Home

Porch Package Thieves

Posted By: Muskrat

Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:13 AM

Becoming epidemic across the US. Was only a matter of time before the low lifers found yet another way to steal from honest, hard working citizens. Was watching this video with my wife and I said sooner or later an angry customer who didn't receive their package is going to booby trap a "delivered box" and hurt/kill someone. She said two wrongs don't make a right. I agreed, but dang I hate thieves. Don't we all?

Anyway, this is interesting, you might've seen it already, apparently it's gone viral. Whatever that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:25 AM

porch pirates are just lot lizards in the off season.
Posted By: dublelung

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 12:24 PM

A 220 should fit inside most packages and be easily concealed with a little packing paper. Just saying......
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by dublelung
A 220 should fit inside most packages and be easily concealed with a little packing paper. Just saying......

Yes- but it's the giving season, good things come in large packages- smaller box on a 330 trigger, inside a larger box, with tissue paper around the jaws.

" It's the most wonderful time of the year"
Posted By: snowy

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 12:57 PM

With all the camera's out there and security systems, there still are these thief's.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
With all the camera's out there and security systems, there still are these thief's.

Tech exists to be fooled. For it was man that made it. Man can break it.
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 01:35 PM

Simply have the gov pass a law making it illegal to steal. If that doesnt curtail it then pass a law to quit mailing packages so the theives won't be tempted.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
Simply have the gov pass a law making it illegal to steal. If that doesnt curtail it then pass a law to quit mailing packages so the theives won't be tempted.

Are you really Nancy Pelosi

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 02:23 PM

Nancy might be my sister and I might be the devil.

I was coon hunting one night and ran into this guy out in the woods and lifted my lantern enough to see the guy, he said you don't know me do you ? I said why yes I know you, your the devil, I've been married to your sister 20 yrs.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 02:40 PM

Huge problem for sure. Recently local pd and residents started teaming up for porch pirate stings.

Amazon and Walmart heard about the program and now Amazon is donating boxes and labels to residents and pd to use Walmart its donating actual products to fill the boxes.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 02:48 PM

Be interesting to swap the glitter for Cheyenne Pepper and the fart thing for pure quill. But then person probably get arrested for assault doing that? thief would walk.
I got CO2 powered mines that I made for playing paint ball. They'll fire paint, chalk or fine ground Pepper or pure quill. I almost put them on my walk during my cat fiasco with Cheyenne pepper. Good thing I didn't as first person I'd have gotten, was a reporter from Star Tribune. Not bad to get a reporter, but this guy was on my side of the debate LOL..
Thieves plain suck no matter how ya look at them.

Mac
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
Becoming epidemic across the US. Was only a matter of time before the low lifers found yet another way to steal from honest, hard working citizens. Was watching this video with my wife and I said sooner or later an angry customer who didn't receive their package is going to booby trap a "delivered box" and hurt/kill someone. She said two wrongs don't make a right. I agreed, but dang I hate thieves. Don't we all?

Anyway, this is interesting, you might've seen it already, apparently it's gone viral. Whatever that means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo

Next time I'm moving through your neighborhood Mike, I'll do just the opposite and leave a "package" on your doorstep

laugh

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 09:12 PM

I've seen your package, and it's not big enough to worry about.

grin
Posted By: Team V

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 09:27 PM

TraderVic and Muskrat you no the rules what happens at the cabin stays at the cabin.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:16 PM

Why would a delivery company leave a package outside?
Here if no one is home to take delivery,it goes to the depot in town and you get a phone call to pick it up.
What do they expect leaving a package sitting outside,lol.

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Here if no one is home to take delivery,it goes to the depot in town and you get a phone call to pick it up.

define depot, please
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:37 PM

Lol, guy on news made packages explode glitter everywhere, then a stink bomb went off, it's all recorded, pretty funny
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat

define depot, please

[Linked Image]

The Depot
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:49 PM

Great market for skunk essence.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:54 PM

Couple years ago I lived in an area that this was happening a bunch. Neighbors even had them on camera but nothing was being done.

A few of the more industrius neighbors started booby trapping dummy packages. Well the area got a reputation and package theft dropped to near nill.

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/19/18 11:56 PM

We have two in our small town.When no one is home to take delivery Purolator drops off packages at their depot at the hardware store.When no one is home to take delivery, UPS has a deal with the post office,and you can pick up undeliverable parcels there.There will be a notice in your post box.

Never will they dump a box on your porch if no one is home to take delivery.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 12:30 AM

There you go. It’s not thieves, just helpful Canadians taking the packages back to the depot! You should thank them.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 12:47 AM

I leave instructions on all my shipments to: "Drop shipment on porch." I've never had any problem. I think package theft must be a town/city problem.

Monday while I was out resetting my trap line I got a delivery of office supplies. Instead of leaving them on the porch, the delivery guy must have drove all the way down the driveway past the house and stopped by my shop. I found the packages inside the shop by the door. I thought that was really strange.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 01:06 AM

The click-n-ship (post office) packages I have recently shipped say right on the shipping label - Leave if no Response.

The last thing the post office needs this time of year is dozens of folks trying to pick up packages because the carrier couldn't leave them.

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 02:10 AM

Works good here,never lost anything.With the amount of stuff the post office handles a post box notice shoved in the box is nothing.They used to handle it all in the past before these delivery companys existed.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 06:02 PM

My Grandmother usta' live in Orange, NJ(inner city for those not familiar with New Jersey. Every year my mother would make us go there a couple of days before Christmas. For sport dad and I would box up lion feces from the zoo, wrap it up like a Christmas package and leave on top of our car when we went into grandmothers house. Then we would watch out the window to see how long it would be before it was stolen. Usually less than 5 minutes. Ah, what we did for fun in the 60's!!!
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 06:12 PM

super idea eric....
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 06:27 PM

In my younger days, someone in my circle of friends came up with an activity we called “Poo Pursing.” We’d go to the second-hand store and buy a bunch of cheap purses, then go to someone’s dog yard or farm and load them each with manure. Then we would plant a purse on a sidewalk, in a mall parking lot, etc and park somewhere to watch. Thieves would usually grab the purse and jump in their car, then either dump it out in their lap or blindly plunge their hand in. Both were very entertaining to watch. Of course this was before every car had tinted windows so we could usually see.

The unfortunate collateral was when a Good Samaritan would pick up a purse and take it into the store lost-and-found, where an employee would inevitably look for identification inside. The Customer Service departments weren’t very happy with us, but overall it was worth it.
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 07:30 PM

My, what’s wrong with people today...sad...regardless if it’s left on the porch it belongs to the home owner not some lowlife...I had 5 packages left on the porch today, if the post office brought every package back to the office when the owner was not home can u imagine the back log...

Why can’t we just trust our neighbors or a passerby to leave things alone...
Crazy world today...
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 07:47 PM

heck they aint been able to walk past our traps half the time since we started walking upright same deal.

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 08:14 PM

Maybe we could get Nancy P to pass a law that demands eveyone must buy a huge steel box sitting on the curb. It will have a 30'' vacuum tube going right to the kitchen table. You can get amazon packages , pizza, 1/2 hog or have your deer processed and delivered straight to your freezer. It will have to wait, everyone has maxed out their budget on the wall go fund me account.
Posted By: Canvasback2

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 09:21 PM

When I get a package delivered by Fedex or UPS or the USPS, the Mail Girl , FedEx delivery Man or the UPS Delivery Girl just knocks on the front door; and then walks right on in.
Posted By: greggsinthehouse

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 09:27 PM

If I was retired and this was happening around me, I would plant Amazon packages on my porch and shoot them with a paintball gun when they stole it.

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 09:33 PM

You need to get up off your fat arses and go pick up your own mail at the post office instead of waiting for someone to bring it to you,lol.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/20/18 10:57 PM

One surefire way to STOP this nonsense is to do things the old fashion way. Go to a local store and purchase or order the item from a local store and support your home town businesses. Then you carry the item home and if someone tries to take it away from you, you blow their -ss off.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/21/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Canvasback2

When I get a package delivered by Fedex or UPS or the USPS, the Mail Girl , FedEx delivery Man or the UPS Delivery Girl just knocks on the front door; and then walks right on in.

In the big city the drivers are all holiday temps and don't give a crap. I have all m y stuff come with, "If not home drop over the driveway gate" so the dog's can watch them, but they can't be bothered to do even that! So I have all box's "Signature Required", and even that seems to be too much effort.
Posted By: TraderVic

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/21/18 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Bowden
One surefire way to STOP this nonsense is to do things the old fashion way. Go to a local store and purchase or order the item from a local store and support your home town businesses. Then you carry the item home and if someone tries to take it away from you, you blow their -ss off.

That is not a problem IF the local retailers have what I want. Retailers are more careful not to inventory anymore than they have to and far more often than not, they don't stock what I want, so......
Posted By: run

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/23/18 11:05 AM

It's a real problem even in the rural areas of Virginia.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Porch Package Thieves - 12/23/18 11:23 AM

Problem here too. Porch cameras helped catch several. The local sheriff's also planted dummy boxes with little tracking devices In them. Easy to follow the goods right to their new destination.
I've also seen dummy boxes with heavy bags of used cat litter in them, or concrete block boxes up with dead fish in the holes.
Thieves are lowlifes in all shapes, sizes and walks of life from the capture pics I've seen online.
Some were literally following the delivery trucks all day long.
Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums