Home

2 coyotes in one trap

Posted By: ajw78

2 coyotes in one trap - 12/18/18 11:38 PM

So this is first for me, Today when checking my coyote line I pull up to a coyote in a Cable Restraint that has killed another coyote that must have came to attack it. What I think happened is when they were fighting rolling around on the ground the attacker got rolled up in the cable around the neck and could not escape. The cable was not tight on the neck and was only twisted once around like a twisty for bread but he was on the bottom basically pinned to the ground and didn't end well for him. Mother nature can be cruel ill just say the one in the trap fought dirty and was almost ten lbs bigger than the attacker. He had some hind leg wounds and 2 broken ribs but barely a hair out of place. the guy on the bottom we will see once it gets out of the rinse cycle but I have some sowing to do for sure the back is good so 2 for one basically. Better to be lucky than good sometimes. I will see if my buddy can post the picture on hear I cant do it.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/18/18 11:54 PM

That's quiet a catch!!
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/18/18 11:55 PM

That would be nice to pull up on. We see things on the trap line that other people never dream of. That's probably the one thing I enjoy about trapping more than anything, is the excitement of what might be waiting in the morning. Congrats yo you
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 01:20 AM

That's amaZing. Never quite understood why they attack ones in traps. Had it happen to both makes and females.

The one I got this morning had a bite on both flanks

Had one get attacked by two while I was in a stand bow hunting 300 yards away watched the two walk down woodline twice and come back. Heard " yipping" but never dawned on me they were attacking another in my trap till I checked my traps after the hunt. Couple bites on its flanks
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 01:43 AM

Caught a rabbit last night that became somethings meal. As hard as they tired they couldn’t pull both back feet from the trap and just made off with the head.
Posted By: fishrmann

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 03:18 AM

Pic

[Linked Image]
Posted By: strike2x

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 03:23 AM

Looks like a train wreck. Maybe the first one was running real fast and the second one rear-ended him killing them both. Lol..
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 03:48 AM

Thats Just -Wow!
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 10:52 AM

thanks for sharing never heard of that before
Posted By: dublelung

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 12:28 PM

I'll go out on a limb here and say that's gonna be hard to top. 2 for the price of one ain't a bad deal at all.
Posted By: keets

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 12:50 PM

both males?
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 12:58 PM

Really “bit off more than he could chew” crazy.
Posted By: Northcountry

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 02:16 PM

Thats crazy! I had a similar catch but not as amazing or unlikely as yours.......

[Linked Image]

I had set two #2's in a hay field, a small dirt hole set with no backing. Since I couldnt guide the approach too much, I set 2 traps in the pattern.

Figures they would be red phase coyotes, twice the work for the same pay check. LOL

-NC
Posted By: white17

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 02:56 PM

That's quite a catch for sure !! I hope that one cleans up OK.

But I think the most amazing one I have heard of was by forum member Nunamiut. He had two wolves in the same number 9. It was either a trail set or a pee post. Can't recall which
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by ajw78
So this is first for me, Today when checking my coyote line I pull up to a coyote in a Cable Restraint that has killed another coyote that must have came to attack it. What I think happened is when they were fighting rolling around on the ground the attacker got rolled up in the cable around the neck and could not escape. The cable was not tight on the neck and was only twisted once around like a twisty for bread but he was on the bottom basically pinned to the ground and didn't end well for him. Mother nature can be cruel ill just say the one in the trap fought dirty and was almost ten lbs bigger than the attacker. He had some hind leg wounds and 2 broken ribs but barely a hair out of place. the guy on the bottom we will see once it gets out of the rinse cycle but I have some sowing to do for sure the back is good so 2 for one basically. Better to be lucky than good sometimes. I will see if my buddy can post the picture on hear I cant do it.

Originally Posted by fishrmann
Pic

[Linked Image]

That is a great story, very interesting!

The attacker was dead, was the one in the CR also dead or just a bit beat up from the fight?

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
That's amaZing. Never quite understood why they attack ones in traps. Had it happen to both makes and females.

I don't understand the behavior either but I know red fox will attack each other as well, both sexes too. One season I had a female attacked and killed by four other reds. There was fresh snow and it told the story.

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 10:56 PM

Just the one on the bottom of the picture was dead the other 1 had 2 broken ribs but other than that was fine The beat up 1 had 78 bite holes in it The back was in good shape I sewed to big hole shut don't have high hopes for it

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 10:56 PM

Both males

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ajw78
Just the one on the bottom of the picture was dead the other 1 had 2 broken ribs but other than that was fine The beat up 1 had 78 bite holes in it The back was in good shape I sewed to big hole shut don't have high hopes for it

That's a lot of holes.
Posted By: Fur Hanger

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/19/18 11:23 PM

I had a situation last weekend while deer hunting with my muzzleloader. I had a nice male coyote come walking down a deer run by my stand, so I decided to smoke him. I did not get a real good hit on him and took out his upper front leg close to the shoulder and he started spinning around in circles and yelping. While I was reloading my smoke stick to put him down for good another coyote came in from the other direction and started to attack him. Both coyotes got to ride in the bed of my F150 that evening..
Posted By: AJE

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/20/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Fur Hanger
I did not get a real good hit on him and took out his upper front leg close to the shoulder and he started spinning around in circles and yelping.

I had that exact thing happen once. It was interesting.

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/20/18 03:57 AM

Great job ajw. Quite a story.

Good luck with that. 78 bites!

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/20/18 04:17 AM

I remember when a guy on here got a coon and a skunk together in the same cage. Your photo rivals that.

Re: 2 coyotes in one trap - 12/20/18 04:56 AM

Almost all the holes are very small smaller than a pencil
© 2024 Trapperman Forums