Home

crossbows

Posted By: coykill

crossbows - 12/19/18 07:22 PM

Thinking about buying a crossbow for deer hunting and looking at the Excalibur Matrix Grizzly and the Ten Point Titan RCX. Your thoughts pro and cons
Posted By: muddyriverdogz

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 07:50 PM

Excalibur you can maintenace yourself. Ten Point not so much. Excalibur has a lifetime warranty and they honor it.10 poiint will have a lighter draw weight for the Fps it get's.

I have a 405 and had a limb get a splinter 3 days before bow season. They sent me 2 brand new limbs(so i wouldn't have to mail bow back to them) and had them opening day. Changed them out myself. Bow held it's zero after the limb change.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 07:59 PM

A Ten Point, or any other brand crossbow, cab be maintained at home just as well as any other brand. They'll both do what you need and do it well. Warranty for both is lifetime as well. I've known people to show up at their shop in Mogadore and the people there will fix what needs fixed on the spot. I own neither, but it's a matter of preference.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 08:07 PM

I have a 10 point and the one with a hand crank for the string. A crossbow will do with in reason. For me I use my within 40 yards. I also have a Barnett also that was my first and they both do what I want.

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
A Ten Point, or any other brand crossbow, cab be maintained at home just as well as any other brand. They'll both do what you need and do it well. Warranty for both is lifetime as well. I've known people to show up at their shop in Mogadore and the people there will fix what needs fixed on the spot. I own neither, but it's a matter of preference.

Not as easily as an Excalibur. A kid could do it. And what if the shop goes under or no longer carries the other brand.
Posted By: coolbrze

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 09:34 PM

No experience w/ either model but I've got a Ten Point Venom (3-4 years old) & it's a super nice xbow!
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 09:51 PM

I got the Titan for my dad, it's a good shooting bow and accurate. The only gripe I got with it is the trigger pull is pretty hard. The crank to draw it is great and easy to do.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 11:20 PM

I know id choose the Excaliber all day long!
Posted By: coykill

Re: crossbows - 12/19/18 11:42 PM

Leaning towards the Excalibur 308 Short Banshee and it is only 308 ft/sec. How will that be shooting out at a longer distance?
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:11 AM

Parker had a lifetime warranty too. Until they went belly up.

Anyway I think you would be happy with either one of your choices.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by muddyriverdogz

Not as easily as an Excalibur. A kid could do it. And what if the shop goes under or no longer carries the other brand.

Not a pro shop. I meant the Ten Point factory. If any of them go under I guess its a moot point.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler

Parker is still in business.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler

Parker is still in business.

https://www.bowhunting.com/blog/2018/12/17/parker-bows-out-of-business/

Not what I read.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I know id choose the Excaliber all day long!

Yep and you won't need a bow shop for anything but more arrows.
Posted By: SDB

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:44 AM

I just submitted a post like this back in late August and ended up buying a Ravin R9. It was a great move and I love it. Best thing I own and can shoot a three inch group at 50 yards. I took a 150 class deer at 17 yards and wow- what a bow
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:48 AM

Not sure if it is the same for all the excalibur bows but I have the assassin with all the bells and whistles and it is loud. Shot it next to a barnet (400?) and the barnet was noticeable quieter.

The assassin is accurate enough that I do not shoot at the same dot at 60 yards.

The excalibur bows are much easier to work on yourself. They are also much harder to pull back if you do not have a crank (280# vs 180#).
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by SDB
I just submitted a post like this back in late August and ended up buying a Ravin R9. It was a great move and I love it. Best thing I own and can shoot a three inch group at 50 yards. I took a 150 class deer at 17 yards and wow- what a bow

I’ve heard a few people mention they like Ravin crossbows. Sounds like you have had a really good experience with them.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:03 AM

I've had an Excalibur Exocet for quite some time now. It's fast (350 fps), reliable and very, very accurate. The kind of accurate where you don't want to shoot two bolts at the same target or you get this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And Mythbusters said it couldn't be done! LOL

That was at thirty yards with a rear peep and front fiber optic sight. I didn't get a scope with mine. Didn't see the need for a scope on such a short-range weapon. I limet my shots to forty yards and prefer them much closer. After forty yards the bolts start dropping like rocks.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
The excalibur bows are much easier to work on yourself. They are also much harder to pull back if you do not have a crank (280# vs 180#).

I use the string cocker on mine. It cuts the 200 pound pull weight in half. I also use it to decock the bow, a huge improvement over having to fire a junk bolt every time like some of the other manufacturers.
Posted By: coalminer

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:52 AM

I currently own Excalibur Grizzly, nice bow. My third Excalibur, I like to be able to decock with my cocking string. Mine shoots extremely well. Don’t be afraid to look around for used xbows , a lot of good deals to be had.
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:57 AM

I use a Centerpoint 370 sniper and love it! It doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg either
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:17 AM

I had an excalibur and got rid of it. Too clumsy for standhunting in my area.

I bought a TenPoint, never looked back. I have a couple Robin Hoods myself, ticked me off.

To each their own

WS

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
I have a couple Robin Hoods myself, ticked me off.

WS

Yeah, bolts ain't cheap.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Whopper Stopper
I had an excalibur and got rid of it. Too clumsy for standhunting in my area.

WS

The recurve limbs on Excaliburs are wider than the compound limbs on most other crossbows but it's never been a big issue with me.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob

Interesting, I'd not seen that.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
[quote=Jerry Jr.] I also use it to decock the bow, a huge improvement over having to fire a junk bolt every time like some of the other manufacturers.

You can use the rope to unload other crossbow brands as well, not just that brand.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:06 PM

I dont understand What is so hard about shooting a junk bolt into the ground after dark? What is easier, simpler or faster. Nothin' ...
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:18 PM

Maybe you don't want to make noise near your hunting area or carry a cocked bow to where you feel better about firing it. Junk arrows cost money too. After losing a couple in the dirt I shoot into my target now. My next bow will be one that you can easily let down.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:34 PM

[quote=Jerry Jr.] I also use it to decock the bow, a huge improvement over having to fire a junk bolt every time like some of the other manufacturers.

You can use the rope to unload other crossbow brands as well, not just that brand.

Only if they are designed for use with a string cocker/decocker. Without that groove milled into the back of the receiver/stock it would be impossible or very dangerous to try it.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:39 PM

I dont understand What is so hard about shooting a junk bolt into the ground after dark? What is easier, simpler or faster. Nothin' ...

I don't know, I've never done it, always use the rope to decock.

What do you do, fire it into the ground at your feet then dig it out of the ground? What if you hit a rock,it seems like that could shatter a carbon bolt? Or do you fire it into a nearby tree or stump then go dig it out?

What about all that unnecessary wear and tear on the limbs and string?

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 02:57 PM

Only if they are designed for use with a string cocker/decocker. Without that groove milled into the back of the receiver/stock it would be impossible or very dangerous to try it.

All crossbows are made to be used with a rope cocker, excluding those with a crank system of course. You have to go back a ways to find one that's not.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 03:00 PM

I didn't know that, only ever owned my Excalibur.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 03:23 PM

I don't know, I've never done it, always use the rope to decock.

What do you do, fire it into the ground at your feet then dig it out of the ground? What if you hit a rock,it seems like that could shatter a carbon bolt? Or do you fire it into a nearby tree or stump then go dig it out?

What about all that unnecessary wear and tear on the limbs and string?

I am in between Xbows now, hoping to buy an Excaliber next summer...when i had one it was a Reverse limbed, Horton. I kept One Aluminum bolt for firing into the ground after a hunt . The Aluminum bolt was in my quiver and i used that for 3 years with a field point. Never ruined it, they only go into the ground 7, 8 i ches even at 375fps. As far as wear and tear no different than one xtra shot during practice. If i get one that let down easy, id still shoot a bolt into the ground on the way back to my truck.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 06:42 PM

You shoot a bolt out of my 405 into the dirt you better have a shovel and a metal dector.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by muddyriverdogz

You shoot a bolt out of my 405 into the dirt you better have a shovel and a metal dector.

I bet youve never done it...because i doubt it. And not at a glancing angle either.

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 08:27 PM

I have done it but not on purpose.
Posted By: WIMarshRAT

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by SDB

Outside of being a little pricey, I really love mine. It just pounds tacks. The kids also like shooting it so I guess I can spread out the cost across the three of us grin The kids do need a pretty good rest to shoot consistently with it, but I guess that can be expected at 5 and 7.
Posted By: matt

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 08:53 PM

I bought my son the R10. We love it. It's fast, quiet and easy to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman). If you don't shoot it and need to let it down, just use the crank. Shoots great.
Posted By: gwc

Re: crossbows - 12/20/18 09:57 PM

I bought a Barnett Whitetail Hunter earlier this year.Killed a deer with my friends bow just like mine last year.Its a nice bow.Excaliburs are great bows,but pricey.I can kill a deer just as good with my bow as I could with another brand.Think I paid $400 for mine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums