn't interested in him.
Then this evening, the wife seen three behind the house about 60 yards. A large doe with two yearlings. The lab caught wind of them and chased(dog area is fenced) them back deeper into the woods. So I'm thinking things are about to be good here in another week or so. Sarge
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 12:58 AM

The true odds of u killing that buck this year just went down to about 10% of what it was before he knew he was being hunted if he was a mature buck. But there is always a chance.

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:12 AM

Well if he doesn't show back up. Then I'll be ok with that as long as I don't find his remains this January when scouting. I scout right after the season and start trimming lanes and hunting squirrels for next season. But there should be does looking for food and the plot is looking good. Right now, dealing with a massive acorn drop. Squirrels anyone, I think Mepps will be happy this winter. Sarge
Posted By: snowy

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:27 AM

Did he wind you, see you or hear you, if not I doubt he even know what was happening. I would say he is there close and if I had to bet, I would say he will be back. JMG

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:36 AM

Him and the doe didn't have a clue I was around until he was stung. He was right on the edge of the wood line and the doe was on the other side of the food plot. The plot is about 120 yards long by about 40 yards wide. The doe is bedding in about an acre patch. At the shot, she looked at him and then decided to vacate the area.

Short answer is no, he didn't have a clue. But I wonder about me looking for him if maybe I pushed him. Time will tell. Sarge
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:53 AM

If no one else gets him and theres food there i almost guarantee he will be back. My daughter stuck one we thought pretty good opening day of bow season,it left doing all the good stuff and tearing the timber down. never could find anything ,not even the arrow .month later he came back with a good sized hole in its upper shoulder .but came right back .
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:57 AM

If he kicked n jumped,
I'd say you punched him and he's Dead !!!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbears
If he kicked n jumped,
I'd say you punched him and he's Dead !!!

x2
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 02:19 AM

X3
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 02:59 AM

Dead
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 10:50 AM

What color hair was it? By the sounds of your shot he should be dead. Unless you trimmed his chest hair. I only had one deer jump like that when i missed and that was because I shot a hemlock tree inches in front of him and the shrapnel hit him in the face.but no blood or hair at all.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 10:55 AM

don't hate me but gut shot and dead.everyone makes a mistake,the fact it bothers you tells greatly of you're character.i do hope he shows back up and ya get him though.good luck.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 01:48 PM

Bummer man! Happens to the best of us.
what color was the hair? Where do you think you shot, high/low/back?
sometimes a low heart shot will exhibit this but if you did your 150yd circle he woulda turned up with a low heart shot. Maybe get up high and glass for crows & carrion birds too.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 04:44 PM

Maybe, but i bet he waits till the daylight is about gone. Stay luntil dark and get in before light.

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/25/18 11:23 PM

The hair was white with tint of brown. My aim was low in the heart region. I broke my own rule for shooting in the evening. I always shoot for the shoulder. Morning shots in the lung area. I will see if he shows back up. I plan on going back to the stand next Wednesday. Give the area time to settle down. Thanks for all the responses. Sarge
Posted By: Hal Aggers

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/26/18 01:09 AM

I would check the closet water hole near where you shot at him or the closest in the direction he ran. Most will go to water if wounded.
Posted By: harleydparts

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/26/18 03:12 AM

Gut shot & dead.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Nice Buck-Will he be back? - 10/28/18 11:58 PM

Focus on which direction it went. If it was a fatal shot, it will likely go in a straight line at least until it gets on a trail, then it will follow that trail until it tips over. It should start to stink pretty soon, so don't smoke or spit tobacco while you track it. you need a keen nose. I breeze will help you pinpoint where its at.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums