Home

Snares and baking soda

Posted By: TintedSnow

Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 04:38 AM

So I boiled some new snares with baking soda...now they're kind of powdery, white, and not smooth at all. I feel like if something walked into one, it wouldn't fire at all...Did I just use too much baking soda? I didn't use much at all. Do I just keep boiling them over and over to get rid of it all?
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 05:09 AM

For boiling snares, it should be less than a 1/4 cup of soda per gallon of water. The more concentration of soda the more caustic it is.

Personally I would not boil the snares as I treat them the same as dealing with oil on traps, in just put them outside in the grass or hay, and let nature render things, or in snares dull them enough.

In my experience, the only problem you have with anything shining on a snare is from thieves, not animals, and I have never had a problem with a thief spotting a snare. One of the trappers I have always respected for his genuine knowledge was Tom Krause, and he spray painted his snares. If you observe animals, they are always coming across wire and never flinch from it, unless it is electric fencing. A canine sees very little color and does not run bolting away from aluminum cans.
i would air my snares out and then set them, to let nature age them more. The odds are that 95 out of a hundred animals are not going to have a natural aversion to what you are doing. In your location it would be 100 out of 100 in averages as there are not enough people to educate them.

The next part is conjecture as I have never had pitted snares which is what it sounds like you have. I would try graphite as it would be functional at below freezing temperatures , it lubricates and would have less scent than Tom Krause painting.

I hope things turn out for you, but in real experience, my uncle snared coyotes with a passion and he took the wire off the roll, pounded the aluminum stops on them and set them without any problems. I never had any problems setting snares out of the box.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 08:58 AM

When trappers buy galvanized aircraft cable for snares or cable restraints, does it have any oil residue on it?
Posted By: spotter

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 09:13 AM

Depending on the manufacturer of gac, some cable is very oily due to the process. A good soak of white gas and air drying usually takes care of it.

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 10:01 AM

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 10:29 AM

Looks like too much baking soda and boil too long.

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 10:55 AM

Is there a way to fix it?
Posted By: Josh Weizenegger

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 12:16 PM

I would recommend not boiling snares predators do not care the least if its shiny or oil on them.
Posted By: Saskayote

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Weizenegger
I would recommend not boiling snares predators do not care the least if its shiny or oil on them.

Originally Posted by Josh Weizenegger

Agree 100%. Am an off the roll guy. I don’t even think of it, and to me when I do, it is a hassle and unneeded step. Refusals? I have seen one in four years. I don’t even know if it was a r fiscal or not in the first place.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 02:30 PM

Just rinse or soak it off, it's a good treatment for snares
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 02:38 PM

I boil my cable In baking soda. The snares I buy will leave black marks on your hands when handling them. I'm not going to hang them Out In some coyote trail like that.

I boil for about 10 min then flush with cold water. I don't pull the cable out of the pot.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 03:09 PM

When I used 7x7 cable I never washed or treated the snares and didn’t have a problem with refusals. Then I switched to 1x19 cable and started getting refusals like crazy. The 1x19 is shinier than the 7x7.
So now I give the snares a spray of brown spray paint and no longer get refusals.
I also set snares as soon as the paint dries and still make catches, so the paint smell hasn’t been an issue yet.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 03:43 PM

Open and close them a few times and see if they preform like the should a lot of time the 1st "run" on a new snare is not as good as the next few will be.

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/16/18 04:22 PM

You more than likely had some refusals with the 7x7, it's sorta surprising how many do, tracks in snow show it

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 09:05 AM

Here's an update. Still rather gritty after a full rinse and a few hours in the oven at 170. I just tossed one in some boiling water to see what that'll do.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: coydog2

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 11:54 AM

I had a coyote back out of a snare that I did not boil like I had in the past. The snow on the ground show me what happened.it is the first time I try snares with out boil like I have in the past. The ones I did boil I keep getting the coyotes like I normal do. When I boil my snares I do not boil long and they are not like in the photo.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 03:02 PM

Star flakes,
Good post.

TintedSnow,
Submerge your snares in mineral oil overnight then let them drip dry outside for a couple days. It will relube the snares and has no odor, just like the mineral oil and graphite lube that is on good cable.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 03:27 PM

You selling inferior cable to beav Rally? LOL He thinks he has to boil your snares. laugh You just can't please everyone. haha.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 03:47 PM

I just use warm tap water and baking soda. Let them sit overnight and they are fine.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 04:27 PM

Jayme,
Old habits die hard!
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rally
Jayme,
Old habits die hard!

No teaching an old dog new tricks either, stubborn old dogs. laugh

Re: Snares and baking soda - 12/19/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Open and close them a few times and see if they preform like the should a lot of time the 1st "run" on a new snare is not as good as the next few will be.

This should help
© 2024 Trapperman Forums