Home

HELP! Tree identification

Posted By: Gulo

HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 04:59 PM

This is a piece of a tree supposedly from Indiana. I don't know eastern hardwoods at all. Anybody out there give me a hand on this one. It been sitting in a chicken coop in Idaho for at least 60 years, probably much longer. The chunk pictured is about 12" long.

In advance, many thanks...

Jack

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:03 PM

looks similar to some of our young hickory
Posted By: Northof50

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:06 PM

The bark looks butternut....and the stain in the heartwood has that look ( the brown pith)
Also known as "poor mans walnut" but it is really nice for carving but not as soft as basswood.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:09 PM

I can only imagine what interesting creative use you will think of ... cool
Posted By: ljo

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:14 PM

The bark looks like a Bitternut Hickory ( pig hickory )
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:16 PM

It looks like a young pig nut hickory or mocker nut hickorty. If I'm correct, the wood will be very hard.
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:23 PM

Hickory
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:29 PM

I'm thinking pig nut or young hickory, not sure if worms like the pig nut or not but they like to make meal out of the hickory. Even after the worms have at it will still be like steel , if you cut it in the dark esp. the bark the sparks will fly.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:47 PM

Many thanks guys. After your suggestions (sorry the photo isn't better) I googled several hardwoods for images of the bark. Closest match I can come up with is young shagbark hickory. I made a few scales for knife handles and found it to be hard, but nothing like the mountain mahogany I'm using now. Instead, will probably use it for axe/hatchet/hammer handles. I imagine not a big deal for you guys elsewhere, but finding hardwood in eastern Idaho at over 5,000' elevation is like finding a top-lot elephant pelt.

Again, many thanks...

Jack
Posted By: CT Trapperman

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:50 PM

Mockernut Hickory Or Pignut Hickory
Posted By: white17

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 05:59 PM

Hasn't grown much in 60 years
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 06:10 PM

Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. I bet it will be very pretty. smile
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 06:13 PM

I don't see any apples on it so I'd rule out apple tree.
Posted By: Pirogue

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 06:23 PM

Not a shagbark....bark looks more like tulip poplar to me.

P
Posted By: MikeC

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 06:26 PM

I'm gonna say shagbark. The grain and color of the wood makes me think that. A piece that small would have that look, it could be an upper limb also. Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 07:20 PM

Fire wood.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 07:35 PM

I'm guessing tulip poplar also.

Doesn't look like hickory bark at all, to me.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 07:52 PM

Some young shagbarks look like that, and others are completely smooth. Tulip poplars also look similar. I don't think there's any way to ID it based on that pic alone.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Some young shagbarks look like that, and others are completely smooth. Tulip poplars also look similar. I don't think there's any way to ID it based on that pic alone.

Dried for 60 years poplar would be very light compared to hickory.
Posted By: squacks

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 09:46 PM

I don't think it's shagbark unless it is pretty small in diameter. They are smooth in its early stages but starts getting that shaggy bark before it gets very big in diameter. I have a bunch here in the yard at all stages. The shaggy bark is good to add into the charcoal for smokey BBQ.
It's possible that it is one of the other hickory mentioned, bitternut or mockernut.
How about Osage? That was grown lots of places for fence post and good ones at that.
I suppose either could have been kept around for making tool handles.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 10:27 PM

Another use for a hard wood out there might have been in barn construction where they used a hardwood peg to hold mortise and tenon joints.
Posted By: Pelts

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 10:46 PM

It sure looks like Shagbark Hickory.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 11:27 PM

Again, many thanks for the help, guys. Once I pick out a few choice pieces and make a knife, I'll try to remember to post a follow-up photo. I'm still leaning toward hickory, but not sure which species precisely. Krispy, you can bet that with the lack of hardwood in this country, it ain't goin' in the woodstove. Ebsurveyor, although the bark looks similar, I suspect that osage would be a bit more orange in the heart/pulp wood. It's relatively heavy wood, even after 60-70 years at 10-15% humidity, so I'm thinking not poplar. As I said earlier, I'm thinking that most of the chunk will be saved as handles for various implements rather than knife scales.

Anyway, many thanks...

Jack

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 11:29 PM

Good chose for tool handles but that brown stain will be a weak area. Are there any "dry post beetle" holes in that 60 year wood. The holes are 1/8 inch in diameter and the larvae travel 1-2 inches deep. Decorative carvers really like those to incoropate in duck/shorebird decoys.
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 11:33 PM

I agree. I looks like pignuut hickory to me.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/06/18 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Many thanks guys. After your suggestions (sorry the photo isn't better) I googled several hardwoods for images of the bark. Closest match I can come up with is young shagbark hickory. I made a few scales for knife handles and found it to be hard, but nothing like the mountain mahogany I'm using now. Instead, will probably use it for axe/hatchet/hammer handles. I imagine not a big deal for you guys elsewhere, but finding hardwood in eastern Idaho at over 5,000' elevation is like finding a top-lot elephant pelt.

Again, many thanks...

Jack

What specie is the tree referred to as Mountain mahogany? I have heard people refer to our black(sweet) birch as Mountain mahogany. It's pretty hard, but not nearly as hard as our hickories.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 12:14 AM

gryhkl,
Cercocarpus ledifolius is mountain mahogany. After desert ironwood, its the hardest wood in North America. It'll bend or chip half-moons out of a double-bitted axe, dull a chainsaw in seconds, and burn right through the bottom of your wood-stove. Great stuff, as long as you have a hacksaw and plenty of extra blades. Makes hickory look like marshmallows.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 12:21 AM

Not Osage Orange/Hedge. My first thought before I read all of these was green ash.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 12:42 AM

Turkey Time. Boy-Howdy! You may have it there. The bark looks pretty close. However, green ash is supposed to grow real fast, so would probably be fairly soft and lightweight. The wood on this chunk is heavy and its been drying for half a century. Could it still be green ash?

Jack

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 01:04 AM

gryhkl,
Cercocarpus ledifolius is mountain mahogany. After desert ironwood, its the hardest wood in North America. It'll bend or chip half-moons out of a double-bitted axe, dull a chainsaw in seconds, and burn right through the bottom of your wood-stove. Great stuff, as long as you have a hacksaw and plenty of extra blades. Makes hickory look like marshmallows.

Thanks, Gulo.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 01:05 AM

Not a shagbark hickory, but it is Hickory..
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 01:16 AM

Burn a small slice and smell the smoke. You will know if it's a type of hickory.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 02:55 AM

Ash is heavy but you are correct that it grows fast. Good conditions and growth rings will be larger but hickory will grow fast as well.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 03:04 AM

gryhkl,

I'll take 10 cords postpaid !

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 03:09 AM

gryhkl,

I am familiar with mountain mahogany! Western fence lizards, Sceloporus occidentalis) prefer this to all other species !! Specius preferencis !
Posted By: cathryn

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 03:18 AM

I ain't sure what it is but I know it aint a shagbark hickory
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 03:40 AM

elm
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 12:46 PM

River elm !!!

Try driving a nail in it it it bends then we can say hickory. If it has set that long no way to drive a nail without pilot hole.
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 01:19 PM

It is hickory I have cut them by the thousands. Good for handles if not damaged
Posted By: tjm

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by WHSKR
It is hickory I have cut them by the thousands. Good for handles if not damaged

x2
Mountain Mahogany is good handle too, I have a trim hammer that I put one in ~1964 and it is still as new, used broken bottles to shape it.
Posted By: SwoleTrapper

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 04:11 PM

I figured I would share this because it has a good identification guide in it for leaves and bark separately. All color photos with really detailed descriptions, was only like $15. Im learning trees because I have never been good at it. This has let my son and I ID every native species out here on the East Coast without any doubts. It also has a lot more info about the tress, but the ID guide with color photos of all the different parts makes it really useful. Its small too.

[Linked Image]

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by white17
gryhkl,

I'll take 10 cords postpaid !

I'll start mailing you some, but all I have are some old one cent stamps, so you will pay the remainer?
Oh wait! Canada post is still back-logged from their strike so it may take awhile,
I have a 3 foot diameter log in my backyard to mill soon.
Posted By: Hunter23

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 08:25 PM

Its not shagbark. its white hickory
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 08:28 PM

I guess not everyone knows what the bark of a young shagbark looks like.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jackrock

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 10:31 PM

Hickory. The saw marks look like a band saw and I would assume cut on a woodmizer, but that doesn’t really fit with the 60 yrs.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 11:06 PM

I don't think you are the first guy to get a great piece of ash in a chicken coop. grin

Moosetrot
Posted By: MikeC

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/07/18 11:25 PM

Cut and burned hickory my whole life, it's most likely shagbark. The color and grain say shagbark, don't look anything like mockernut, pig or white hickory. I have put a lot of identical pieces to that in the stove over the years. Mike

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/08/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I don't think you are the first guy to get a great piece of ash in a chicken coop. grin

Moosetrot

Thanks to all for the valued input. However, nobody made me squirt half my evening toddie out my nose like Moosetrot. Still laughing, man!

jackrock. That little piece of hickory was sectioned on my shop bandsaw. WoodMizer is pickled and put away for the winter.

M.Magis. At this point, I'm still going with young shagbark hickory. I believe you're right after looking through several books and spending a bit of time on the internet. Built a book of scales with it, and built up a knife today from it. Not too impressive on the curlicues and color of the wood, but plenty hard. Will try to finish the knife and post a picture tomorrow.

Swole. I actually have that book and went through it. Still coming up with shagbark hickory. Thanks for the reminder.

Once again, guys, much appreciate the feedback and setting me on the right course. I really like playing with different types of hardwood.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/08/18 02:29 AM

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=lysLXKXNKubojwSCz6g4&q=young+shagbark+hickory+tree&oq=young+shagbark+hickory&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24.51541.53082..55657...0.0..0.279.607.5j0j1......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i7i30.NHeN8-iAC_8#imgrc=8suV-qbUrddtMM:
As mentioned before, the tree is smooth at its start but it sheds the bark to get bigger. I have some here and at 6" dia. they already show the scales. Paste the address in a search box to find lots o hickories.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/09/18 04:27 PM

I ain't no expert, but I have been doing a bit of research to try to identify all the tree service wood that I get for free. For what it is worth, these are my observations:

The bark pattern and color are consistent with hickory.

The wood grain is consistent with hickory.

All hickory is supposed to have a five sided or star shaped pith section running through the middle. That, I don't see in the photo, I see some the right color, but, not the right shape. Check your cross sections to verify.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/09/18 06:25 PM

Looks like yellow bud hickory to me! What I typically
Burn with, lots of hands on experience with that type of
Wood. I would about put money on it

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/09/18 08:02 PM

Okay. Got a skinner (not a pelter) made from the hickory. In the photo, bottom is a knife with scales from Mountain Mahogany. Middle knife is scales from the hickory that is pictured at the top of this thread. Top one is American Black Walnut. The hickory and the walnut seemed to be about the same hardness. The mountain mahogany is much harder than either of the others.
[Linked Image]

Jack
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/09/18 08:21 PM

Nice lookin knives ya got there

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 12:51 AM

I've worked with hickory and black walnut pretty often and hickory is quite a bit harder than the walnut.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 02:16 AM

Gulo-When you are working with the Black Walnut I would suggest at least a good dust mask or respirator. Walnut is a wood that can cause some allergic reactions including respiratory problems. You may have already known that but figured I might drop it in as a reminder, just in case.

Nice work on those knives!

Moosetrot

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 12:02 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Moosetrot. I've been reasonably good about putting on a cheapo dusk mask. Maybe look into something a bit better? Working around my sawmill periodically I've found that I get into sneezing fits with lodgepole pine dust. Seems I've developed an allergy to that over the years.

Thanks...

Jack

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 12:12 PM

gryhkl. Yes, I'll go with that. The hickory is quite a bit harder than the walnut. However, both are akin to warm butter in comparison to the mountain mahogany. Trying some 150-year-old apple now, and am surprised at how soft it is in comparison. Beautiful colors, but perhaps too soft for this application.

NE Wildlife. Thanks. Been a fun diversion for a couple of weeks.

T-Rex. Yes. Thank you. Looking in cross-section, the star-shaped pith segment is obvious. I'd not seen that identification hint anywhere else. Thanks.
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 12:18 PM

Sick-a-more dust gives me the most fits.

I brought in two loads of firewood that looks just like that. The tree was not small or young. We call it smooth bark hickory. But I know nuttink lol.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 01:54 PM

Is the MT mahogany avialable commercially? I found some 3/4x3/4x5" pen blanks and some end pieces online. I would expect, because of the way the tree grows, that there are few large pieces.

From my reading it sounds like an interesting wood.

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 03:47 PM

gryhkl. I've never seen mountain mahogany commercially available. The problem I'm having is that it is riddled with bug galleries, and a real pain to find sections big enough for knife scales that don't have bug holes. Seems that the root wads, however, have the best color and are largely bug gallery-free. 6-inch diameter is about as big as it gets in my country, but I've heard of monster-sized trees in northern California in the Sierra's. What are you looking to do with it?

Re: HELP! Tree identification - 12/10/18 04:30 PM

I use small pieces of wood that has good color and figured grain to make jewelery for my wife. Some hard woods are so close grained that they can be polished to a shine with little more than super fine abarasive paper and a little wax.
If interesting pieces are big enough I sometimes resaw and bookmatch them for the top of small boxes and use the cut offs for small pendants or earrings.

My interest in the Mt mahogany is mainly because of it's hardness and the fact that I never heard of it before-let alone tried to work it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums