Home

Muskrat Sets

Posted By: Jonny8040

Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 12:54 AM

Hey Guys!
What is the best muskrat sets for small creeks or lakes. I really like the pole set with the wire that holds the trap and bait. Was wondering if anybody has used that set with luck or another set that would be better. I have never trapped muskrats so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

In Jesus,
Jonny
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 01:01 AM

Pole set using a Hagz bracket to hold the trap and a bait hook. Conibear on a Hagz under the water with bait on the trigger. Open water sets....use a conibear in their run or colony trap if legal.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 02:55 AM

I would not rely totally on bait for muskrats. If fact, I do not use it at all. For small creeks, ones that are just a few feet wide, narrow it down at a pinch point and use a body grip. That set will also take mink. Where a real small feeder enters the lake or creek, set it right where they connect. Mink and muskrats will sometimes use these like we use our roads. If the creek has any depth, look for bottom edge locations. Look for any kind of bank hole underwater. Even if it is not active, mink will explore them. So will muskrats in the spring when they are mating. Look for areas where the muskrats are actively feeding and locate sets right at the active feed.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 04:25 AM

As stated above I would not go to too much baited sets. I am not finding any thin rats right now and we have had Ice for a month. Finding sets that work where rats are travelling from say dens, houses to feeders or other structures I find are higher percentage sets. This year I am adding some colored tape to the trigger and the percentage is up but the trap is set in the run from the get-go.

Bryce
Posted By: AJE

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 04:18 PM

Bottom edge sets preferred by me, even if I don't see sign.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 07:25 PM

i never had much luck with hagz brackets in the fast running small creeks, I save those for the marshes! bottom edge or pocket sets for me
Posted By: Honeydog

Re: Muskrat Sets - 12/22/18 08:16 PM

When I was a kid and we had a good population of muskrats , I caught hundreds of rats by kicking an indentation in the bank and pushing some apple pieces into the back. Then I suspended a piece of apple on two sticks stuck on each side. Gave it a shot of O.L. Butcher's muskrat lure. Set a #1 longspring in front with a couple of feet of wireon the chain staked out towards the middle of the creek with a Willow stake. Stuck another stake halfway out for them to tangle on. Made a lot of money a dollar store a time.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums