Home

Looking for Property

Posted By: skrat rat

Looking for Property - 12/28/18 04:01 PM

My wife and I are looking for a place to call home. We both work seasonally as guides and travel a lot during the year from AK to the Rockies and back east to where our families are. We really don't have any ties to any one area which sounds like a blessing but it sure makes house hunting difficult. I love turkey hunting the Appalachians in the spring, elk hunting the rockies in fall, layout hunting divers on lake erie, and trapping in AK....picking one place is proving to be tough. The ol ball and chain is ready for some roots and I guess I am too. Looking for a place to keep a couple horses, raise a family and be close to the kinds of recreation mentioned.So far we've looked from Kentucky to Washington so we aren't ruling anything out...You guys have proved to be a wealth of opinion and information....any recommendations?
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 04:41 PM

Central to North Central Kansas, South Central Nebraska. Well kept secret good deer and turkey hunting, good furbearer population, small game, close to Rockies, not bad drive back East, reasonable land and home prices compared to the West and East.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 04:46 PM

Potter Co.-PA. check us out.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 07:21 PM

I've often thought about this subject.

I came to the conclusion that no matter where you choose, your gonna have to travel for most of what you like. Be me, i'd pick a place that you can live cheap where one or two of your passions are and has a climate that doesn't hinder doing what ya like to do. (As in bugs galore in the summer and cold as all get-out in the winter.)
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 07:26 PM

Warren county, PA-You get the Allegheny river, ANF, lots of trout, smallmoth bass, walleye, musky, deer, bear, turkey. Kinzua, close to Chautauqua lake and lake eire.
I lived there for 10 years and missed it so much I bought a camp two years after I moved away.
Posted By: white17

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 07:39 PM

Northern Montana or Wyoming
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
I've often thought about this subject.

I came to the conclusion that no matter where you choose, your gonna have to travel for most of what you like. Be me, i'd pick a place that you can live cheap where one or two of your passions are and has a climate that doesn't hinder doing what ya like to do. (As in bugs galore in the summer and cold as all get-out in the winter.)

Good to find a balance like that. Those places are out there .
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
Warren county, PA-You get the Allegheny river, ANF, lots of trout, smallmoth bass, walleye, musky, deer, bear, turkey. Kinzua, close to Chautauqua lake and lake eire.
I lived there for 10 years and missed it so much I bought a camp two years after I moved away.

Hey, don't let the cat out the bag.....LOL Spent a lot of my youth hunting and fishing around Cherry Grove, Farnsworth, Little Arnot,among a few others. It's still a great place with unlimited outdoor activities and tons of state land.
Posted By: proratman

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 10:36 PM

Wyoming
Posted By: Osky

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 10:47 PM

Wyoming, certain parts of North Dakota.

Osky
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 10:55 PM

I am going to east Tennessee ... so thats already taken grin

Re: Looking for Property - 12/28/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Albert Burns
Originally Posted by gryhkl

Hey, don't let the cat out the bag.....LOL Spent a lot of my youth unting and fishing around Cherry Grove, Farnsworth, Little Arnot,among a few others. It's still a great place with unlimited outdoor activities and tons of state land.

You know, come to think about it, there are lots of places better than Warren county. wink
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 02:43 AM

I'm based out of Punxsutawney, Pa. but have great properties in many areas. Marienville,Pa. offers a great outdoor potential. Powell and Associates Real Estate. Powellrealestateonline.com
Posted By: ou812

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:18 AM

Iowa has big whitetails, pheasants. 12 hours to the Rockies. 16 to east side. 12 hours gets you to Texas, 12 hours gets you to Canada. Winter can suck though.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:37 AM

50 yrs a hunter and trapper,..enjoyed his travels and experiences throughout potter county,..same area ,.right?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by mnsota

50 yrs a hunter and trapper,..enjoyed his travels and experiences throughout potter county,..same area ,.right?

One of my favorite books on the shelf.

On of these days I'm going to pick up and move to central PA.
Posted By: mnsota

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:51 AM

I've read it a few times now, good book! Each time I need to up my reading glass power! laugh
Posted By: snowy

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:53 AM

Montana, south Dakota, Wyoming, Minnesota
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 03:56 AM

Where at scuba? I live in a small town called Roan Mountain and it's in the far northeast of Tenn right on the NC line. Great place to get away from the crowds and raise a family
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 11:31 AM

ive got forty acer in u p of Michigan with log cabin on it really nice power, water, four bedrooms letting it go for 20 thousand under app. right in between all the stuff you want good hunting an fishing
Posted By: mauser06

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 12:03 PM

Are you guys retiring??

If not, that's the biggest thing. Finding good employment.

Or is this a house for when you aren't working your seasonal jobs?
Posted By: skrat rat

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 01:04 PM

Mainly for when were aren't working seasonal jobs but I agree there must be some kind of employment. Mainly winter/spring months
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MinkGuy
I'm based out of Punxsutawney, Pa.
Good wood chuck hunting in your area.
grin
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 01:26 PM

We have two seasons here shovelin and swatting,but there's no place like home.

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 01:44 PM

blushJust notice you're from NW PA so you likley know all about Warren county already.

I've spent most of my life in different parts of PA-warren.forest,venango area is my favorite.
If I was looking outside PA, Washington, parts of Idaho, and BC is where I'd start.

Making a decision like where to put down roots is so individual it's hard for anyone to give good advise.-Good luck in your search.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 10:51 PM

My son says they are moving to Tulsa Oklahoma, housing is good price, her nurse wages higher there
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 11:07 PM

be hard to get me to move from ks. little crime, low cost of living, hunting fishing trapping are all decent. center of the country so travel to other locals is not bad. not too many liberals here. our state constitution recognizes hunting fishing and trapping as a right not a privilege, enforcement of federal firearm law is a felony (wish that would be enforced but it isn't) you can carry any way you choose if its legal for you to own a firearm, (no felony convictions) without asking permission. people are friendly and laws and game regulation straight forward and easy to abide by. taxes are too high imo but not as high as some states.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Looking for Property - 12/29/18 11:27 PM

I can't imagine you would even consider Washington, if the politics and laws were better it would be a great choice.
For the lifestyle you want, I think nearly anywhere in the north half of Idaho would be outstanding.
Posted By: MinkGuy

Re: Looking for Property - 12/30/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by MinkGuy
I'm based out of Punxsutawney, Pa.
Good wood chuck hunting in your area.
grin

No Shooting at Phil in our area!
Posted By: trap-alaska

Re: Looking for Property - 12/30/18 01:09 PM

My wife and I are having the same discussion as I prepare to retire from the military. I like Kansas and Oklahoma, been stationed in both, and PA really surprised me with the great hunting and trapping, although it gets crowded. We both like it there. I think South Dakota is the front runner right now. No income tax and fairly cheap places available with good trapping, pheasant, deer, and duck. Close to a lot of other places. I'm thinking of building a 50x100 steel building with a living quarters in it so I can pull all the toys inside, lock it up, and take off on an adventure.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Looking for Property - 01/01/19 04:21 AM

Without a doubt I would buy in the Buffalo Wyoming area. I live several hours from there and go there few times a year. Its a the base of the Big Horn mountains with lots of hunting for elk, moose, mule and whitetail deer. Antelope hunting east on the prairie. Great fishing and camping in the Big Horns and plenty of furbearers to trap any direction you go. Buffalo is just off of interstate 25 which goes south to Casper/Cheyenne or north to Sheridan and Billings MT. Also I-90 intersects there coming from the east from the Black Hills of SD. Its a great small town with good schools and a really nice downtown district.

Another big plus is Wyoming does not have a state income tax!

I am too darned old to make another move and am pretty well settled here in the Black Hills of SD. Otherwise I would sure be checking out Buffalo.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums