Home

Vortex Scopes

Posted By: Finster

Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 02:51 AM

Anyone have a Vortex scope? I've been looking for a new scope and I've never owned or used a Vortex. They give an unlimited lifetime guarantee even if you do something stupid like drop it or whatever, they will fix it or replace it free. Seems like a good company if they live up to that.
Posted By: 1993f-150

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 03:00 AM

I have one and like it. I’ve heard nothing but good about them.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 03:06 AM

I bought one simply for the fact that their warranty is so good. But, the scope itself sucks. I regret buying it.
I didn’t even look through it before buying it. The magnification is crap and it’s pure tunnel vision, like looking through a toilet paper roll. I’ll be more careful next time.
Posted By: wkimble1

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 03:20 AM

Some of the best scopes out there. Which model do you have Jurassic?
Posted By: NvHermit

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 03:27 AM

I have one of their spotting scopes and I love it. It's not a Swarovski but I checked them out side by side and they were pretty close.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 04:12 AM

Have a spotting scope, binoculars, and scope. Love them all. I've used plenty of stuff there quality by me and my family.
Posted By: garymc

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 11:38 AM

Great warranty. I had to use it 3 times in 3 years on a Vortex Diamondback HP. After the 3rd failure I sold it and bought a Leupold. I have had 4 scope failures in 40 years of shooting 3 Vortex and 1 Simmons. Many have had great luck with Vortex. Me not so much
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by wkimble1

I have the vortex viper 3-9x40. The tunnel vision is what drives me nuts. Hard to find your target looking through it.
Posted By: Mocular

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 02:11 PM

Just like lots of other brands they produce products at an array of price points. With optics you get what you pay for. That being said I have two pair of binoculars and my at scope from vortex and had 0 issues with either. Look at a bunch of glass and pick what fits best for what you want and you will have few issues down the road.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Originally Posted by wkimble1

I have the vortex viper 3-9x40. The tunnel vision is what drives me nuts. Hard to find your target looking through it.

Turn it back to 3

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 04:04 PM

I have a bunch of them and now they are made 15 miles from me. Like them very much. I should say that I only own the Vipers. couldn't tell you about the rest.
Posted By: wyote

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 04:30 PM

I was told to get the scopes and binos that are made in Japan. The ones from China are not near as well made

I have a scope and binos from Japan and have no complaints what so ever
Posted By: EdP

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 05:00 PM

I have 3 of them, one Viper and two Diamondback HPs. On-line reviews of their Crossfire line are not very good but the Viper and Diamondback get good reviews. I also have a Leupold and it is clearly a better scope than the Vortex, but they are at different price points. If I could afford Leupold scopes on all my rifles, that is what I would do, but of the companies that make scopes in the Vortex price point, the Vortex is my preference. I like their reticle options and I like the side mounted parallax adjustment.

Jurassic is complaining about the field of view but you can compare the specs between scopes and make an informed decision. His scope (now discontinued) is 35.5-12.2ft @ 100 yds. It has a 1" tube and that isn't going to give the FoV of a 30mm. The Burris Fullfield 3-9x40, also a 1" tube, is 33-13ft @ 100 yds. That's not a difference you can discern looking through a scope. I believe these are very close in price point so I don't see that there is really any issue with his scope. It's just the consequence of using a scope set to the higher magnification level.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
I have 3 of them, one Viper and two Diamondback HPs. On-line reviews of their Crossfire line are not very good but the Viper and Diamondback get good reviews. I also have a Leupold and it is clearly a better scope than the Vortex, but they are at different price points. If I could afford Leupold scopes on all my rifles, that is what I would do, but of the companies that make scopes in the Vortex price point, the Vortex is my preference. I like their reticle options and I like the side mounted parallax adjustment.

Jurassic is complaining about the field of view but you can compare the specs between scopes and make an informed decision. His scope (now discontinued) is 35.5-12.2ft @ 100 yds. It has a 1" tube and that isn't going to give the FoV of a 30mm. The Burris Fullfield 3-9x40, also a 1" tube, is 33-13ft @ 100 yds. That's not a difference you can discern looking through a scope. I believe these are very close in price point so I don't see that there is really any issue with his scope. It's just the consequence of using a scope set to the higher magnification level.

Hummm That's a bummer, it's the one I was looking at for my varmint rifle. the Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope Dead-Hold BDC Reticle
Posted By: EdP

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 06:18 PM

They make the 6-24x50 w/BDC in the Viper line but the cost is x2.

I love their Dead-Hold BDC reticle and have it on all 3 of my Vortex scopes. You can find the MOA for each of the vertical hashes and make a dope card based on your load ballistics and your zero. The Vortex reticle is a rather fine line making it perfect for varmints at long distance and any application in good light. I prefer a thicker line for hunting big game in low light conditions, but it works perfectly on my antelope rifle.

Re: Vortex Scopes - 11/17/18 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Finster
Originally Posted by EdP

Hummm That's a bummer, it's the one I was looking at for my varmint rifle. the Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50mm AO Riflescope Dead-Hold BDC Reticle

The crossfire is the equivalent of a Leupold vx1
© 2024 Trapperman Forums