Home

Indian Rock

Posted By: eric space

Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:22 PM

Was muzzelloader deer hunting today. Took 2 of my grandsons along. Showed them this rock that is triangular shaped sitting on 3 smaller rocks, one at each corner. Placed here by a glacier in the last ice age. Known as the Indian Rock, there was a rock shelter behind it where my grandfather excavated hundreds of Indian artifacts, several of them complete clovis spear points. I was with him at this location about 60 years ago and we found a stone ax head. [Linked Image]
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:28 PM

That's a cool formation. Do you know if when your grandfather found the points, if they were cached together or randomly scattered?

Keith

Re: Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:32 PM

He said all the clovis points were buried together, he assumed they were in some type of leather bag. Other ax and spear points were scattered in a different layer of debris.

Re: Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:35 PM

To the left as you look at this picture there is a small stream and it was in that stream we found the ax when I was a kid. I had not been to this spot in over 50 years.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:39 PM

Thanks. I have found 20 some Indian tools on my farm, mostly rocks used to make pemmican. I have only found a few bits of broken flint, that may have been points. I have thought about digging under some of the larger boulders, close to where I found most of the tools, to see if anything was cached.

Keith
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Indian Rock - 11/08/18 07:42 PM

Great history! I visited the Hadley Money rock with Thorpe. For a Midwest farm boy those are the biggest rocks I ever seed. Is it a remote spot? Be fun to camp at.

Re: Indian Rock - 11/09/18 02:06 PM

Not that remote, maybe a half mile off the road. Is in a state park so no camping or excavating for artifacts by it now. I will try and get some more pictures Monday when I am back there hunting again.
Posted By: Matt58

Re: Indian Rock - 11/09/18 05:26 PM

how about some pics of the clovis points?

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 01:40 PM

Unfortunately my grandfather got into the old car collecting mode in the late 60's early 70's and he traded or sold the clovis points for old cars. Here are a few pictures of the remaining collection at Space Farms, they are in glass cases and there are some lightt reflection issues with these cell phone pictures. It is hard to judge but the Indian on a horse made with all indian artifacts is 8 feet square. The picture with the clay pots have burnt corn in them that was found with the pottery. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Matt58

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 01:43 PM

very cool! Thanks.
Posted By: coonlove

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 01:47 PM

Are all those artifacts from New jersey? Impressive collection for sure.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 01:51 PM

That is pretty amazing and very interesting. Do you suppose the ones all found together were a cache for when they came back through again?
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 02:11 PM

Thanks for posting. Very nice.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 02:15 PM

Pretty Impresive
Posted By: snowy

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 02:16 PM

That is a great collection and nice picture.

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 02:50 PM

Most are from NJ some from Virginia and Tennessee. Many of them from family farm. I think they often cached arrowheads and all kinds of stone tools to use when they came back that way again. No use carrying heavy rocks from place to place when you could just make new when you arrived at a location. Gramp made almost a hundred frames like the Indian head and Eagle pictured here and sold them for between $100 and $300 in the family's zoo gift shop. Every once in a while one shows up on eBay. Have seen them bid for and sold for $6000 to $10,000 on there. He signed them all (Ralph Space) so it is easy to tell if they were his. I will try and get a picture of what I think is the most unique thing in the collection and post it here. It was taken off display so I will have to get my sister Lori to find it for me.
Posted By: Woodsloafer72

Re: Indian Rock - 11/12/18 03:00 PM

An impressive collection. I especially like the atlatl weights.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Indian Rock - 11/13/18 02:21 AM

My Indian rock.
Some nice stuff there. I got some good stuff too from my digging days back in the 60's and high school days, but not the amount that you do. Probably would of gotten better grades if I had studied more and hadn't been digging in caves.

https://imgur.com/a/K0Yxn3t
Posted By: oldtrapper

Re: Indian Rock - 11/13/18 02:31 AM

If you were closer to Mexico I would say it's a Spanish treasure symbol.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Indian Rock - 11/13/18 10:36 AM

Wow. That's a lot of stuff

My only find is an atlatl head i found while turkey hunting
Posted By: Mississippi

Re: Indian Rock - 11/13/18 02:14 PM

that is a very nice collection. thanks for sharing. I have 2 Indian mounds on my property but never found anything but some arrowheads

Re: Indian Rock - 11/16/18 04:54 PM

Here is a better picture of the rock. Second picture is where the glacier pushed it out of the rock face thousands of years ago. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Indian Rock - 11/16/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by eric space
Here is a better picture of the rock. Second picture is where the glacier pushed it out of the rock face thousands of years ago. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eric I know that for years such rocks were said to have been put there by glaciers but there is a growing number of archeologists that now believe they were actually moved and placed by preindian people because there are some that are just like that but are outside the range of glaciers

Why they would do it I don’t know anymore then why they would assemble large piles of stone and stack them up into mounds or move rocks to connect one rock outcropping to another but there is plenty of evidence that they did just that
© 2024 Trapperman Forums