Home

Awesome modern movies.

Posted By: Finster

Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 09:50 PM

What do you consider some of the best modern movies? Let's keep it to 1990 or newer. I'm watching Shawshank Redemption as I type. For sure in my top 5. Saving Private Ryan would probably be 1st. If we include mini series, I would have to say Band of Brothers takes the win.
Posted By: arcman

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:17 PM

Lone Survivor, American Sniper, John Wick, Braveheart, The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator.

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by arcman
Lone Survivor, American Sniper, John Wick, Braveheart, The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator.
Yea, for me, American sniper is right up there. Braveheart, also a great flick! Thanks!
Posted By: goldnut

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:39 PM

Hairspray, The Notebook, Coyote Ugly, Legally Blonde, Mean girls and Brokeback Mountain
Posted By: FlyinFinn

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:43 PM

Not sure if it's still on Netflix, but I love the movie Rubber.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:49 PM

Last of the Mohicans is probably my all-time favorite movie. Filmed in 1992, it is a very powerful movie based on James Fenimore Cooper's 1825 novel of the same name. The novel is the second in his five-novel series the "Leatherstocking Tales" and is considered to be one of the hundred best novels ever written.

At the opposite end of the spectrum but also one of my all-time favorites is "The Breakfast Club." It was released in 1985 which puts it outside your parameters, but I think it is worth the mention.
Posted By: keets

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:53 PM

THE HANG OVER

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Last of the Mohicans is probably my all-time favorite movie. Filmed in 1992, it is a very powerful movie based on James Fenimore Cooper's 1825 novel of the same name. The novel is the second in his five-novel series the "Leatherstocking Tales" and is considered to be one of the hundred best novels ever written.

At the opposite end of the spectrum but also one of my all-time favorites is "The Breakfast Club." It was released in 1985 which puts it outside your parameters, but I think it is worth the mention.

Yup! Last of the Mohicans, Awesome movie!

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by goldnut
Hairspray, The Notebook, Coyote Ugly, Legally Blonde, Mean girls and Brokeback Mountain

Answers many questions I have had..... By the way...… you're not allowed over anymore..... Tammy is..... you ain't cool
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/11/18 11:18 PM

We were soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Hunt For Red October. Older ones: Jeramiah Johnson, A Bridge to far, Patton, Kellys Heros, Where Eagle Dare, The Guns of Navarone, Tora Tora Tora, The Dirty Dozen, The Good The Bad, and The Ugly, The Green Berets, and most John Wayne and Clint Eastwood Movies.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:02 AM

I thought the 1991 movie "Black Robe" was a good production and fairly historically correct.
I liked the little Miqmaq shaman Mistigoit
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:24 AM

My wife insisted that we go see Hacksaw Ridge in the theater when it came out. I was glad we went to see it, but some of the horrific scenes disturbed me to the point that I alsmost left.

I agree with many of the titles already listed as well.

Mike
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:25 AM

Dances with wolves and legends of the fall haven’t been mentioned. Both good ones.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
I thought the 1991 movie "Black Robe" was a good production and fairly historically correct.
I liked the little Miqmaq shaman Mistigoit

Really great movie that's hard to find down here.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:47 AM

The Green MIle
Saving Private Ryan
In the Line of Fire
War Room
Fury
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:47 AM

Sling Blade, Falling down, There Will Be Blood, Oh Brother Where Art Thou, The Ghost and the Darkness.
Posted By: TPtrapping

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:56 AM

1992 A River Runs Through It
Posted By: adam m

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 01:01 AM

Many greats have been mentioned already. Here's a few more
American Made
13 Hours
Valley of Elah
Book of Eli
Passion of Christ
Sicario (both)
Gran Turino
Fast and furious (all)
Young guns II ( young guns 1 was 1988)
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 01:02 AM

Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, Man on Fire (newer one)
Posted By: Tim H.

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by arrowsmith
We were soldiers, Saving Private Ryan, Hunt For Red October. Older ones: Jeramiah Johnson, A Bridge to far, Patton, Kellys Heros, Where Eagle Dare, The Guns of Navarone, Tora Tora Tora, The Dirty Dozen, The Good The Bad, and The Ugly, The Green Berets, and most John Wayne and Clint Eastwood Movies.

Guns of navarone may be way outside the date range, but it's the best way movie out there IMO.
Posted By: white17

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 02:05 AM

respectfully........... I really do not understand people mentioning Private Ryan. That is the most unrealistic , absurd POS I have ever seen ! Seriously !

We were soldiers once, and Young is.........IMO the most realistic I have seen

Oh.............. Beaches is really good too laugh
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 02:18 AM

Tommy Boy
We are the Millers
Something about Mary
Porkys

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 04:15 AM

Tommy Boy is a classic in the same category as Dumb and Dumber.

The Cobbler
Elf
Posted By: hrdtoflw

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 04:20 AM

Just got done watching Quigley Down Under. Always liked that one.

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by white17
respectfully........... I really do not understand people mentioning Private Ryan. That is the most unrealistic , absurd POS I have ever seen ! Seriously !

I think what makes the movie is the opening beach scene. Which, from my understanding, was so realistic that WWII vets, that were really there, had to walk out of because it brought back such bad memories. Also, it's not really so much the story line of the movie but the underlining tone of duty, honor, patriotism and sacrifice that all of those vets went through over there. The story itself may be pure fiction but I guarantee that every part of that movie was played out over there at one time or another, in pieces, by different heroes. At least that's why I think it's one of the best movies ever.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 01:15 PM

We were Soldiers

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 02:07 PM

Only the Brave
The mountain between us
Walking out
Posted By: Ouananiche

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 03:01 PM

My favourite recent film is "(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or High Water"

The remake of "True Grit" was great too... Oddly both Jeff Bridges movies.
Posted By: Ouananiche

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ouananiche
My favourite recent film is "(This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or High Water"

Hilarious that is a word that's banned on here. "Heck or High Water" better?
Posted By: bmccoyote

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 03:52 PM

Lonesome Dove mini series is all time favorite

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ouananiche

I am a "True Grit" fan, (My favorite western) but I hated the remake. Give me John Wayne any day.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bmccoyote
Lonesome Dove mini series is all time favorite

Same here
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 04:36 PM

Wind River

Legends of the Fall

The Edge
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 08:37 PM

Quigley Down Under
The Notebook
Forever Young
Saving Pvt. Ryan

Favorite TV series would be Monk. Also liked Tom Selleck as Robert Parker's Jesse Stone. Don't know what year that would be from.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 09:00 PM

Open Range and the True Grit remake (sorry Finster).
Posted By: Darwin

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 09:14 PM

A lot of great movies mentioned, Jurassic Park, the original is still a favorite of mine. Of course me being a child at heart how could i not like a dinosaur movie.
One series that i did not see mentioned, The Pacific. It was an HBO mini series that was great. One of the main characters was a man named E.B. Sledge he wrote a book called With The Old Breed. If you're a history buff you need to check it out.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 10:48 PM

The Count of Monte Cristo

A Perfect World ( Kevin Costner...directed by Clint Eastwood)

Shawshank Redemption

Dust to Glory ( the original one ) ....if you like off-road moto and Baja........Epic
Posted By: Metalbender

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 10:51 PM

I agree on The Pacific and another favorite is Band of Brothers
Posted By: ky_coyote_hunter

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

I think what makes the movie is the opening beach scene. Which, from my understanding, was so realistic that WWII vets, that were really there, had to walk out of because it brought back such bad memories. Also, it's not really so much the story line of the movie but the underlining tone of duty, honor, patriotism and sacrifice that all of those vets went through over there. The story itself may be pure fiction but I guarantee that every part of that movie was played out over there at one time or another, in pieces, by different heroes. At least that's why I think it's one of the best movies ever.

I witnessed this firsthand, was at the local theatre when a large group of WWII veterans were seated for the movie. Some in uniform, and when that beach landing scene film rolled over half of them found the exit.

Immense respect for those soldiers, they really were the greatest generation by far.
Posted By: Marty

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 11:25 PM

Rocky was a great movie...

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/12/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ky_coyote_hunter

Immense respect for those soldiers, they really were the greatest generation by far.

Your not kidding. Although there are plenty of people out there today that measure up to that standard, the chances of an entire generation doing the same seem fleeting to say the least. Back then you had an entire generation, actually 3 generations unite for a single cause. Elders that stayed behind and gave there children, the men and women that fought, and the others that supported them by manufacturing and even the children that had drives for scrap metal, rubber, paper and the like. The entire country was united. Sadly, People have become so self centered and selfish, I don't see it happening again.
Posted By: charles

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 12:37 AM

Open Range is my favorite of the new Westerns.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 01:05 AM

Man on Fire,Girl with the Dragon Tattoo(Daniel Craig),Wind River,Dances with Wolves,Original Jurassic Park,Tombstone with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer(I'll be your Huckleberry),Gladiator,Enemy at the Gates,Lord of the Rings Trilogy,Pearl Harbour,American Sniper,Hurt Locker-there are a lot of great movies out there but there sure is some junk too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 01:18 AM

Anybody say Lion King?

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 01:31 AM

Man i forgot all about Pearl Harbor. Some great flying scenes in that one ! Gladiator too !!

But, seriously. My all time favorite is Amadeus ! Great music and acting !

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 01:49 AM

Man i forgot all about Pearl Harbor. Some great flying scenes in that one ! Gladiator too !!

Amadeus was a great movie. I forgot that even existed. I'll have to watch it again, I haven't seen it in years.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 01:50 AM

The Hi-Lo Country and (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) or High Water are two very good modern westerns IMO.

Lonesome Dove is all time favorite for me as well.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:14 AM

Yes, indeed !

Amadeus......outstanding. I have seen it often, but I need to see that again soon.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:19 AM

Being John Malkovich
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

I read Last of the Mohicans when I was a teenager headed for a bad end. It sparked a love of reading that turned my life around. However, I hated the movie because it was not faithful to the book. Turned ole Hawkeye into a freaking hippy.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:23 AM

If you like Amadeus, check out "Immortal Beloved."
Posted By: Marty

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:25 AM

Enemy at the gates was not bad at all.....

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by pass-thru

If you like Amadeus, check out "Immortal Beloved."

I'll give it a shot ! Thanks !!
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 02:46 AM

I am more amazed in the suggestions in most of them I was repulsed by in the actors were all left wing zealots.

If I stay with the 1990's on then:

1. Boondock Saints
2. True Lies
3. Hunt for Red October
4. Don't Say a Word
5. 3:10 to Yuma
6. Taras Bulba
7, We were Soldiers once.......and young.
8. Napoleon Dynamite
9. National Treasure
10. House of Flying Daggers

If you want something different and better than Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, House of Flying Daggers is a masterpiece of cinema.
Posted By: Savell

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 03:12 AM

UNFORGIVEN
Posted By: 9wire

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 04:52 AM

The Outlaw Josey Wales
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 05:10 AM

Yep seen the Outlaw Josey Wales a dozen times, along with Red Dawn and Roadhouse.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 08:11 AM

Syriana, Blood Diamond,
I can’t believe no one’s mentioned The Expendables— over-the-top good-guy action with the modern kings of the genre.

Re: Awesome modern movies. - 11/14/18 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by 9wire
The Outlaw Josey Wales

Come on now, that was 1976
© 2024 Trapperman Forums