Home

duke coyote traps

Posted By: Rockfarmer

duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 05:01 PM

Would duke #2 4x4 square jaw work for coyote? or are they too small?
says it has 5.75 jaw spread.
any info would be appreciated.
Posted By: Siegs

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 05:29 PM

Many people around here swear by the Duke #2. Check your trapping regulations because you might need a offset, that is how it is here but i'm not sure in Missouri. I personally use MB-550 OS 2 coil. Amazing trap and have never missed a coyote on them. You get what you pay for.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 06:07 PM

Square #2 Dukes are ok. Nice in between (cost) are the Bridger #2 & 3's. I personally like the dogless version with offset jaws
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 06:16 PM

I have 3 - bridger offset #3's I started with. They have been working really well. Looking at buying 6-12 more traps. I appreciate the info. I Don't want to buy junk. primarily targeting coyotes and bobcats. and some big coons. lol
Posted By: Calvin

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 06:22 PM

I personally like the round jaws better than the square jaws. Nothing wrong with the dukes for coyotes ( and I run the 650s) No need to run the 4x4 unelss they are laminated, though...and actually I wouldn't. WAY too strong. For coyotes (and Dukes) I'd suggest the round jaw #3 instead.

I've used and liked the 1.75s if you have a jaw size restriction.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 06:41 PM

I took the helper springs off of mine as I found them too stout. They worked as good as the Bridgers I had as well.
Posted By: Sharpsman

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 07:23 PM

I started with the #2 square jaw Duke.They have a couple short comings.I switched to #3 dukes that I laminated,base plated,and switched out to welded chain and put 4 coils on.They worked excellent.That being said I had as much in them as a higher quality trap.I'm am currently running MB 650's and K9 extremes.I can't say enough good about the Extremes they are hands down the best trap out there.I still have the #3 dukes and would not hesitate to use them if needed.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 07:23 PM

I'm a #2 round jaw duke guy.
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 07:38 PM

I run Duke 1 3/4 and the Duke #2 round jaws.both sizes offset jaws and baseplated and I have absolutely no problems with them on the coyotes.the only issue is the time to tune all of them when new. I have tried alot of different traps over the last 43 years of trapping and I have other brands also but for the price of the Duke they work just fine.even caught a couple yotes in fox sets last year in Duke 1 1/2's baseplated and laminated with 1 3/4 springs in them and had no problems.bottom line,it's all in what you want and like my friend.good luck and have fun
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 10:28 PM

I'm not bad mouthing Duke,but if your looking to buy more steel I'd take a look at Wolf Creeks line and compare them.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 10:43 PM

I use Duke #3’s all the time they work for me
Posted By: The Beav

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 11:07 PM

I'm using the #2 Duke square jaws with the helper springs removed . Caught a bunch of coyotes In them and so far haven't had any pull outs. I'm not a advocate of center swiveling but so far the traps have preformed well.
Posted By: jk

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 11:14 PM

Duke #3 here!!!! No complaints, have been using them for five years now......jk
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/22/18 11:28 PM

U have a welder, so I modified the ones I have, including laminating the jaws. I like center servers traps and added a mg crunch mid chain

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 12:05 AM

Why laminate the jaws?

WE caught 12 coyotes last year and 6 this year for the CWD study they were either caught In #2 Dukes or # 3 Dukes. All had good feet. I just don't see jaw lamination as any kind of a benefit.
Take a file or Dremel tool and remove the sharp edges on the factory jaws and you will be good to go.
I can tell you what traps not to use If you plan on releasing any critter.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 01:47 AM

I've used
Victor #2
MB550
Duke #2 square jaw
Duke #3
Duke #4
Bridger #2 dogless
And tying extreme juniors a coils this season
If I was being budget constrained and was not going to modify traps I would go with the Bridgers
If you willing to spend more you can't go wrong with the MB550
So far the canine extreme juniors have hit 3 coyotes this season happy with the results but I think they have some issues I'm trying to work on still (not going to complain yet as I just need to run them longer and see how winter goes)

If I had to use only one of the traps I've listed, at this poiit would be the MBs but I would four coil them
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 11:23 AM

I have used duke 3 for a while now and like beav. said no need to mod. them they catch an hold everything ,an duke traps co. has done a lot for trapper's
Posted By: jabNE

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 11:41 AM

I've got a few dukes and like using them in certain locations for coyotes. They are not very expensive and get the job done, but I do save my more top end coyotes traps for more secure ground and I use the dukes where I think I may encounter traffic from other area use folks.
I do trust the dukes and they hold coyotes. I've got 2s round jaw and some 3s.
But a loss doesn't sting as much over a stolen one as I would my modified bridgers or Monty's.
Jim
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Why laminate the jaws?

I buy cast or laminated because I stick my hand in my traps to see what the critter feels. Laminated is far more comfy to me. Just sayin.
eek

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 03:31 PM

What ever trips your trigger.
But do to a lack of circulation an animals foot loses all feeling with In minutes. And comparing our hand to a animals foot Is a bit of a stretch.
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 05:00 PM

I agree with Beav on his last reply. BUT- I like cast or offset/laminated jaws just because they look more friendly to some landowners.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 06:40 PM

That I can relate too.
Posted By: #furdaddy

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 07:45 PM

Beav,

What do you recommend not to use if you plan to release an animal?
Posted By: jk

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/23/18 09:44 PM

Trapper Dahlgren I agree with you. All my big leg holds are duke #3 now.........jk
Posted By: Taximan

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 02:13 AM

I have and use some Duke #3's and after some work,the are a functional coyote trap.I say it a lot but I always knock the sharp edges off all factory jaws and did this with the Dukes.In spite off this,I get more foot damage from them,on coyotes and foxes than any trap I own .They need laminated.I like them for their ease of setting and light,physical weight but the damage is a bit too much.They need laminated.Keep in mind,we aren't on 24 hr checks but there is a noticeable difference in damage between these and the other two types of coyote traps I use,which are either cast or laminated with much thicker jaw contact surfaces.

They need laminated.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 05:40 AM

I would never set a trap that isn't laminated, there are times the shale is still between the fur and jaw, when trap is opened you can still see the fur lines in the powdery shale packed onto the inside of the jaw.
That means there was no movement inside the jaws, that's a good thing.
I prefer 1/4" round rod lamination, it helps strengthen the jaws a lot, less damage if run over, I was just told of a #2 Duke that popped it's jaw off on a coyote catch, never seen that with a laminated bridger

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 03:04 PM

I wonder how many millions of just coyotes were caught before trappers even heard of the word LAMINATION.
And of coarse outside lamination really doesn't do much . It's Inside lamination that lessens foot damage.
Posted By: Hal

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 03:19 PM

I wonder how many millions of just coyotes were caught before trappers even heard of the word LAMINATION.

smile smile

And now the DNR's have got wind of it too. I have laminated traps for jurisdictions that mandate a certain jaw thickness.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 04:41 PM

An improvement is an improvement even if it take 100 years before the improvement is made

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 04:56 PM

Laminations and cast jaws spread out the force of the initial blow from the jaws making contact but that's where It ends.
A regular jaw that has had the sharp edges rounded off Is just as foot friendly.

But I'm betting there are more un laminated traps In the ground or water then there are laminated traps.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
An improvement is an improvement even if it take 100 years before the improvement is made

Okay. Cite me one, just one, documented scientifically conduced study that shows laminated jaws out perform regular jaws -- just one.

Please no anecdotal.

Perception is not proof.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 05:56 PM

Get em Hal.
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

Okay. Cite me one, just one, documented scientifically conduced study that shows laminated jaws out perform regular jaws -- just one.

Please no anecdotal.

Perception is not proof.

If i was at the house I could break out the big binder I have but one of the ones that st of out was the red wig study done by TT Turn by and associates was ment for red wolves but has stuff on coyote as well. These are screen shots from the abstract. The whole thing is close to 200 pages if I Renner correctly ( I may be over shooting it but is a lot of reading).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Folks will cherry pick but it's there in black and white lams out preformed standard. Not by much but still did better. Honestly teeth out preformed all. I gotta locker full of books that cite studies on these subjects,recon I'll do some digging later , just trying to be unbiased as possible

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:15 PM

I went through this same B.S. with Ohio State Trappers. The could cite no scientific evidence for improved performance with laminated jaws. Yet, they included it as part of our trapping regulations.

It's nothing but a "feel good" measure.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:16 PM

Thanks, but I can't read that.

Do you have a link to that document?

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
. Honestly teeth out preformed all.

I did know that.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:21 PM

Half try reading this, can't do links from my phone
An evaluation of laminated offset jaw traps for reducing injuries to coyote.
Published Dec 93
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

Please no anecdotal.

Perception is not proof.

cite one scientific study that shows that base plating, 4 coilinging, swivels, straight link chain, wider jaw spread, or steel v aluminum improve a trap. No anecdotal or common sense, verified scientific studies only.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:25 PM

Found it

https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2011/1190/

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
Thanks, but I can't read that.

Do you have a link to that document?

Try this

https://www.google.com.kw/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2011/1190/appendix.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjx5IiLzO3eAhVOXBoKHXS3COQQFjAMegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw3WVrAAGzu84QxHngz7nqVR

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

The one I'm talking about was from 93 done in Mississippi

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:35 PM

Here's the main jist of the coon or part without the charts.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by wetdog
Half try reading this, can't do links from my phone
An evaluation of laminated offset jaw traps for reducing injuries to coyote.
Published Dec 93

Found that one too:

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1339&context=gpwdcwp

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hal

The one I'm talking about was from 93 done in Mississippi

I scanned that one quickly. I don't see where regular jaw traps were tested for comparison. Maybe I missed something.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 06:58 PM

It's there the proof you're looking for
Just read it

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:03 PM

The wolf study does show this

[Linked Image]

That's the one I asked for. Thank you.

Any others

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:05 PM

It's there the proof you're looking for
Just read it

I did "just read it". Please cite me this proof. Please show me where regular jaw traps were tested in the mix.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:14 PM

Read the conclusions it states it in black and white
And there are more study's out there.
Some people just need to come out of their way of thinking and open their minds that their way is not the only way
Lot of that on here

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:20 PM

Come on. All your're doing is instructing me to read.

How about you put in some effort.
Posted By: hippie

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:24 PM

You'll not sell me any laminated traps. Just a gimmic to make someone feel good.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:24 PM

Then you will have to wait till I get home, spending the day with the grandsons

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
You'll not sell me any laminated traps. Just a gimmic to make someone feel good.

Or to conform to regulation.

I've got a bunch of them.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 07:37 PM

Then you will have to wait till I get home, spending the day with the grandsons

Fair enough.
Posted By: yote65Ga

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 08:55 PM

What I never understood about laminations on trap jaws is how they are added. By that I mean they are welded directly on top of the jaw edge in a flat plane. When you have a paw in the jaws they are spread apart and thus at an angle to each other and not "flush" as they are when closed with no paw in them. So, in reality you have the inner most part of the jaw/lamination administering more force on the leg/paw at that point of contact. So how does this lamination done in this manner help with foot comfort? To me the most important factor is the strength of the trap springs keeping the part of the foot/leg in the jaws from moving and thus cutting/damaging the animals.

You will also have different results on foot injury depending where the catch is made within the jaws. Center as apposed to outer edges. This would also change depending on round or more square jawed traps.

As for the Duke #2 square jaw traps, I bought some and they will catch coyotes and cats no problem. The trash gap issue may effect you more or less depending on what soil types you trap in.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 09:24 PM

A wild animal doesn't know what damage is.

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 09:35 PM

And after a minute or so the foot has lost all feeling so It's a mote point.
Posted By: yote65Ga

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 09:41 PM

And after a minute or so the foot has lost all feeling so It's a mote point.

I agree

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
Come on. All your're doing is instructing me to read.

How about you put in some effort.

I'm trying to get the part you want to see posted, but it will not let me do it
Just read discussion and conclusion
By the way, I thought writers like to read as well.
And I came home to no power go figure
I personally don't want any foot damage, I skin good fur taxi style. It pays better than fur market.
And rudder jaws have got me access to land that has not been trapped in years.
People are funny how they look at trapping. So I just try to explain to people how traps and trapping have moved forward with BMP. Remember our image is our future
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
Would duke #2 4x4 square jaw work for coyote? or are they too small?
says it has 5.75 jaw spread.
any info would be appreciated.

A Duke #2 will hold any fox, bobcat, or coyote that steps in them!

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/24/18 11:31 PM

Now were back to the answer to the question.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/25/18 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin
I personally like the round jaws better than the square jaws.

laugh Me too!!!
Posted By: The hammer

Re: duke coyote traps - 11/25/18 01:45 PM

Duke number 2s will hold any coyote or cat just fine. If you are already using Bridgers with good results stick with them. If trying to find a cheaper trap then try out them dukes they will give you good results. Lots of brands and styles out there. I was a big mb 550 guy myself then started using just about every brand number 2 and 3s out there all work and hold coyotes. To each there own.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums