Home

So apparently I'm a A hole

Posted By: Michigan Trappin

So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 10:33 PM

This morning while leaving from deer hunting a property that I have exclusive rights to for over ten years, and hunting in a stand that has been there for those ten years. I noticed something odd. NO TRESSPASSING SIGNS. Facing from a property that got bought two years ago from by a guy that lives nearby

So my first thought. "Somebody has been sneaking on my access then going on to the other property"

So I call the new owner and ask if he has had somebody coming off my section. He says: " nope those are directed at you". Well I'm shocked, I don't trespass, I've been in that property once about five years ago to get a deer I shot, after getting permission from the property owner

So I asked "why" he cones unglued, here's the list I can remembe
You horded in on my spot like you alwas do
You tree stand is right where the deer come from
You have all the standing corn on your piece
I pay taxes for this property
You are just hunting someone else's property
I heard you shoot a deer this morning ,
Ten years ago you started goose hunting a propert a few fields away from one we were hunting just because you heard we were getting geese
You have so many properties that you hunt and so not pay taxes for them
I see your truck at properties all over the area
I only got one dày off to hunt and you get to hunt a lot more than me
The other neighbor doesn't like you either
The other neighbors have a bunch of people hunting too
There are no deer over at my farm
There was more personnel attacks too

The entire time I'm calmly explain give been hunting properties around here for 10-30 years and I've never trespassed, shot over the lines or put my stands on property lines others are hunting

The entire time after I refute each claim I tell him "I'm sorry you feel that way"

Wow caught me so off guard too, have always had a cordial relationship with him prior even buying straw from him over the years
Posted By: Abu65

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 10:40 PM

Deer hunting often brings out the ugly in people. There's been a lot of friendships lost over deer. Keep doing what your doing and good luck.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 10:53 PM

I think this is my favorite one: "You have all the standing corn on your piece"
Posted By: pcr2

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 10:56 PM

welcome to the club,life member #261 here.
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:05 PM

green with envy by the sounds of it.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:18 PM

My son who just turn 18 yesterday was sitting in the truck with me while this conversation took place on speaker

When it was over he said " how did you not come unglued on him". I said because I know the he is wrong and obiviousoy has something else eating at him"

By the way he killed a big 8 point with his bow on the property just a week ago and the other neighbor that "doesn't like me" killed a twelve point a week or so ago. He must think I don't know I was actually happy for both if them when I was told by a guy that seen both of them. Still am, I'm not a trophy hunter, like killing bigger bucks but I'm happy with the meat
Posted By: Finster

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:23 PM

Yup, people get weird. I have a neighbor that thinks he owns the entire road just because he grew up around here. He doesn't own squat but thinks you need his permission.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:37 PM

National hate your neighbor week.
Posted By: Scott Adams

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:37 PM

I kinda know how you feel, the hound hunters around here more or less hate me for being a trapper, they try to get land owners to not let me trap. They literally go and ask them to not let me trap.
Posted By: kenny k

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/15/18 11:42 PM

It's all over. Got the same crap here too.
Posted By: coyote44

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:24 AM

Deer hunting is when grown men act like little boys.
Posted By: Boco

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:28 AM

I wouldn't put up with that nonsense.I'd burn him out.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:31 AM

since u have his phone number don't forget to text him a thumbs up pic with the deer u shoot in the background
Posted By: Getting There

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:32 AM

Know you know why I stopped deer hunting 25 years ago, Gun hunters do not like bow hunters, bow hunter do not like the black powder hunter, no one likes the youth season. JMO
Posted By: arrowsmith

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:41 AM

Don't loose any sleep over it. I was sensative to adjacent landowner's by not crossing lines, keeping stands away from and pointed away from line, and calling for permission if a deer I was trailing up crossed from our 200 onto his 30 acres. One day I'm sitting in one of my stands enjoying the warm fall day when I hear a stick break over my shoulder. I ease to my feet and slowly reach for the bow, but stop short when I see the neighbor walking down my trail through the center of my property coming toward me. He is turkey hunting and dressed in full camo. I softy whistle to let him know I'm above him and he walks up and says "oh, your hunting today, huh", I respond in a whisper, "yes, have you seen any birds?" ,to which he replies, "no, you probably scared them out of the oaks while walking to your stand!" Now remember, we're at least 100 yds in on my property line, and I own the oaks to which he's referring I tell him I've seen no sign of birds, but good luck, and he trounces off. The next day I hear pounding in the woods and when I walk to the stand later in the day I can clearly see red posted signs on every other tree along the line. PEOPLE ARE STRANGE SOMETIMES.
Posted By: keets

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:45 AM

older fella I know said " you know it's deer season when you wave at the neighbor, and he doesn't wave back"...sad but true
Posted By: Ole

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:52 AM

Send him a nice text congratulating him and his neighbor on getting nice deer.
Posted By: Marty

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:52 AM

All you can do is be polite and hope it does not escalate.

Certainly will take some of the pleasure out of hunting that property.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:57 AM

The advent of who shot the highest scoring antlered deer has changed the way and the why people hunt them. People get a few pictures of a truly large buck on their trail camera and they think that is their deer .. Most hunters hunt their whole lifetime and never see a buck that would score 150 . And many including myself would not be able to begin to estimate what a 150 scoring buck looks like while in the woods . Add in the fact that unless you own or control access to a very large chunk of land .You can not manage that land to protect certain deer . A whitetail can cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time . Several years ago I watched a herd of doe cross through 6 different properties in about 25 minutes . I understand in the Midwest it might not be like that But if a deer gets on it's feet and decides to go elsewhere that could be quite far from where it had been . Adding car collisions coyotes and poachers to the mix and no one it certain to kill a certain buck .Yes some people do it but it is a very small number . And some people become angry with those that are either very very good or just get lucky . All any of us can control is our own actions . So If you did nothing to provoke his complaints toward you just need to keep doing what you have in the past . He is not going to have a change of his attitude towards every other hunter but himself.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 01:24 AM

Yup ..paying all them property taxes has him boiled OVAH.
Posted By: white17

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
The advent of who shot the highest scoring antlered deer has changed the way and the why people hunt them. People get a few pictures of a truly large buck on their trail camera and they think that is their deer .. Most hunters hunt their whole lifetime and never see a buck that would score 150 . And many including myself would not be able to begin to estimate what a 150 scoring buck looks like while in the woods . Add in the fact that unless you own or control access to a very large chunk of land .You can not manage that land to protect certain deer . A whitetail can cover a lot of territory in a short amount of time . Several years ago I watched a herd of doe cross through 6 different properties in about 25 minutes . I understand in the Midwest it might not be like that But if a deer gets on it's feet and decides to go elsewhere that could be quite far from where it had been . Adding car collisions coyotes and poachers to the mix and no one it certain to kill a certain buck .Yes some people do it but it is a very small number . And some people become angry with those that are either very very good or just get lucky . All any of us can control is our own actions . So If you did nothing to provoke his complaints toward you just need to keep doing what you have in the past . He is not going to have a change of his attitude towards every other hunter but himself.

Good advice and an insightful post.
I think it would be beneficial for a lot of deer hunters to go north and shoot a moose. You might wonder whatever possessed you to want to shoot a tiny deer !
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 01:48 AM

Sounds like a typical snowflake

Next deer you gut , be sure to leave a bloody hand print on his precious no trespass sign
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:01 AM

As for the a-hole title ,If the person is really sincere in calling me that I like too tell them they are incorrect in that assumption .I tell them I have spent my whole lifetime working on being One and I am a professional a-hole and they need to get their facts right .
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:27 AM

As for the a-hole title ,If the person is really sincere in calling me that I like too tell them they are incorrect in that assumption .I tell them I have spent my whole lifetime working on being One and I am a professional a-hole and they need to get their facts right .

x2. Lol

I get told I'm one all the time... Whatever. I sleep well.

Mike
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:30 AM

Your mistake was to call in the first place. You gave him exactly what he wanted. You don't go over there so who cares about the signs?
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

x2. Lol

I get told I'm one all the time... Whatever. I sleep well.

Mike

I'm a retired one but like to stay in practice. Keep sharp .
Posted By: trapper les

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 03:54 AM

Deer season is "hate your neighbor week"
Posted By: Mark K

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 04:06 AM

I am an expert on A-holes. I am a professional A-hole. You are not even close to being one. Now that guy, he has a PH D in A-hole.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 04:11 AM

Every day I get down on my knees and thank GOD I left your world.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by pass-thru
Your mistake was to call in the first place. You gave him exactly what he wanted. You don't go over there so who cares about the signs?

Yea but I called because I thought someone must be accessing his property via the piece I hunt on Was trying to be neighborly and address any issues with trespassers

I'm still shaking my head about him, as if I'm suppose to stop hunting from my stand because it's by where the deer go to his property from the area I've been hunting for ten years. So I must be doing something right if after ten years the deer are still going by my stand
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 10:11 AM

Make sure you understand the relationship between your neighbor and the landowner that gave you permission. I've seen a lot of situations like this where the owner tries to keep peace in the area by asking you not to hunt there anymore or your neighbor tries to lease the land or etc. If your on solid ground with the landowner that gave you permission- I wouldn't let it bother you at all- you haven't done anything wrong.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 10:46 AM

Yea the land owner asked me ten years ago to come and hunt his property. He's not a hunter and wanted deer removed. Said a couple of guys had been hunting it for several years and had only killed one deer. I told him I had a good deer hunting locations but would help him out

So this is what happen the first two times I hunted it ten years ago

Bow hunting exact same stand I was in yesterday morning, prim time evening hunt a buck and a doe are walking edge of field headed my way. About 80'yards away. Suddenly they spook and run off. Over the hill comes some guy in street close. He turns and leaves to the "other neighbor who doesn't like me" property. Five minutes later another guy come walking same route So now I'm ticked off. I yell at him from my stand "what are you doing". He says looking for a deer I get down have a "discussion" with the guy (it's the other neighbor that doesn't like me". And I tell him you wecome to retrieve shot deer over here but not during prime hunting, come after dark and have a blood trail (he had none and was "just looking for blood "

So I don't return until a couple of days in to firearms season for my second hunt (same stand). While walking to my stand I killed 3 deer 2 doe and a small buck, I killed one more doe while sitting in my stand Then passed on more as I knew 4 deer where going to take a while to field dress and drag out (at this time we could by unlimited doe permits as the deer population was out of control in the area). So I go to the land owners house and let him know how the hunt went and that I would be a while out getting the deer retrieved Hes super excited and wants to join me in the retrieval as he has never hunted

After getting the deer out he says. "You seem to know how to kill deer, so you are in charge of the property now" ok thanks
He says "I mean it. Nobody hunts unless you let them"

So the following spring I ask for permission to turkey hunt ". He says I told you that you are in charge of hunting here. Do what ever you want "

Since that time I've brought youngsters out there to to get there first deer and helped his wife's boss get his first shot at a deer (he missed). I have a great relationship with him and they even call me when they are on vàctions to check on the house for them
Posted By: MB750

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 10:47 AM

I like the ones who say "I have nowhere to hunt". Most of the time it is because they never stop & ask for permission. My neighbor called me a couple days ago & asked ME to kill deer on him. It happens every year.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:03 AM

You're in a great position then-

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
Yea the land owner asked me ten years ago to come and hunt his property. He's not a hunter and wanted deer removed. Said a couple of guys had been hunting it for several years and had only killed one deer. I told him I had a good deer hunting locations but would help him out

So this is what happen the first two times I hunted it ten years ago

Bow hunting exact same stand I was in yesterday morning, prim time evening hunt a buck and a doe are walking edge of field headed my way. About 80'yards away. Suddenly they spook and run off. Over the hill comes some guy in street close. He turns and leaves to the "other neighbor who doesn't like me" property. Five minutes later another guy come walking same route So now I'm ticked off. I yell at him from my stand "what are you doing". He says looking for a deer I get down have a "discussion" with the guy (it's the other neighbor that doesn't like me". And I tell him you wecome to retrieve shot deer over here but not during prime hunting, come after dark and have a blood trail (he had none and was "just looking for blood "

So I don't return until a couple of days in to firearms season for my second hunt (same stand). While walking to my stand I killed 3 deer 2 doe and a small buck, I killed one more doe while sitting in my stand Then passed on more as I knew 4 deer where going to take a while to field dress and drag out (at this time we could by unlimited doe permits as the deer population was out of control in the area). So I go to the land owners house and let him know how the hunt went and that I would be a while out getting the deer retrieved Hes super excited and wants to join me in the retrieval as he has never hunted

After getting the deer out he says. "You seem to know how to kill deer, so you are in charge of the property now" ok thanks
He says "I mean it. Nobody hunts unless you let them"

So the following spring I ask for permission to turkey hunt ". He says I told you that you are in charge of hunting here. Do what ever you want "

Since that time I've brought youngsters out there to to get there first deer and helped his wife's boss get his first shot at a deer (he missed). I have a great relationship with him and they even call me when they are on vàctions to check on the house for them

Nice!

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mark K
I am an expert on A-holes. I am a professional A-hole.

Don't even have to try to be an a-hole, it just comes naturally......
laugh

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:24 AM

heck,i think it was David Allan Coe wrote our own song. whistle
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 12:19 PM

Glad there is just about no private land here..

laugh
Posted By: EdP

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 01:37 PM

There are always those who think the success earned by others is due to them also even though they have not put in the work. This is just another form of whining about "income inequality." So long as there is inequality in talent and work ethic, there will be inequality in results. There is little to be gained by trying to change their minds. Your time is better spent maintaining your relationship with those who appreciate what you achieve.
Posted By: Mississippi

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 01:50 PM

I think you handled it very well, you never know what issues someone else may be dealing with and he decided to take it out on you.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:04 PM

He sounds like a low functioning control freak more worried about what he doesn't have then what he has! Last thing I'd worry about is his mental issues carry on it sounds like your golden nothing to sweat so don't.
Posted By: possumcatcher

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Adams
I kinda know how you feel, the hound hunters around here more or less hate me for being a trapper, they try to get land owners to not let me trap. They literally go and ask them to not let me trap.

Same here...
Posted By: Pike River

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 02:49 PM

Just be safe out there and douple check your stand to make sure it hasn't been tampered with.

Hope you have a safe and enjoyable week.
Posted By: Bob

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 03:02 PM

Wow. I’ve been hunting out here in eastern Montana for ten years, it’s certainly not like that here. At least not that I’ve experienced, except for one guy that was mad at me because I had read a map wrong and was on his side of the fencline. All the more reason to never move east. Deer hunting out here is a big deal but it’s never been the source of tension between anyone I know
Posted By: waggler

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 03:09 PM

I'm glad I don't live or hunt in whitetail country. It sounds like people have lost their minds, and after watching a show about whitetail farming on a "hunting" channel two nights ago I'm convinced of it.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 03:29 PM

Best thing you could do is, teach this guy how to kill a deer....

Michigan deer hunters are some of the worst to be around....they get crazy...Most of the crazy ones can't kill a deer...
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 04:15 PM

I'm betting somebody else has gotten in his head to get him all stirred up all of a sudden

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by l1ranger
I'm betting somebody else has gotten in his head to get him all stirred up all of a sudden

This wouldn't surprise me, I have been doing ADC work for MSU and they asked me to bid doing ADC work on a large parcel where another guy has been fur trapping for years. But they want me cage trapping in the area open to the public and have now asked me for a price to coyote and fox trap out of public view. They are also buddies

So maybe I'm "hoarding in" on him because they asked me to bid trapping that property.

Yea they want to pay me And he's allowed to keep trapping for fur

They want predator removal not just hobby trapper but serious reduction of predators
Posted By: The Beav

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 05:45 PM

I agree with your neighbor. LOL

Just kidding.

I'm usually pretty cool by nature and don't get my hackles up. But the other day this guy got In my face about coyote trapping. I invited him to get out of the truck. Probably was a good thing for me that he didn't LOL
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 09:50 PM

I don't rifle hunt for all reasons mentioned above. I don't make a big deal out of it cause it brings revenue to the state. I stay home and catch up on skinning. Cut up muskrats for bait on the coming winter line etc. It's craziness otherwise. It's not that I can't put up with all the BS, it's that I don't have too.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 09:55 PM

were you born an.......or did ya work at it your whole life.

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:26 PM

My boy joined me as a A hole tonight
I can hear the guy complainin now

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Sullivan K

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/16/18 11:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_y9FB0QKk
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/17/18 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
My boy joined me as a A hole tonight
I can hear the guy complainin now

Keep being the best a -hole you can be. keep knocking down the brown. Sarge
Posted By: illinideer

Re: So apparently I'm a A hole - 11/18/18 12:02 AM

You should pm us his phone # and we can send him pictures of our deer .
J
© 2024 Trapperman Forums