Home

Track ID please

Posted By: 20scout

Track ID please - 12/14/18 08:08 PM

Things have been very slow here lately so decided to do some more scouting. Lack of snow and warm weather have made tracking very difficult as the sun usually melts the details in the track rather quickly. Any clue as to what these might be? The first set are about 1 1/2"- 2" and may be bobcat but whatever it was decided to turn and walk back over it's tracks. I could only find a few track as they disappeared off the trail where there was no snow. [Linked Image]

This next set I'm thinking may be Fisher but thought the loped more like mink.
[Linked Image]

Experts, any opinions?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 08:12 PM

Top looks like a fox, but hard to tell for sure, the bottom could be a rabbit, but not familiar with fisher. See what others think!

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 08:37 PM

Lee, we have plenty of rabbits and fox seem to be on the rise around here. I'm familiar with both creatures and it's hard to get a clear picture but don't think it's either. The top ones don't look like canine as the pad seems to be more like cat and the track appears to be more round than oval. I did put out a few cameras in case they decide to return and just in case it's a cat, made a couple of sets. Maybe I can add a cat to this years pile!
Posted By: white17

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 08:48 PM

What is the approximate size and spacing of the tracks in the bottom picture ?
Posted By: M.S. Pickins

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 08:57 PM

No fox around here so I'm not familiar with their behavior but bobcats are notorious for walking in other critters tracks and backtracking on their own.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by white17

And how deep is that snow?

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:31 PM

About 4"-5" apart with about 12" between each set of four prints. Tracks about the size of a 50 cent pc.

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by M.S. Pickins
No fox around here so I'm not familiar with their behavior but bobcats are notorious for walking in other critters tracks and backtracking on their own.

There was a lot of that in that area including squirrel & rabbit. Interesting on them back tracking like that!

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:36 PM

About an inch of crust with a light dusting. Small patches of snow in shaded areas otherwise very little snow.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:48 PM

The toe pads in that first pic doesn't look bigg enough for a cat to me, but they are not very clear. Camera is a good way to find out! Good luck!

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 09:58 PM

Thanks !! I don't have fisher but if those were marten tracks it is very similar to a marten walking rather than bounding. So............could it be fisher walking ?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Track ID please - 12/14/18 10:04 PM

To me they appear to be fisher tracks.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:11 AM

Thanks everyone. Cameras are out, time will tell.....I hope!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:15 AM

I agree fisher.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:18 AM

[Linked Image]
Here are small female fisher tracks(walking) to compare,but in deep snow.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
About 4"-5" apart with about 12" between each set of four prints. Tracks about the size of a 50 cent pc.

so, each of the 4 pear shaped depressions shown is 4-5" long and has 4 individual prints in the bottom? and they are 12" between?
half dollar is ~1" and my references say fisher tracks are greater than 2.5" & i don't see crowding 4 2.5" prints into a 4-5" space..
If my understanding is correct, then I say they are consistent with either mink or weasel; I asked about the snow depth because there's not much body drag showing but with just an inch there wouldn't be. I would have thought mink to be about 18" apart, so possibly weasel which I don't have.
If each of those pear shapes is a pair of prints then it's maybe fisher.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 07:12 AM

Waaaaaaaaaay too big for wink or measle
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 02:45 PM

How cold was It. They could be skunk tracks.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 03:54 PM

5" body print? 12" between hops? OK
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by tjm

5" body print? 12" between hops? OK

Maybe the wink or measle was wearing 50 cent pieces for snow shoes?

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 04:05 PM

LOL !!!! Right !!!!!!!!

In my part of the country a weasel would leave tracks smaller than a dime and a mink would not be much bigger.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 04:15 PM

Alright, call me crazy but Im ruling out a kangaroo!!

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 04:40 PM

I am sorry to hear AK mink are so small.
SCDNR
[Linked Image]
So, ~1.25"x1.38"
"The half dollar, sometimes referred to as the half for short, is a United States coin worth 50 cents, one-half of a dollar, and is the largest United States circulating coin currently produced in both size and weight, being 1.205 inches (30.61 mm) in diameter and .085 inches (2.15 mm) in thickness, and is twice the weight of the quarter."

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:03 PM

HA HA,that size of mink must have been from a nuclear waste site.
Wild mink print is about 3/4 by 3/4 of an inch
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:05 PM

From what I can see, I will also say fisher after comparing them to the fisher tracks I had go through my yard a year ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Plus the fact that he is in an area where fisher are common.

Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:09 PM

LOL !!!! Right !!!!!!!!

In my part of the country a weasel would leave tracks smaller than a dime and a mink would not be much bigger.

Yup,,about dime sized here for mink also.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:20 PM

And your fisher has a body length of 4-5" ? with all four footprints in one 4"X5" area?

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:27 PM

Actually a dime is ~.7" & $.50 is 1.2" so Boco's 3/4" given that the op said melting involved is all within the "about" grouping.
I think that some of us are seeing those body prints as footprints, or maybe I'm totally wrong and fishers are rat sized , after all I've never seen one. Any way it beats talking about religion.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 05:54 PM

TJM. I don't understand what "body prints" you are referring to ??? Are you talking about the photo that Boco posted or the original post? I don't see any indication of body marks in the originals

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 06:21 PM

TJM. I don't understand what "body prints" you are referring to ??? Are you talking about the photo that Boco posted or the original post? I don't see any indication of body marks in the originals

about 12" between each set of four prints
I'm talking about the pear shapes in the OP 2nd picture which he says is sets of four prints, as in a hop 12" hop 12" hop trail with four foot pints in each pear shape depression in 1" of snow... but I can't see that in any of the pictures- it's what I think I read

Fact is in both the OP pics I can only see one real track and I think it is a cat in the 1st pic, but pictures always have me guessing because of lighting and angles.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 06:38 PM

I think maybe you misunderstood him. Or maybe I did.

The way I see that bottom picture is ....there are 4 individual foot prints that are each 4-5 inches apart. The next set of 4 is 12 inches further to the left..out of the picture.

If you look at the picture Boco posted it is very similar. each depression is the track of a single paw. There is also a bit of dragging of each foot in the direction of travel AND a bit of body drag on the edges of that trail.

Is that the way you understood the OP ??
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 06:48 PM

Fisher. They walk and bound.

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 07:46 PM

I bet you're right, I misunderstand half of what I read on the net; but that means it is walking with 8" steps to place four steps then making one real long step and doing it again, and repeating that, a pattern of travel I haven't seen.
It's not clear to me in Boco's pic that the animal is trotting, or bounding or loping, the snow is deep enough that the feet drag; in MnMan's first picture I see what references say I should with fisher; paired sets of double registered tracks.
As Lee said the way I see the 2nd OP pic it could be a rabbit. Or any small hopping animal.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 08:38 PM

We got big mink

Re: Track ID please - 12/15/18 08:42 PM

In Boco's picture the animal is walking. That is what I think is shown in the OP's second picture.

You're right that the normal pattern is paired tracks. Marten tracks are almost always the paired also.

But every once in a while marten will walk and it is that same pattern that both Boco and the OP have shown.

The first time I saw walking marten tracks I had a hard time figuring out what they were. I had to follow them for quite a ways until he returned to the normal bounding gait.

I have absolutely no idea whether there is any correlation to what I'm going to say next laugh but.........the times I have noticed marten walking have been when there is a significant crust in the snow with just a bit of loose new snow on top. That was also the OP's description of conditions in that picture.

Anyway.....I find it interesting to wonder why critters do what they do, especially when it's out of the ordinary
© 2024 Trapperman Forums