Home

New Invasive Insect.

Posted By: logger coffey

New Invasive Insect. - 10/25/18 11:35 PM

Called the (Spotted Lantern Fly) Feeds on the tree of heaven, better known as sumac , but very harmful to apple ,grape and other plants. you can read up on it better than i can type it . just a heads up ,for you guys.
Posted By: pick65

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/25/18 11:40 PM

https://extension.psu.edu/spotted-lanternfly

pick65
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/25/18 11:47 PM

This one from China too? Bad enough the emerald Ash borer is coming

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/25/18 11:48 PM

Asian decent, Possibly the worst in 150 years.

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:00 AM

Not good
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:06 AM

I live a few miles from the epicenter of this invasion. The spotted lantern fly came in with shipments of rocks from China to Rolling Rock Quarry in Berks County PA. I’m amazed how far they have spread in the few short years they’ve been here.

I’m even more amazed that it’s cost-effective to import rocks from China.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20

Already came to Pa. and killed all the Ash.
Posted By: squacks

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:39 AM

Ash is all dead here. Most have been cut and burned. I still have a few standing dead but not for long. Whenever you go camping, never transport fire wood to or from your area. This may transport things like Emerald Ash Borer. We have lost a huge amount of timber to them in our county alone.
Posted By: mixed bag

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:39 AM

Trees in neighborhood I'm working are completely covered with them
Posted By: charles

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:45 AM

The US buys rocks from China????? Darn! Who can we sell our rocks to?
Posted By: jackrock

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:55 AM

Tree of heaven and sumac are two different animals but look a whole lot alike. Sumac is native and Tree of heaven is an invasive species from Asia. So good riddance to Tree of heaven but the spotted lanternfly won’t spot there.

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 12:57 AM

Do the sapling ash trees survive?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 01:04 AM

i'm hopin but we cut some about 6 in at the base and they are done.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:07 AM

I lost about 350 ash trees to the emerald ash borers on my farm. I have a few smaller, sapling ash trees left, but I doubt they will make it to adulthood.

I ran the fastest I have in years, a few days ago, when I was clearing the ash branches from my Mother's driveway, that fell during a windstorm, so I could drive up. The 40 some inch diameter ash, that dropped most of the branches made a loud cracking noise and I thought it was going to smash me. Many of the branches fell and impaled the ground and were standing up like fence posts. She had 4 40 some inch diameter ash trees fall over.

I don't have any tree of heaven trees, but I do have around 20 apple trees and a grape arbor that the new pest can kill.

Growing up, most people I knew called tree of heaven stinkwood. We would brake them off at the root ball, by rapidly pulling them back and forth. Some were well over 30 foot tall. It took 4 to 6 kids to pull over a big one. The stinkwood trees would quickly regrow. As kids we used them to build a lot of forts, cabins and used stinkwood as firewood.

Customs needs to inspect imports much better than they do.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 07:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical.20

Nearly impossible to find an ash tree that is not already dead around here. I lost a couple hundred. It's good firewood but you have to get it cut fast, before it rots.

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 01:13 PM

That bites, too bad it happened, only shade tree in my yard is a huge ash tree
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 01:28 PM

Be glad you don't have those tree of heaven...just another Chinese import and is a big glorified woody weed and about the only thing worse around here is bamboo!

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 02:07 PM

Heard this from a log and lumber export broker, and he was calling it sumac . but researching it, it has been called Chinese sumac sorry for my mixup.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 02:45 PM

If it dies after killing off all the tree-of-heaven that'd be ok. They're nothing but an invasive crap "tree". If/when it goes after native species that's a different story

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 02:49 PM

there is millions and millions of board feet of ash sitting in containers all over the seas between here and China.suddenly stopped but bet it starts moving again soon.
Posted By: squacks

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:19 PM

The dead Ash trees sucker (water shoot) from around the roots. It may not take long to grow with that root system in place but if the beetles are still here, the ash is doomed. I don't see any that survived here. Even the small trees died.

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:21 PM

they are dead enough here that they are breaking up while standing and the doubters are no more.
Posted By: trapre

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:30 PM

Dad works as an Arborist for Penn State and gets to be the first one to deal with all these things. For the past month all I have heard is about how China doesn't care If they send us invasive crap but we HAVE TO, BY LAW go through all these regulations and checkpoints to make sure we don't send them anything. He thinks we should just make an ark and send over anything they don't have. LOL
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:38 PM

^^^ Turn about is fair play!!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: New Invasive Insect. - 10/26/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DuxDawg
^^^ Turn about is fair play!!

They'll "borrow" them eventually. Just tell em they can make money with them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums