Home

Has RK Predator Plus changed ?

Posted By: kyron4

Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/26/18 01:06 PM

Emptied out my last pint of RK Pred. Plus from a few years back and ordered a few pints from F&T last week. The old stuff was light brown in color and very strong, cracking the lid the smell would hit you. The new pint is more pink and fresh looking and no where near as strong, I have to get my nose up in the jar to get a good wiff. Did the company change hands or did the change up the formula ? Hope it works the same, caught a lot of fur on the old stuff from a few years ago.
Posted By: Mike Kelly

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/26/18 01:09 PM

Your fears are correct. The brand was sold and it has a new owner and maker.

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/26/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly

Darn, well I'll use it up and see what happens, but likely not buy any more. Wish I knew that I would have just got more Mark June Windowmaker, my other go to bait. Well maybe the low odder will make a descent early/warmer season bait.

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/26/18 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Kelly

Well if that's not the ol' BAIT and switch. pun intended. lol
Posted By: Jason Turner

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 03:26 AM

Jamesons triple xxx matrix is excellent
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 11:09 AM

Just give Marty Smith or Ed Schneider a call. They both make a really good bait.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 11:15 AM

I've yet to hear from anybody who can catch coyotes on whether or not the new maker is making a quality product. Why is it that because the business was sold everybody assumes its now an inferior product? It doesn't take some kind of magical power to produce animal attractants. I never used Rich's bait so cant compare this stuff. Surly somebody out there that is a decent trapper could give an honest report on it?
Posted By: Hoss2018

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 11:58 AM

Im not a big time trapper but i heard good things about it in the past so thats what i used this season
ive caugt multiple coyotea and fox and a badger on it and thats running anywhere from 1 to 7 traps at a time, works for me didnt even know they changed
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 12:00 PM

Thanks Hoss. Kinda what I expected. Can't imagine somebody would buy a lure business then cut corners.
Posted By: TDHP

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
It doesn't take some kind of magical power to produce animal attractants.

Very true, nor does it take some over powering odor either.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 02:49 PM

I have no Idea who took over RKs bait making. But I can tell you that I have used RKs bait and it's top shelf stuff. In fact I have 2 gallons of It sitting In my shed. I had some 660 dogs made for him and we did a bit of bartering. So I'm good for awhile.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 02:59 PM

The gentleman called me when he bought Rich out a while back. He had some questions but seemed to have a grasp on things after we spoke for a while.

It can be a challenge at first to take over an operation that you hadn't done much of in the past. He will work through his new operation I am sure. Don't be to quick to judge as Danny stated.

Bait batches can vary from one another in color and slight odor changes as well. That doesn't mean that the bait isn't going to be as productive as in the past.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 04:16 PM

When Rich sold out I bought a bunch. Now I'm running out and don't have enough for next year. The new stuff is different. Might be different because my Rich made is several years old or it might be for a different reason. All I know is I need to find a bait for next fall.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 05:30 PM

........ Can't imagine somebody would buy a lure business then cut corners.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but what you say happens frequently. The new owner wants to make more money, so he buys cheaper ingredients. Which changes what the lure/bait looks and smells like. I know of several cases where this is true.

That is the reason some lure makers choose to let their line of lures 'die' when they retire. They don't want their hood name and lure reputation tarnished by an inferior product.

Note - I'm not saying this happens every time a lure brand changes hands. Some new owners are very diligent about keeping the product original.
Posted By: Sliprig

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 06:37 PM

The new guy been around the block a few times. Beav,

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 12/27/18 06:52 PM

Well, I got it out so fingers crossed. It's just in my nature to be leery of change even when it's for the better. Remember "new" Coke lol
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 01:46 AM

Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 04:23 AM

I've yet to hear from anybody who can catch coyotes on whether or not the new maker is making a quality product. Why is it that because the business was sold everybody assumes its now an inferior product? It doesn't take some kind of magical power to produce animal attractants. I never used Rich's bait so cant compare this stuff. Surly somebody out there that is a decent trapper could give an honest report on it?

Not sure if I qualify or not, but here were my results from testing.
The new stuff is not even close to the old. I used to use alot of it. I actually made a thread on here when I got the new jar in . I gave it what I figured was an honest try. 50 sets with it the same way I used the old. 1 coyote, 3 red fox . Too many possums to count.

I always put 2-3 sets at a location. I made 1 with the new RK at each location. The others were some tried and true .

The other sets caught 74 coyotes. A handful of reds ,cats and greys. This was over a couple months time to see how it works in different weather.

I have since switched to almost exclusively DownSouthTrappers line of baits and lures.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 05:39 AM

I know that Jamesons cultured egg bait that I used for a few years had very little odor. But good gosh oh mighty at the fox and coyotes I piled up using that bait in dirt holes. It was pure death on them.

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 12:00 PM

Wow, I wonder what changed ?
Posted By: PA.Trapper

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 01:17 PM

Bob Jameson's Max force bait solution mixed with aged beaver meat is the only thing I use anymore and around here it is absolutely deadly on the K-9's.
Posted By: vatrapping87

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by PA.Trapper
Bob Jameson's Max force bait solution mixed with aged beaver meat is the only thing I use anymore and around here it is absolutely deadly on the K-9's.

Im gonna give this a try
Posted By: tbn

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 02:42 PM

Worked mediocre,have a gallon sitting on the shelf I would sell cheap.
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 04:00 PM

The old RK Paste bait was very good! The problem is the new stuff is not aged like the old stuff. I was at Rich Kaspers place down in Create when his was in business. There was a dead horse laying in the middle of his yard. It had been there along time and I was there late September for the Nebraska Convention. He said he was going to get it the next week. Rich was always too busy too get to it, but had good intentions. I asked him a couple times to buy his Bait business and he always said, What am I going to live on? Well it happened and never gave me chance at it. Not even a round about cost! I hope all is well with him and his new journey. I know I could of done better with some friends help. Right Dave?
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 04:47 PM

I'm sure you would have done an awesome job with it. I can just see dead horses laying in your yard. grin
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dead Coyote
The old RK Paste bait was very good! The problem is the new stuff is not aged like the old stuff. I was at Rich Kaspers place down in Create when his was in business. There was a dead horse laying in the middle of his yard. It had been there along time and I was there late September for the Nebraska Convention. He said he was going to get it the next week. Rich was always too busy too get to it, but had good intentions. I asked him a couple times to buy his Bait business and he always said, What am I going to live on? Well it happened and never gave me chance at it. Not even a round about cost! I hope all is well with him and his new journey. I know I could of done better with some friends help. Right Dave?

I forgot to say it was well AGED Horse. That is probably the difference.
Posted By: TravisJerden

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 05:17 PM

Here’s an idea....tell the man you don’t like the changes. If a lure maker can’t take criticism about their own product they’ll end up loosing out in the long haul. He may not even realize the nuances he’s missing.

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by TravisJerden
Here’s an idea....tell the man you don’t like the changes. If a lure maker can’t take criticism about their own product they’ll end up loosing out in the long haul. He may not even realize the nuances he’s missing.

He responded to the thread I made awhile back. He can't take criticism.
Posted By: TravisJerden

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 06:17 PM

Some cannot, I’ve been told to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) off by a few for criticizing what I thought was junk

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 06:29 PM

Who is the new maker?

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 06:31 PM

Casey rayls, goes by beastmaster on here.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 06:48 PM

When I first jar up my horse whisper bait, its reddish pink but months later it turns brownish color always smells the same. I do it with all my products field test each batch. That said I also watch the carrcuss of the dead horse that will tell you too if it medicated. No even birds will eat on them, last horse I butchered when I slammed the tail gate shut the eagles where on it . Nothing better than a dead horse in the dead pit to bring the critters in.
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/23/19 09:58 PM

Anybody that knows Rich well knows, it was always a little bit a this and little bit of that. No two batches were the same. Even the bait solution. It was the best I ever used. Doesn't sound like the taint was good enough. I wish Cletis would sell some bait solution. Marty's and Bob's is pretty good.

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/24/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by AirportTrapper
Casey rayls, goes by beastmaster on here.

Thank you

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/24/19 04:11 AM

I may take what I got and use it in mock dirt hole sets this summer with trail cams. Never caught anything this season on it when I switched from the old stuff to the new.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Has RK Predator Plus changed ? - 02/24/19 04:02 PM

I think one time he came up with a African lion or maybe It was tiger that he ground up.

Like I said I got 2 gallons of the old stuff and It worked for me.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums