Home

conversation on trapping boats and motors

Posted By: Mr. Ed

conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 03:14 AM

I have always thought of running a river line more as an all day trapping thing thing to get maximum traps out but also not worry about it being a down market. I am getting ready to retire so I will have a lot of time.A section of river probably 40 miles from home has a lot of tributaries running into it and just seem to be screaming rats,mink,otter and coon. There seem to be a lot of 16 foot reasonable priced boats on craigslist that would be up to the task and with an olive drab paint job would be a great trapping boat. But was wondering on motors. Getting close to shore would seem like an outboard would be out since it would be hitting bottom as I paralled the shore. What do those motors run that have those long shafts that stick out the back and is there a website for them ? Thanks for anyone who has done this and wants to share any info.
Posted By: Hover-Lover

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 03:29 AM

www.mudbuddy.com
Posted By: white17

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 03:35 AM

You can get pretty darn close with a regular outboard. If it was me I would run up the tributaries and stay off the main stem as much as possible
Posted By: brianmall

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 04:05 AM

Deep enough water? Welded flat bottom with surface drive or jet motor

Shallow water? Golden hawk with whatever motor is recommended

Both deep and shallow water? I think my next rig is going to be a pontoon with some sort of built in rigging for a goldenhawk. I'd like to be able to run deeper water with pontoon then dock and run shallow stretches by golden hawk. Camping as I go in two to four week intervals.
Posted By: brianmall

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 04:06 AM

But I've got three boys and I wanna kind of make it a yearly tradition.
Posted By: Les Staley

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 06:11 AM

I rigged a set of oars on an old aluminum canoe, along with a couple of vinyl bumpers for pontoons. First year trapping, and I can do water sets without getting my feet wet.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 08:52 AM

Mr.Ed, If you find a boat you can build your own mud motor from a kit. Some are buying a Harbor Freight motor and are putting on the kit and are into one for around $600. I have also been looking for a small boat to trap out of and found this company that sells kits for mud motors. https://mudmotorkit.com/mud-motor-kits/small-swamp-runner.html
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 10:39 AM

to many variables. one size don't fit all. shallow river most would call a creek I use a 12 foot semi v. can get in 2 feet of water without pulling the motor up. I can pull the motor up, hop out and pull the boat through shallow stuff real easy. cant carry a lot though. have to stash stuff under bridges. either to pick up with the boat or pick up with my pickup. 4 stroke motor. they idle without fouling plugs and use one gallon of gas for every four a two stroke uses.

bigger water like the Missouri I use a welded boat. no rivets. big jon boat. can run the bow right up on the bank and step out. haul lots of stuff. that big flat floor is great. need a boat ramp though and dragging it over shallow stuff with the motor up is not easy in current. again four stroke. four strokes are heavier but the ability to idle a lot and fuel saving are worth it in my book.

those long shaft motors don't turn real well. some wont reverse.

those outboard jet motors will get through some scary shallow stuff. but you have to do it at speed and steering is minimal if your going slow. like everything else about trapping lots of stuff will work it comes down to personal choice.
Posted By: lcd

Re: conversation on trapping boats and motors - 11/05/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Ed
I have always thought of running a river line more as an all day trapping thing thing to get maximum traps out but also not worry about it being a down market. I am getting ready to retire so I will have a lot of time.A section of river probably 40 miles from home has a lot of tributaries running into it and just seem to be screaming rats,mink,otter and coon. There seem to be a lot of 16 foot reasonable priced boats on craigslist that would be up to the task and with an olive drab paint job would be a great trapping boat. But was wondering on motors. Getting close to shore would seem like an outboard would be out since it would be hitting bottom as I paralled the shore. What do those motors run that have those long shafts that stick out the back and is there a website for them ? Thanks for anyone who has done this and wants to share any info.

I RETIRED JUST A FEW YEARS AGO WITH THE EXACT SAME THING IN MIND. I HAVE BEEN TRAPPING ON THE BIG RIVER HERE EVER SINCE. AT FIRST I USED MY 14' V-HULL FISHING BOAT, BUT AFTER MORE THAN ONE NEAR MISS IN HEAVY WEATHER, I DECIDED TO GET A BIGGER BOAT, WITH MUCH MORE CARGO SPACE. MY THOUGHT WAS A DUCK HUNTING BOAT WOULD WORK AS A TRAPPING BOAT. I SETTLED FOR A 17' TRACKER GRIZZLY. ALL WELDED CONSTRUCTION, HUGE CARGO BOX, LIGHT WEIGHT. AS THE MOTOR ON MY SMALL BOAT WAS NEW, I JUST USED IT. A LITTLE SMALL AT 20 HORSE POWER, BUT WITH THE LIGHT BOAT IT PUSHES IT FASTER THAN IT DID THE HEAVY FIBERGLASS ONE. AND WITH SHORT SHAFT YOU CAN JUST ABOUT GO ANYWHERE THAT YOU NEED TO. FOUR-STROKE ENGINE IS VERY TROUBLE FREE. I HAVE HAD A BLAST THE LAST FEW YEARS WITH THIS SET-UP AND IT WILL CARRY A LOT MORE GEAR WITH A LOT LESS HEAVY LIFTING. HOPE THIS GIVES YOU SOME IDEA'S, AND GOOD LUCK ON THAT RIVER LINE.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums