Home

Savage Axis

Posted By: Chauncey

Savage Axis - 11/08/18 03:50 AM

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Are they accurate (MOA or better)?
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 04:42 AM

Yes they have a good savage barrel on them like most savages. They will shoot.

The Bad: Trigger pull is 8 lbs probably . Mcarbo makes a spring kit thats a cheap easy fix though.
Stock is flimsy: Boyds makes some nice ones you can replace it with.
Overall cheap gun that will shoot though.
Posted By: Drakej

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 05:05 AM

Personally I think you are expecting a lot of an under $300. combo to be able to shoot sub 1" groups consistently. Two new hunters in our camp got them this year and I had hard time grouping under 2" at 100yds with them(one shot better than the other). They don't have the adjustable Accu-trigger. We only shot a couple brands of factory ammo(some guns shoot one or another brand best) and no hand loads because 90% of or shooting 50-75yds and a deer heart is larger than 2". My three savages all now shoot sub MOA but all have custom stocks, glass bedding, floated barrels and been recrowned w/fully adjustable triggers, matched ammo. The scopes are barely suitable for an airgun IMO, I doubt they will stay zeroed for long. To me they are pretty much "as is" rifles and doesn't appear to be much there to accurize(other than restock and bed even if that would help). I am disappointed Savage dropped its quality so much to compete with these low priced combos. The model 110's are still shooters but cost more.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 05:39 AM

many savage axis rifles do shoot well MOA

the Axis has a non adjustable trigger that is on the heavy side

the Axis II has a better trigger

if your looking at budget hunting rifles the Thompson Center Compass is worth looking at a lot of features for the price and they will give you a MOA guarantee.

the Mossberg patriot is another rifle worth looking at in the same price range
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 11:27 AM

I lightened the trigger on a friend of mine for his daughters gun. If you remove the stock you can get to the spring on the trigger sear take a pair of side cutters and remove on round off the spring and check pull weight. This brought it down to about 4 lbs. I cut off another quarter round brought it down to 3.5 lbs. Diddnt want to get any lighter due to hid daughter was shooting it. When she first got it had to let a deer walk because she couldnt pull hard enough to make it go off was like 8 lbs
Posted By: Osky

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 11:54 AM

Good truck gun.

Osky
Posted By: Chauncey

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. Academy sports is going to put them on a major sale for thanksgiving. I figured as long as the barrels weren’t junk I might give one a try. I can do the bedding and trigger work no problem. Like you said Osky it should make a good truck gun.
Posted By: PA_K-9_Trapper

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 02:01 PM

I put a Boyd's stock on mine, lightened the trigger pull, and a good scope. It shoots excellent, and even better with reloads. I can cut the same hole with it, great gun for the money.
Posted By: Txcoonman

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 06:15 PM

Little lightweight in my opinion, if you are interested in the savage line I would upgrade to something in the $6-800 range and have a great rifle
Posted By: hippie

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 07:50 PM

I have an Axis and also a Mossberg someone else mentioned. For a gun right outta the box, i'd go with the Mossberg.

About the same money and ya can get a wood stock. i just can't like plastic stocks for some reason.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 09:23 PM

I just bought one this year. I normally hunt with a 700 BDL but may take the axis to the woods just because it is so much lighter and super accurate. I laser bore sighted it and this is with 130 gr federal .270 factory ammo. Dead on out of box after 6 rounds [Linked Image]

100 yards.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/08/18 11:48 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is 1 shot at 227 after windage adjustment from second target (1 in high at 100)

The other is a 3 shot group at 227.
Federal 130gr factory loads

You bedded barrel ,2500 buck plus, reloading ,benchresters 6.5 or any caliber beat that !!!! If you didn't know I bought this little rifle at dunhams on black Friday last year for 199.00 bucks. !!! Plus savage was doing a 100 buck mail in rebate !!! 106.87 tax and all after rebate. Oh forgot to mention it comes with a 3x9 weaver scope. Thats what I was using.....
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 01:23 AM

Find a Model 10P in .308... You won't regret it...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 01:48 AM

Out of My 22-250 it took me 6 rounds after bore sighted Next 4 shots cut holes one inch above bullseye at 100 yards that was with 55gr Winchester sliver tips factory load.. I bought mine cheap like dirt cheap couldn't pas it up brand new out of the box and its my go to gun out of all my guns.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 05:22 AM

I have a .243 that did 1.25" at 100(3 shots) with some 80 gr speer and 37 gr of varget. These loads were for another rifle and figured why not try them in the axis

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 11:18 AM

Bottom line THEY WILL SHOOT!!! Flashy ? NO . Great accuracy for the price? Hard to beat.!!! With the deals you can find around the holidays and if the rebates are on you can buy and resale and make some money !!!!

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 05:32 PM

Your targets don't look right Jbyrd63. You gained height , 3 Shots were your highest, 250?

Doesn't make sense.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 05:59 PM

HUH
No I didn't 250 is 1/2 lower and 1/2 in to the left. The left and right was corrected with 1 click on scope. BUT all I hear on here is how small a 3 shot group a gun will shoot to determine if it is accurate. Even if I must say so the AXIS rifle I own will flat out shoot. The single shot was after the adjustment was made to correct the left and right. Close enough for me to carry it this weekend.

PLUS gun wasn't screwed into a vice. sand bagged across the hood of my truck ! Bet even you would move just a little......................

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 06:07 PM

Just try'n to figure out your target.
The 2 shots were 100?
Then did you flip the target sideways?

Guess ya did if it was shooting left. That's one impressive 270 ya gor there that shoots pretty much one hole from 100 to 250yds. Your right, them 2500 dollar guns don't do that.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 06:23 PM

OH NO I was wrong the 3 shots were at 227 yrds not 250 !!!!! Went out just now and ranged the exact spot.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 06:24 PM

still impressive. My 270 won't shoot like that.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 06:33 PM

My BDL wont shoot with it. 1 of the three will be off about 1 in.

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
still impressive. My 270 won't shoot like that.

LOL neither will either of mine if I shoot core lock ammo. The FEDERAL 130 gr shoot best in them
Posted By: patfundine

Re: Savage Axis - 11/09/18 07:22 PM

I had $238 in a axis scope 6.5 Creedmoor package last fall. That includes the 30 I spent at the gun Smith making the trigger great.that thing has less than a box of shells through it, and it shoots quarter sized groops. I upgraded to a model 11 this year. It shoots the same groups. Factory ammo - they really like winchester deer season. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums