Home

Anybody use a game cart or sled?

Posted By: Hardcase

Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:02 PM

If you do which one? How do you like it??
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:09 PM

I have both, homemade cart makes life so much easier for an old man trying to get a Deer out of the woods, sled works great too, especially with a lot of down timber or limbs, if it's not too rocky.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:13 PM

My wife just got me the Hawk Crawler this season, She tried to get it last Xmas but they were sold out. It's pretty big but I took the independent axles off and it fits into the extended cab of my Tacoma. I only used it towing my daughter around the backyard , but rolls over firewood logs with her in it like butter.She's around 110lbs and can't even tell.
Posted By: Jmack

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:15 PM

I also have both. For me it depends on were i am hunting and snow amounts. The carts work really well with 2 folks but I hauled a cow elk out a couple years back by myself and ground was pretty flat and not much ground littler. The sleds are awesome if there is snow or grass to drag them on. On the plus side I use my sled all winter hooked to my snowmobile for trapping.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:16 PM

When there is 4" or more of snow I use an otter sled for hauling deer otherwise I use a hand truck that has pneumatic wheelbarrow tires. Pull a deer out rather easily with both modes of transport.

Chris
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 09:59 PM

I need to get me a cart or make one I spent the morning dragging a big doe about 200 yards just to get her to my 4wheeler and wagon
J
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 10:02 PM

Doing that will give you the fever to get one all right! LOL The sled is awesome on leaf litter too.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 11:32 PM

Got the Cabela's cart...and it is AWESOME! Wow, what a work saver. They roll so easy...hard to believe until you try one.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 11:50 PM

I use sleds. Make sure you get one with some height to the sides. Stuff likes to fall out going over rough terrain and logs otherwise. I've got a molded camo one that I like best, but I don't remember the brand name. I used 1/8" cable to replace the drag rope and made a handle out of the grey conduit so my wet glove wouldn't stick to it. Never tried a cart. I like my sled because I can load it with rat traps and float it along beside me, and work out of it, as I work my way around some of our irrigation lakes. When there's snow or grass, I love it for hauling beaver to the truck or 4-wheeler.

I also started using mine to haul loads of colony traps around as I set ponds. It's so light it really doesn't matter if I drag it across mud or whatever. I can haul 15-20 non-collapsible colony traps at a time. Saves a lot on the fingers and trips to the truck.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/10/18 11:51 PM

I also have both. Brought a Wy pronghorn out 3/4 mile by hand with the cart about a month ago. Much better than the sled would be in that application. On the other hand, I pulled a big deer out with the sled over corn stubble using my 4 wheeler. The cart would have worked but I would have had to pull it by hand. Also used the sled to pull out a couple of beaver over ground the cart would not have handled. The bigger the wheels on the cart the easier they pull.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 12:52 AM

have used sled while trapping.....a cart for deer.

past few years i have my grown sons. lol
Posted By: Bigbuck

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 01:29 AM

I sure want one of these but they are priey.
https://youtu.be/Ym6ne8lcDHw
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 02:15 AM

I have a viking sled works great for deer , use it like a stretcher to load the deer in the back of the truck and keep the blood contained so that your don't have to sit on a bloody, wet or frozen tail gate.

we group hunt opening weekend , 5 in the cab 3 across the tail gate sometimes a 4th up in the bed

for trapping from my van I left the sled in the van and tossed critters in it.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 03:06 AM

Have used a game cart (cabelas) and a sled that is made for transporting injured people when there was snow. But in a pinch a plain old tarp wrapped around the deer and fashion a handle of some sort works OK. Farthest I have dragged a deer without anything was just over a mile and it was a lot of work.
I generally keep a cart handy.

Canoed in to get last years buck out.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 03:26 AM

I used sleds years ago the ones that roll up and easy to pack. In the last 20 plus years we pack out everything in quarters is so much easier. It takes less time and meat just needs to be cut how yo want it when you get home. Once in a while if time allows us to we will debone all meat in pack it out also.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 03:31 AM

have you looked at quartering the deer on location ? is that an option in your state?

having drug a deer by myself 1/2 mile or so , I would sooner 1/4 it out on location and carry out just that was going to use I would be walking 2 miles if I had to make 2 trips but that would be much easier than dragging all that dead weight.

back when I drug 1/2 mile it wasn't a legal option in WI to quarter a deer in the field.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 05:22 AM

I have used a sled for years.I've hauled,deer,antelope,bear,wolves and even moose quarters on it.I can slide it over blowdowns and under barbed wire fences.I rigged it with spring clips on the side and a removable,nylon,pull strap on the front.The beauty of the spring clips is that you don't have to lace a rope through the small holes in the sled but it is more like speed lacing on a boot.You can lace it up in seconds and even if you roll the sled,you load stays in.I can handle a big game animal well enough by myself with it to get them in the truck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 06:07 AM

My wife picked me up a sled. Gets the job done, I like it.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 11:41 AM

I just use a wheelbarrow
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 07:36 PM

A friend bought 5 deer sleds at walmart that were on clearance for 7 dollars each. He sold me three of them for the same price. One for camp, one for home, and a spare.
I bought one for my ittle brother about 20+ years ago. It has pulled at least 100 deer to his barn or pick up. He bought a deer cart a couple years ago but we find the sled a better choice most of the time.
Posted By: MTtraps

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/11/18 08:07 PM

We use both, have the roll up large sleds and one and two wheeled carts. I made the single wheel ones like a wheel barrow frame (aluminum square tubing) for use on trails and such. Just picked up a two wheel cart earlier this week. Grabbed my kids and we just used it and the sleds to pack in elk quarters this morning. Just a bit of snow out there so at times the cart was easier other times the sleds. Either way when you're on foot and have heavy loads of meat they are handy.
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/12/18 02:14 PM

I have the cabellas game cart. Love it.
Posted By: Kyt

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/12/18 03:37 PM

I use a jogging stroller. They are expensive if you buy them new, but $5 to $40 so far at yard sales and flea markets. They are relatively light but will carry over 200 pounds. The large wheels can go over rough terrain and are a breeze on any road or open trail. Their weak area is going around a steep side slope because the tricycle wheel arrangement tends to tip over. In any area you can use one they are surprisingly tough.

I roll my gear and rifle in on a gated service road to 100 yards from stand location and stash it . Drag deer downhill to the road, load in the stroller, roll the deer to the truck. They are good for rolling in trapping gear and hauling out the catch too.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/12/18 04:40 PM

I hunt with two younger guys they drag my deer out lol
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/12/18 04:51 PM

Once you try one of these you'll never go back to anything else.

Posted By: 653

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/12/18 08:12 PM

Quarter em up dump em in pack frame and use a sled if snow or walk on out with pack. gave up taking the whole carcus yrs ago
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/14/18 09:25 AM

I got a deer cart from Cabela's about 20 years ago .It saves a lot of work .It really is at it best if you have someone that is at either end .We use it often to haul treestands and other gear to our hunting spots .It is a back saver and a time saver
Posted By: Marty

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/14/18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kyt
I use a jogging stroller. They are expensive if you buy them new, but $5 to $40 so far at yard sales and flea markets. They are relatively light but will carry over 200 pounds. The large wheels can go over rough terrain and are a breeze on any road or open trail. Their weak area is going around a steep side slope because the tricycle wheel arrangement tends to tip over. In any area you can use one they are surprisingly tough.

I roll my gear and rifle in on a gated service road to 100 yards from stand location and stash it . Drag deer downhill to the road, load in the stroller, roll the deer to the truck. They are good for rolling in trapping gear and hauling out the catch too.

I use one whenever possible to haul in treestand/sticks/pack and bow.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/14/18 01:28 PM

I use a cheap walmart plastic kids sled. I don't have much to haul around though, just 2-3 five gallon buckets. I only use it on ice and snow. It does make it easier to bring kids along. I just put a longer rope on and hook myself up like a sled dog.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/14/18 02:59 PM

Game cart. Built from 2 lawnmower handles, all thread, conduit, high boy mower wheels and some webbing. Will go up and over most logs and what not in the woods. I leave it under my stand so I have it when I need it.
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Anybody use a game cart or sled? - 11/14/18 08:56 PM

I made a cart a couple of years ago. Makes it easier to get them out of the woods.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums