Home

What's up with this coon?

Posted By: Ditchdiver

What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 04:56 PM

I put this coon up a few days ago and it has been in my unheated shed. It was caught in a MB550 on dry land and dispatched with a 160. Why do you think the leather is so red? Of all my coon this year, this is the only one like this and I don't remember ever having one like this before. Any ideas? [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Andy27

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 06:02 PM

Maybe he got hit by car at some point in life?
Posted By: kyron4

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 06:17 PM

I just did one that looks like that over the shoulder area. Fur looks fine.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 07:45 PM

I have a few similar each year, and not always in the same area. Some trauma of some type but what? There are a whole host of options. Hind foot or front foot catch?

Bryce
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 08:19 PM

I was once told that these con with reddish or purple color had distemper, don't know if it is fact never bother trying to check it out. Anyone else heard this?
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 09:15 PM

Sometimes those females can have different colored leather. Maybe it had a tough time raising it's litter?
Posted By: Boco

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 11:15 PM

Livor mortis.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/11/18 11:29 PM

I have a boar like that. Weird thing is that his front legs were red up up mid point above the wrist, visible from the outside. Looked like he was sunburned and rubbed! Both sides, and with a perfect line.

Then the hide looks like this one= dried with a red color at the butt end....

Boco , mine was live when I saw the condition. And in a cage trap so no trauma. Liver mortis is a post mortem condition and I don’t think,mine was in the same position long enough for pooling.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 12:25 AM

Stress usually have this when conniver coon don't die immediately. Same thing happens to beef and pigs when stressed at death.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 12:55 AM

More trauma in a cage than you think. Hair was rubbed of reaching through the wire
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 01:06 AM

Won't hurt it a bit. When trapping with body grips, you see that alot. I think it has something to do with the blood pooling in the skin when caught in a body grip. Only explaination I can come up with, but is very normal. See it alot.

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 01:33 AM

Thanks everyone. It was caught in a foothold, just dispatched with a body grip. Death was quick so I don't know how much stress it would have experienced (more stress of being in the foothold). I skinned it the day it was caught but fleshed it two days later, maybe that could cause it? Anyway, I was just curious. Thanks again.

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 01:34 AM

By the way, Lee Steinmeyer- love your fleshing knife! That thing does wonders!
Posted By: Trapset

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Won't hurt it a bit. When trapping with body grips, you see that alot. I think it has something to do with the blood pooling in the skin when caught in a body grip. Only explaination I can come up with, but is very normal. See it alot.

Agree 100%. I have a lot of Coons that look like that in my 160 cubbys. Usually seems like its mostly on the larger ones but not always. Never been docked for it.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: What's up with this coon? - 12/12/18 08:28 AM

Lots of mine look like that.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums