Home

Long line beaver trapping

Posted By: forester79

Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 12:13 AM

60 miles on the truck and 16 traps checked. 12 beave lr and nla notebto self not to do this again.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 12:20 AM

Nice job! My back is sore just looking at the picture!
Posted By: bbasher

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 01:08 AM

Cool! How much ice are you dealing with?
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 01:10 AM

That’s a lot of ice chopping ...Nice Haul !.....did you remake the sets...lol
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 01:13 AM

I love catching them. The put up is the work...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 02:04 AM

Nice haul.Not bad dealing with beaver this time of year-you can stack them in the shed like cordwood and take a few out every couple days to thaw and put up.

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 02:34 AM

4 inches in the runs on a 3 day check. All bank dens.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 04:18 AM

Dang I'm jealous in a sense and in another sense I really hate having to see the chiro more often than needed.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 10:24 AM

great job forester 79 ice is to thin here still hopefully next week smile
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 10:38 AM

Looks like some nice tails for the Beaver Tail Contest!
Normally my the darker colors come from Northern Wisconsin and more red in the southern part of the state- quite a contrast in 60 miles.
A lot of hardwork
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 11:07 AM

Yeah there are a couple contenders in there!

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 12:03 PM

Same run produced a true black beaver on Wednesday. We don't seem to get very wide tails around here. Even a 60 lb is lucky to go 7 inches. That run has produced 17 beaver in the last week.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 04:46 PM

You're either taking some really good vitamins or you are one motivated dude...

I have considered "longlining" for beaver. But I figured a similar outcome would be the result... And working 60 hours a week on top of it would likely send me to my grave.

I think a fellow would make as much or more from castor as he would fur though.

Nice haul.

Mike
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 05:51 PM

Some people pay to go to the gym, this is more fun!!
Posted By: Mac

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 06:07 PM

Nice job. I have done a lot of hard physical labor in my day and I do not think theres is any harder job than beaver trapping. Even more so when under ice.
Thanks for sharing.
Mac

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 06:53 PM

Thanks. I got the dumb idea to set a 100 beaver goal this season. Have to do a good cout but I think I'm getting close to 60 already.
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 07:39 PM

Great haul!

All 330s or some footholds too?

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/09/18 07:52 PM

All 330s under ice in bank den runs

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/12/18 05:58 PM

Some picks from today. Small run for size. 2 decent 6 total [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: John Deere Steve

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/12/18 09:20 PM

Great job forester! I too am looking to catch a 100 but your ahead of me. Probably more money in caster than fur but they sure are fun to catch aren't they!? Keep up the good work. At least we don't have much snow or ice to contend with yet. And with the down market I have guys practically begging me to trap them. And there is no shortage around here! Looks like the same for your area. Good luck with your goal!
Posted By: deerfly

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/13/18 02:50 AM

Awesome catch! Nice on the line pictures too!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/13/18 02:56 AM

6 a day is just about right.Nice haul.
Posted By: thebeaverguy

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/13/18 04:13 AM

Awesome pictures. This would be a great year to make yourself some fur garments. I just had an otter jacket made, it's warm and comfortable, let me tell you. I think that the next item will be a beaver blanket. You're already half way there.

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/13/18 11:35 AM

Figured I would take some pictures as it was fairly warm out. Been kinda thinking about having a vest made for the heck of it.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 12/13/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Nice haul.Not bad dealing with beaver this time of year-you can stack them in the shed like cordwood and take a few out every couple days to thaw and put up.

Sort of a "walk out" freezer situation, eh Boco. Must be nice.

Two questions come to mind:

1) How do you keep mice and other varmints from chewing on your beaver?

2) On the average, about when do you have to have this stockpile of frozen beaver put up before thawing occurs?

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 12:03 PM

Got to my goal of 100 this season Saturday. Time to quite now and home for an early ice out for spring trapping.
Two feet of snow we got is opening runs up and making slush.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 12:22 PM

This thread looks like what only a trapper .would call fun . It also shows what a service trappers provide often for free to the general public . It would love to spend even a few days doing what you guys did catching that kind of numbers .Great post
Posted By: Goonie

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 12:22 PM

Great haul.
Posted By: keets

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 12:38 PM

great job...we snowshoed in to one yesterday, 16" of ice under all that snow. what a workout! definitely a labor of love
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 01:46 PM

Good Job, nice runs
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 01:52 PM

Darn fun work right there. Something about trapping beavers that makes me happy.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 01:58 PM

Way to go man.

Now I know where to find a beaver trapper to go south On a real long lining journey. No ice and I'll do all the skinning. LOL

Great job got to love trapping beaver. Actually the put up Is the easy part.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/18/19 02:07 PM

Nuts , you all got to be nuts , lol ! Can’t wait till the thaw so I can join the madness!

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 01:52 PM

I actually enjoy putting up beaver. Something kinda relaxing about it. Really not hard after a guy gets good at it. 16 inches of ice ? Need to find a more active run.
Worked out to 100 beaver in 105 days of trapping.

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 02:08 PM

16" around the feed bed... front door only had 1" grin, never found another entrance...one of those friend of a guy I know looking to get rid of those beavers...been there 3-4 years. lol...after I set it up, ran into the landowner ,he said he's caught a few here n there.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 03:47 PM

The Paul Bunyan of beaver trappers, great to see someone catching them when they are worth more!! Spring beaver go bad so fast, coarse, red, and shedding, $7.00 average for spring beaver this year.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 04:17 PM

I'm up over a 100 this year too Forester, but I tip my hat to you 'cuz all of mine were taken by easy open water trapping out of a boat. Don't know what the casters look like on yours, but my guess is you should get semi decent $$$ for the pelts. Like Wy. Wolfer always says; "there's always a market for the shearable heavies".
Posted By: WBG

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 04:41 PM

Seems only for blanket and up and still at very short money.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 06:48 PM

Those beaver are at the best now. A year ago I had top price of $19.50 on some, probly same this coming auction? Then u got casters , wasn't it about 7 or 8 years ago , beaver were way up, $50 top, I had 1 on last day , April 15, brought upper $40s or $50

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/19/19 09:17 PM

$47 was my best last year for a select heavy 2x. Shipped 106 oz of castor this year. Some of which was from summer nuisance work. Large and up arnt bad. Anything smaller isnt worth it.
Out of 100 this year 46 went large or up.

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/20/19 12:25 AM

went back today earlier than anticipated, pulled 1 kit out of a 330...I'll be back on Sunday.....46% large and up is probably a pretty good ratio forester...how much did you get for the smalls shipped? groeny got mine last year for $3 sick

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/20/19 12:34 AM

3$ shipped last year. This year they went to groneys green. 3$ He called me out the last pickup. Asked me where the big ones went. blush
I ran bank dens hard and stayed away from lodges if I had the choice.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/20/19 01:01 AM

That's some pretty hard core beaver trapping. Impressive!
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/20/19 02:17 AM

Wow. That's some catch. I must be doing something wrong. It took me 2 months to catch 2 beavers!
Joe
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Long line beaver trapping - 02/20/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by forester79
3$ shipped last year. This year they went to groneys green. 3$ He called me out the last pickup. Asked me where the big ones went. blush
I ran bank dens hard and stayed away from lodges if I had the choice.

We got big beaver on the river and since I focus on their marking spots rather than feedbeds I catch a higher % of adult beaver.

A few years back I ran a stretch of river I hadn't trapped in 6-7 years and my first 100 beaver only had 3 that didn't at least stretch XL. I took my first batch of beaver up to my receiving agent in Seattle and it coincided with an auction that day so I got to meet Don Rumford and he watched me unload my beaver on the dock. He asked me what I'd done with all my small beavers! LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums