Home

Stoploss Traps?

Posted By: Taximan

Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 01:32 AM

What is your favorite stoploss type trap,of the currently manufactured ones?Anyone have experience with the Sleepy Creek?Thanks guys.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 09:40 AM

Bridger. Strong trap and constructed so the longspring can rest on the slide of a 'rat hut with the guard coming down on the 'rat as it approaches from the water.

Posted By: krumui

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 01:38 PM

The "old style" Blake and Lamb was my favorite for many years.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 02:05 PM

The 1.75 and the #2 Vic are better stop loss traps.
But The rat knew I would comment on this thread.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 02:25 PM

grin
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
The 1.75 and the #2 Vic are better stop loss traps.
But The rat knew I would comment on this thread.

Beav - I think you are missing a word in your comment. Didn't you intend to say that the 1.75 and the # 2 Vic are better THAN stop loss traps.

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 06:25 PM

Thank you all for your input.Beav,are you talking about the old Vics or new manufacture?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 07:03 PM

Thanks Miss Wiss

Yes I'm talking about the old Vic #2 square jaw.
While the standard stop loss has It's place I have yet to find It. LOL
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 07:09 PM

I sold all the ones I had. For open water rat trapping, I preferred a #1 Victor with a railroad spike attached to the base of the trap. Quick drowning rig.
Posted By: seniortrap

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 11:43 PM

I have had "old style" Blake and Lambs. They always seem to me to be a better version than the Victor.

They didn't rely on the jaws going off first and releasing the spring at the same time.

The safety bar under the end worked well when the rat would start to move and the stoploss spring would trip off.

Thus pinning the rat and not letting it wring off!
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 10/31/18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Taximan
What is your favorite stoploss type trap,of the currently manufactured ones?Anyone have experience with the Sleepy Creek?Thanks guys.

Topless traps? usually dollar bills work.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:08 AM

I use the Victor #1 Stoploss with the round pan. I remove the delay pin. Great trap! 2 inline swivels, a swivel for my stake and the J-hook, extra chain= 0 losses.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:21 AM

Not sure about the new ones but I used to have some old chas.briddle? Jump traps that the rat gard only employed when the vermin pulled on the chain. Don't know if anyone makes anything like that now but it was a good system.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:32 AM

In my opinion, stoploss traps are hard to set. An old #2 Victor square jaw is easy to set and in most cases will grab the rat high enough to drown it. Plus they are much heavier than a stoploss trap to quickly drown the rat.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:34 AM

The #2 square jaw is a good trap on mink and rats in the right circumstances,but fails in pocket sets.
Just my opinion.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:36 AM

knuckle knockers.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 12:43 AM

Wouldn't be without my stop loss traps.Love how they work--and they work well for me.
Beav can haul all the #2s around he wants--give me a #1 stoploss.Victor,Duke,Bridger ,Blake and Lamb,Northwoods-I have them all and use them with confidence-have also held hundreds of incidental coon and beaver in them-the largest beaver was 53 pounds and numberless coon over 30 pounds.
Only one I have never tried is the sleepy creek.
Tom
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 02:54 AM

I have used #1 Victor round pan stoploss for about 37 years now. Lot of people complain about bending the spring on the pan etc. etc. but that issue is easily resolved by just flipping the trap when setting. I don't find many springs that get blocked by the pans. I never use the delay spring but have not removed them due to when and if I sell the traps at a later date. I set a lot of traps on feed beds in a lot of cover and in shallow places so I don't find the larger non stoploss as good in those areas. Yes some larger traps around houses in veg free water would be okay at times but I make due. I have held a couple beaver, half dozen otters and a couple hundred coons in these little traps. The way I trap they work for me. Each person has personal preferences and also different habitats and setting situations.
Of the 15 plus dozen I have I have bought all but two dozen used.
Bryce
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 03:11 AM

I've used them for years inside huts. They work great, especially if you don't mind dealing with a live rat.

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 04:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.Has anyone used the Sleepy Creeks?
Posted By: 5cents

Re: Stoploss Traps? - 11/01/18 05:12 PM

Northwood's are my favorite.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums