Home

Portable coffee maker?

Posted By: Andy27

Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:00 AM

Looking for a quick brewing, reliable coffee maker? Possibly 12v plug in style for vehicle, or battery operated? Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:02 AM

Me too!
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:40 AM

Makita makes a cordless coffee maker for thier lithium ion batteries.

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:47 AM

You would be better off with a camp stove, boiling pot and a French press than a 12v. They take about an hour to make a cup of luke warm coffee.

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Duckstick80
You would be better off with a camp stove, boiling pot and a French press than a 12v. They take about an hour to make a cup of luke warm coffee.

Thought about this, but with my job I travel a lot and am in my vehicle a lot.. was hoping for something I could heat up with either plug in 12v or battery operated..
Thanks
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 12:59 AM

12 volt coffee pot is a waste of money. you will need to run a heavier wire than your stock cigarette lighter plug also. if you put in a big enough fuse you will get it too hot. after you run a heavy enough wire and install a 40 amp inline fuse you will find out your coffeemaker sucks. hook up a converter to your battery. needs to be a big one. run a 110 pot off that. a percolator and this https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Powe...+PerfectFlow+1-Burner+Propane+Camp+Stove will work lots better
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 01:07 AM

As stated, no such thing as a quick 12v coffee maker. Do you drive a pickup? I've settled on a gas powered generator, as a quick coffeemaker uses 1000w. Enough battery will do the job with a converter but it's a lot of screwing around.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/19/18 01:07 AM

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Inver...amp;keywords=12+volt+converter&psc=1

this will run a coffee pot. don't use the alligator clips. connect direct to the battery. run the engine. the juice actually comes from your alternator.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 03:25 PM

I like brewed coffee, but just use instant at camp, its not as bad as you think, lol , trick is to get the spoonful right....better then no coffee
Posted By: squacks

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 03:33 PM

small back pack stove(Mine is a Peak brand with1 small burner and runs on Coleman fuel or kerosene) and a small percolator. I use coffee filters in mine. just poke a hole in the filter with the stem. Make REALLY HOT coffee. You won't need no stinking electric. lol.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 03:38 PM

A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a 12V style so I could have fresh hot coffee on the job site. It made individual 12 oz cups. It was a great idea but the thing was extremely under-powered. It took forever to brew a cup and wasn't nearly hot enough for my liking, more like luke-warm.
Posted By: Possum5-0

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 06:05 PM

X2 for the French press, simple and fast.

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 06:30 PM

I'm leaning more towards the French press.. The more I here about them, the better option I think it may be for me. Thanks
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 07:33 PM

French press and a little camp stove to boil water.
Can't beat the coffee they make.
Posted By: squacks

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 09:18 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Camp...p;sr=8-2&keywords=coleman+peak+stove
These are nice little back pack stoves that put out plenty of heat to boil water.

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 10:30 PM

Rig a plate heat exchanger to your heater hoses, the car runs at 195°f. As long as the insulated storage tank for the coffee water is higher than the heat exchanger and the tubing doesn't have any heat trap bends you will have hot water on demand while you drive laugh
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 10:35 PM

How about a power inverter and a Mr. Coffee? My new pickup has a 110V outlet in the dash. smile
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Possum5-0

X2 for the French press, simple and fast.
X3
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 11:29 PM

Another vote for the French Press. I'm also a big fan of freshly ground beans... For being off the shelf Dunkin Donuts Whole Bean makes a pretty darn good cup of Joe.

Mike

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/20/18 11:57 PM

I'm a fan of 8'clock whole bean. Spend some money on a real coffee grinder as well. I think the one I have was close to $200.00 but I never knew what good coffee was until I used it and got the grind size right. It's the smoothest coffee you can possibly make. Store bought ground coffee looks like powder compared to what I grind for my Bunn coffee maker.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/21/18 12:00 AM

I'm a fan of 8'clock whole bean. Spend some money on a real coffee grinder as well. I think the one I have was close to $200.00 but I never knew what good coffee was until I used it and got the grind size right. It's the smoothest coffee you can possibly make. Store bought ground coffee looks like powder compared to what I grind for my Bunn coffee maker.

8 o'clock is good stuff too.

Any recommendations on a good burr grinder?

Mike
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/21/18 04:14 AM

Cameron's Velvet Moon for the coffee.

for a portable coffee maker , I have a Stanley french press thermos that works ok. also a pour over makes a great cup of coffee.

https://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Coffee-Maker-Permanent-Filter/dp/B00T9OC0A6?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Clas...sr=8-5&keywords=coleman+french+press

how you heat the water is up to you.

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/21/18 02:15 PM

This is the grinder I have, I bought it three years ago and haven't had a problem. Looks like the price has come down some. I set it around #18 for my Bunn. 13-14 for a French press. If you use a French press stir the coffee after it blooms and keep a timer. 3-4 minutes is all it should take depending on grind size. Store bought ground coffee takes about 2 minutes. It gets really bitter if you leave it in too long.

[Linked Image]

Re: Portable coffee maker? - 11/21/18 02:31 PM

I also made a coffee roaster out of a air popper for popcorn. You just remove the temp sensor so it gets hotter and put a tin can for an extension over the top. Roasts a pots worth of coffee in about 8-10 min. I buy my green beans from Sweetmarias.com for $5-8 a pound. It would cost me about 30$ a pound to get coffee two days off the roaster so it saves me alot of money.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums