Home

Interesting deer processing

Posted By: Finster

Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 07:09 PM

Seems like a pretty good way to do it. However, I pick at them more and get the brisket and rib meat. Pretty cool though.

Posted By: Matt28

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 07:40 PM

That's the way I been doing it for awhile.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 07:50 PM

I just clicked through without listening to everything. What's the purpose? Other than gut shot deer, I want them out so I can get the heart and tenderloin. I can't think of any downside to gutting a deer.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 07:56 PM

That wastes too much for my way of thinking. He left the neck and brisket, plus took nothing off of or between the ribs. What good is it to save a few minutes and lose 25-30% of the meat in the process?
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 08:10 PM

agreed^^^^^

Second, i dont have time to wait to get it up with guts and all to wait another couple hours to cool it down.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 08:26 PM

LOL we had this debate last year. One big problem is that it's a lot harder to drag with the guts still in them !!!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 08:27 PM

Deboning is just the beginning to processing a deer!!!!
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 08:43 PM

I have been gutless processing a while. It is very convenient for me.

I do, however, like the heart, brisket, etc, and make good use of all meat areas I can save.

In the field, if I don't drag them in to hang up, lay them on the side right on the ground, I unzip them from the back-a cut at the poll between the ears, right on down the back to tail, and peel them like a binkie, doing one side, turning it over and then the other side. The meat doesn't touch ground.

To access tenderloins, reach in from on top of the spine to underneath, will feel them and start a cut to take out. Patrice posted a video that shows just how herself and I like to do that.

I do like that saws-all .

Very similar to handling big game such as elk and moose.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 08:55 PM

Don't like the water on the meat...
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 09:05 PM

Sharon knows how to do it. I ain't killed a deer in 5 yrs but thats the way I do it. The only extra thing I do I when I get everything off then I cut one whole side of the rib cage off with hatchet or machete and leaves all the guts exposed and I get the heart and catfish out. Easily remove all guts then part up carcass for dogfood. Not messing around them guts and breathing that gas is a plus esp. if I plan on sleeping in same bed as wife, lol.
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 09:20 PM

I want the guts out as soon as its dead. I think the meat tastes better if you cool the cavity right away.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 09:32 PM

We field dress and always skin and bone ours ours out when we get it hung up at home. We cut the legs and head off with a pair of loppers. From the time we hang it up and have the boned out meat in a cooler takes 15 to 30 minutes depending on how much BSing we do.
I take no meat from the ribbs, but the neck roast is one of the very best parts of the deer. We always keep ours.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 09:44 PM

Gut, hang and use the golf ball method to pull the hide off with little hair on the meat. Then separate front and rear quarters, boneout ; take back straps, "poison glands" (tenderloins) and bone out neck/carcuss. Hind lower leg hocks make a great roast, bone in
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 10:09 PM

I didn’t see anything wrong with that. Other than I would have utilized the neck meat.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 11:17 PM

Seems a little wasteful to me. This is what's left when I'm done processing, the clean bones from two deer:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 11:36 PM

The one true statement in that video is, everybody, everywhere do it differently. lol
Posted By: adam m

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/06/18 11:58 PM

I agree lots of good meat and bones wasted.
I'm like Sharon and do it all in the field.
The only thing I don't waste is the guts and sometimes the brains. Everything else is cooked or used in one way or another. The bones and spine make great stews and stock.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:10 AM

What, nobody takes the back straps out and calls it good?
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Back straps and Hams, the rest is bait...
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by grumley701
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Back straps and Hams, the rest is bait...

Lots of guys do it that way here too.

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:54 AM

I like sausage and sticks so I use it all
Posted By: ejgartland

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:58 AM

If the guy knew how to process the right way he wouldnt need.a saw zaw. all joints pop right apart with a swipe of the knife and the hide is worthless the way he skins it. Just a waste of an animal with all he is leaving on the carcass he left at least 10# of good meat on it

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 12:59 AM

LEM makes/sells some great seasonings for sticks, summer sausage and fresh sausages, making it real easy to use the trim
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:01 AM

Just because "HE" does it that way doesn't mean we all do. I haven't gutted an elk or deer in years, all that's left when I'm done is the meat between the ribs, (got to give a little back)
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:03 AM

For me

Deer always gut

Elk no gut

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:11 AM

Last moose i quartered i used the no gut method, in part due to having so many griz around. Gutted caribou as they blout so quick. No gut doesn't mean you don't take the tenderloin

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by ejgartland
If the guy knew how to process the right way he wouldnt need.a saw zaw. all joints pop right apart with a swipe of the knife

You don't need a saw for the joints.

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
Last moose i quartered i used the no gut method, in part due to having so many griz around. Gutted caribou as they blout so quick. No gut doesn't mean you don't take the tenderloin

You can reach in from the top and remove the t-loin. they sit outside of the paunch.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: white17

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 02:05 AM

Pretty handy. You can put an entire white tail in a gallon ziplock and throw a lot of the good parts away !
Posted By: charles

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 02:35 AM

We are never far from the skinning shed so we dont field dress first.

I like to use a hook and cut the hide down the belly and also down the back. That way I only have to skin half a deer at a time. Much easier to skin that way

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 03:09 AM

Guys: you can't compare a moose or even an elk to a deer. You quarter a moose or elk as noted due to size. It took two of us to move one hind quarter away from the kill site to hopefully avoid discovery by a grizzly. It is nothing compared to deer

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 03:46 AM

Moose are big and a lot of work even when you can back up to them
[Linked Image]
Posted By: snowy

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon

I do, however, like the heart, brisket, etc, and make good use of all meat areas I can save.

In the field, if I don't drag them in to hang up, lay them on the side right on the ground, I unzip them from the back-a cut at the poll between the ears, right on down the back to tail, and peel them like a binkie, doing one side, turning it over and then the other side. The meat doesn't touch ground.

To access tenderloins, reach in from on top of the spine to underneath, will feel them and start a cut to take out. Patrice posted a video that shows just how herself and I like to do that.

Yep, in the field like Sharon illustrated, is all I have done forever. I haven't gutted or dragged a big game animal 35 plus years.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 04:46 AM

Wanton Waste Laws. My Grandfather ate apples one winter as a teenager as he was so poor. I see these hunters now breasting out geese and throwing away the rest of the meat. If I did anything that wasted any food, I would have had my gun taken away as a kid and never be allowed to ever hunt again. There used to be wanton waste laws which forbid what is now a modern laziness of just taking the breasts or loins out of game.
I remember reading Teddy Roosevelt talking about the same thing when he first started hunting in the West. Then it was tongues, humps and hams. By the time he was done at the Elkhorn Ranch, he ate everything as meat was hard to come by.
People get hungry again they will understand why the Indian ate the innards first as animals do, as that is where the nutrients are. I am from a different tribe than this modern one.
Posted By: scalloper

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 04:51 AM

I actually love ribs on any animal deer,moose,bear and hogs if they are not shot up.
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 05:05 AM

Dan Schmidt....the guy that single handedly ruined that magazine.
Posted By: white17

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Originally Posted by Sharon

Yep, in the field like Sharon illustrated, is all I have done forever. I haven't gutted or dragged a big game animal 35 plus years.

Dontcha hate that zipper between their ears ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really hard on my knife !!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by scalloper
I actually love ribs on any animal deer,moose,bear and hogs if they are not shot up.

I eat the ribs. Up here it is common to see the backstraps cut out, hams taken, and maybe the shoulders, but the neck wasted, and sometimes the shoulders.

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 11:07 AM

I use the ribs for scrapple.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 11:31 AM

thanks for sharing
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:09 PM

Bet I could get over 10 lbs of grinds off what he threw away.I don't like wasting meat like that.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Bet I could get over 10 lbs of grinds off what he threw away.I don't like wasting meat like that.

Yup, I think most on here, myself included, feel this is a lot of waste. One thing I'm assuming is that this is a fancy hunting farm. Probably rich city "hunters" paying $7500+ to shoot some "trophy" and have a little meat to show at dinner parties. Unlike most of us, they could care less about the useable scraps. Granted this was a doe but probably shot for herd control I would imagine.
Posted By: gcs

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 01:53 PM

I use a similar system, find a tree, hang em, skin em, bone em, no gutting, whole process takes me 20 30 minutes, you can take off anything you want, including the organs and tenderloins, put parts in game bags toss in your pack and walk them to camp. Sometimes Ill do them on the ground with Sharons method.
Take what you like from the video and make your own decisions on what you want, and what you leave for the coyotes.
Posted By: billy

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 03:26 PM

ya I will agree that is a lot of meat left to harvest, I have seen some of the same.some don't know any better,others just want best of cuts. I was taught to take all,if I came home without the neck grandma would want to know why.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 05:53 PM

Where I run stuff is hungry. This moose was less than a week dead. FWIW guts last about three days.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 06:28 PM

I still have't seen the point of not gutting a deer, except for those that need to pack out their meat. In that scenario it makes sense. But beyond that, it literally takes 2 minutes.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 06:39 PM

Where I hunt here in the mountains of east Tennessee it's usually a couple hours drag so we always gut them in the field, but if I'm hunting in a place where I can pick them up in the truck without much of a drag I have done it this way. It's not hard to get the tenderloins with guts in. You just cut where the stomach meets between back legs and gravity will pull guts down enough to reach in and get them, but I prefer to field dress
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Interesting deer processing - 12/07/18 06:45 PM

That's dedication to go that deep into the woods for a southern goat...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums