Home

Beef Stew

Posted By: CGBurnett

Beef Stew - 12/18/18 10:54 PM

Anyone eat Dinty Moore Beef stew. I think its pretty good in a bind. Will start trapping this weekend will post some pics. Merry Christmas!!!! CGB
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 10:56 PM

Not me, I like cooking too much to subject myself to dinty moore. Crock Pot or Dutch Oven... don't get much easier making food than that.
Posted By: charles

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 10:57 PM

Been about 40 years.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs
Not me, I like cooking too much to subject myself to dinty moore. Crock Pot or Dutch Oven... don't get much easier making food than that.

I'm with you. Easier, cheaper, tastier and more efficient.

When I have a busy week I start making a stew on the first day and each day throw another potatoes, meat and onion in to keep the pot full and fresh.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 11:17 PM

Make up a batch of instant mashed potatoes, dump it in the middle of a plate, dump the can of stew on top, and heat in the microwave. Super good in a hurry! Also love those tins of Argentine Corned Beef in the tapered can.
Posted By: CGBurnett

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 11:19 PM

man i must be starving or something. i think its pretty good home from work and heat it up. omg maybe i will change my ways.....CGB
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Beef Stew - 12/18/18 11:24 PM

I like making venison vegetable stew by the gallons.
Posted By: run

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 12:27 AM

I made sweet apple chicken sausage tonight.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 12:45 AM

I can’t stoop that low.....plus the Sodium must be brutal.....I make my own stew .
Posted By: Boco

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 01:11 AM

If you spend a lot of time in the bush you have eaten your share of canned food.Not near as good as home made but convenient enough when running and gunning.
Canned sardines are my staple.Handy when you can eat your bait in a pinch.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 01:14 AM

I've eaten gallons of Dinty Moore. I would prop it against the turbo in my log truck. Throw a glove over the lid, and used the p 38 to open it. I did blow up a case or two, when I was loaded and forgot. Whoops!
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 01:18 AM

Sardines are always a treat in the Bob House !

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Boco

Love me some sardines in mustard sauce!
Posted By: Zim

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 02:07 AM

I remember back as a kid they would tout it on tv as the official stew of the Green Bay Packers training camp.
One year, 1969 or so Boyd Dowler came and spoke at our high school football banquet and when questioned about it he said
that he remember seeing a can of it on the shelf at one time. lol

Zim
Posted By: Finster

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

When I was a kid, my buddy copped a bottle of watermelon schnapps from his dads liquor cabinet. We both drank the entire thing and then decided we were hungry. The only thing in the house was sardines in mustard so we ate'em up. I never puked so hard in my life.
sick
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 02:16 AM

Dinty Moore at camp after hunting in the cold all day tasted pretty good to me in the 60's.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Ma Baasch herring
Posted By: tjm

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 03:31 AM

If you spend a lot of time in the bush you have eaten your share of canned food.Not near as good as home made but convenient enough when running and gunning.

words of wisdom
I like to cook and I kinda like to eat my own cooking, but cooking takes time and prep for stew takes more time, living on your own or roughing it, often that is time you don't have. Sardines, corned beef, cured sausages and canned vegetates cut out all the prep time and get you a hot meal fast. Save those shore dinners and pot roasts and cobblers for the down time at home. Dinty Moore isn't the best stew though try other brands, there are a couple better brands and a few worse. I never seen a crock pot that worked in the woods.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 03:45 AM

Sardines in mustard don't make the best bait, rule of thumb with canned food is the best quality is packed in water and the stronger the sauce flavor the worse the quality. Sardines, in descending order of good- water, olive oil, soy oil, mustard, La hot sauce.
Good eating sardines come from Poland or Norway (cold water) and bait sardines come from Portugal and Vietnam (warm water). I'd rather use my food for bait than eat my bait as a rule. Canned meat and sardines stay in my vehicle year round.

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 03:54 AM

I don't know where you guys get your sardines but these are the best.Golden smoked or kippered right from the east coast of Canada. [Linked Image]

These don't get used as bait,I use the cheap euro ones for bait.

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 04:03 AM

For several years I used to help out an old guy on his trapline.I helped him get his beaver quota cut wood for his camp etc.He skinned some of my catch and did some great camp cooking. [Linked Image]

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
Sardines in mustard don't make the best bait. Sardines, in descending order of good- water, olive oil, soy oil, mustard,

True, when I targeted coon decades ago we would carry sardines in oil for coon bait and sardines in mustard sauce for snack!
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 11:35 AM

fired a kid on my childhood trapline cause he couldn't keep his fingers outta the bait. laugh
Posted By: Osky

Re: Beef Stew - 12/19/18 11:40 AM

I don't know where you guys get your sardines but these are the best.Golden smoked or kippered right from the east coast of Canada. [Linked Image]

These don't get used as bait,I use the cheap euro ones for bait.

Yeah but who can read the package??

Osky

Re: Beef Stew - 12/20/18 12:35 AM

Not only good grub but a French lesson too.

Re: Beef Stew - 12/20/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by pcr2
fired a kid on my childhood trapline cause he couldn't keep his fingers outta the bait. laugh

I'd have been fired too!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums