Home

dog proof ?

Posted By: Mississippi

dog proof ? - 10/31/18 08:55 PM

Who has used these coon traps and do you prefer the push/pull or the pull only. I just bought a dz duke pull but thinking of converting them to pull/push type. Wanted to hear from some guys who have been using these first to see if its worth the effort to convert them
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 09:05 PM

Mine are all pull only, work as they should.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 09:05 PM

I dont see any benefit in the push triggers if your bait goes above the trigger.
Posted By: Carlis

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 09:17 PM

you will be glad you did. in testing the 2 way shaped trigger out performed 12 to 1 over the straight trigger and the 2 way straight trigger traps. the testing was done in stugart ark in jan 2010
Posted By: pcr2

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 09:24 PM

they are an amazing tool for catching coon and excluding non-wanteds.to good in my opinion as i cant get past a mink or fox or something cruisin on by as a multi species guy.just me
Posted By: DakotalineTerri

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 09:43 PM

I prefer the pull only triggers, seems to eliminate a lot of the non targeted critters such as skunks and opossums and feral cats.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 10:18 PM

Which is how hey're supposed to be, otherwise they're NOT pet proof.
Posted By: WWPAlum

Re: dog proof ? - 10/31/18 10:45 PM

I've used both types for 4 years and I do get more catches with the push/pull triggers. Not a significant amount. Both work great.
Posted By: Mississippi

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 02:24 AM

I trap far from houses, so non target critters, aren't a problem. Thanks for the info. May do half and compare
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 03:30 AM

Pull only = dog proof and cat proof.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 10:33 AM

I have a mix of both I did modify my triggers to keep them from reach past them and not tripping the trap. Drilled a hole and put in a piece of finish nail this will be the first year trying this trigger mod. I had a couple that would work the trap but never get caught put in a 1 1/2 coil next to it and get them.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 11:54 AM

I have used both. More pull, as my state only allows pull. Each has pros and cons, but each has a place in different situations and locations. There are times I wish I could use the push pull, but get it done with the pull.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood

Pull only is absolutely NOT cat proof.

I am also convinced that dog catches are almost always triggered while one paw is on top of the trap and the other foot hits the dog on the outside of the trap.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dana I
Originally Posted By: Willy Firewood

Pull only is absolutely NOT cat proof.

I am also convinced that dog catches are almost always triggered while one paw is on top of the trap and the other foot hits the dog on the outside of the trap.

I only have the pull type. They are dog proof, but not cat proof. You need to use a bait cats aren't attracted to, like miniature marshmallows.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 05:46 PM

when you catch a cat you let them out if they will lay down nice while you squeeze the spring with the other hand , if not I am sure you can figure out what they need.

farm cats caught have a sore foot for a couple days and are almost always fine by day 3.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 06:50 PM

Pull only is fine. I like the Aluminium ones from PCS Outdoors. Never rust, never lose their finish. I have caught one feral cat in one, but I consider that a good thing.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE
when you catch a cat you let them out if they will lay down nice while you squeeze the spring with the other hand , if not I am sure you can figure out what they need.

farm cats caught have a sore foot for a couple days and are almost always fine by day 3.

I've released a couple. Had one get out of the trap and run right up a tree alongside of me. If its foot was sore, it sure didn't act like it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapper7
Originally Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

I've released a couple. Had one get out of the trap and run right up a tree alongside of me. If its foot was sore, it sure didn't act like it.

the one with the sore foot the land owner told me about was practically a kitten , the feral cats are usually meaner than the coons.

maybe I should add the land owner was not upset at all she knew the risks trapping the barn but wanted the coon out of it.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: dog proof ? - 11/01/18 11:56 PM

Originally Posted By: illinideer
I have a mix of both I did modify my triggers to keep them from reach past them and not tripping the trap. Drilled a hole and put in a piece of finish nail this will be the first year trying this trigger mod. I had a couple that would work the trap but never get caught put in a 1 1/2 coil next to it and get them.

I did some just like yours. I went with the long threaded bolt too in order to keep the trigger from locking up from rust by providing the 2 pivot points as apposed to the single one of the original design.
The only difference in mine is that I used 2 nuts to hold the trigger to the shaft instead of using spacers like yours. I do like your spacer idea since it gives a third pivot point.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: dog proof ? - 11/02/18 02:23 PM

I have done mostly a catch and release DP trapping for the past 2 seasons since the prices was low and I needed to document the DP trap effects. (We are in a battle with the DP trap here in my state.) Most coon will go right up a tree, or will run and walk away with no sign of foot damage. I wont tell you how many I have turned loose these past 2 seasons but it is a high number. The only problems that came to a coon was if I did not fore see a trap tangle and lost a swivel action. only a few times. I use anti freeze in the peg hole and pull the trap and put back in every few days in bad freeze so freezing was not a issue. I have never caught a cat, because I do not use baits that cats like. skunks and grinners in pull traps are caught. and I get a lot of fox activity on my advanced dp sets. I do believe for the most part that I personally get a higher better catch with pull than I have with the push pull. I also believe that push pull will catch those coon that are bait stealers. When I trap in pa I use both types depending on the location and set type.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: dog proof ? - 11/02/18 02:28 PM

great info Jonesie
© 2024 Trapperman Forums