Home

Feeding dog Raw Fish

Posted By: JeffMcam

Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 08:47 PM

Anyone feed raw fish at all? My dog eats mainly a raw diet of meats/bones/veggies/fruits. I always see guys in Alaska feeding dried salmon, boiled back up in the winter into some stew looking thing. just didn't know if anyone fed fresh water fish- I'd likely be freezing before hand (likely rough fish) to kill any worms/etc.

Thanks-
Jeff
Posted By: white17

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 09:00 PM

My sled dogs would eat whitefish raw. But any salmon they ate raw would be thrown up almost immediately. Cooked or dried was no problem. But.......as with most raw stuff like that, tapeworms can become an issue
Posted By: Hal

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 09:02 PM

Don't be surprised if:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by white17
My sled dogs would eat whitefish raw. But any salmon they ate raw would be thrown up almost immediately. Cooked or dried was no problem. But.......as with most raw stuff like that, tapeworms can become an issue

I had to look that up. The usual vector for tape worm in dogs is fleas.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 09:15 PM

Had a friend that would freeze Carp whole, then cut it in two with a machete and feed it to his sled dogs. worked great for him. I throw whole muskrat carcasses in the kennel and they (hounds) will eat everything but the tail.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 09:17 PM

Just going by some of the parasites I have seen in various fish while cleaning them I would definitely cook them some before feeding to a dog just to be safe. A friend of mine has fed his dogs carp but he cooks them first.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 10:05 PM

I hear some people even eat raw fish.

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 10:08 PM

I hope they get worms.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
I hope they get worms.

You don't have to hope, because they do.
Posted By: trapper234

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 10:51 PM

Cook please!
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:02 PM

Used to know a old timer back in the 70's. He would cook all sorts of things for his huge pack of hounds, coon, groundhogs and fish, mainly carp. But he cooked it all in a big cast kettle, never anything raw.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:07 PM

You guys just ruined my plan to take the wife out to the sushi bar for this evenings celebration.
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
You guys just ruined my plan to take the wife out to the sushi bar for this evenings celebration.

You're welcome.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:28 PM

Human digestive tracks are designed to handle small amounts of parasites, such as worms. Many recent studies show that autoimmune diseases, of the digestive tract, are often caused by the lack of parasites for the body to attack. Feeding people parasitic worm eggs has been found to successfully cure Crohn's disease, an autoimmune disease, in many people. So enjoy that sushi.

Mice in studies and canines have related issues.

Keith

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
Human digestive tracks are designed to handle small amounts of parasites, such as worms. Many recent studies show that autoimmune diseases, of the digestive tract, are often caused by the lack of parasites for the body to attack. Feeding people parasitic worm eggs has been found to successfully cure Crohn's disease, an autoimmune disease, in many people. So enjoy that sushi.

Mice in studies and canines have related issues.

Keith

shocked that's kinda weird Keith.

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:47 PM

I'm still not eating raw fish no matter what you call It.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:48 PM

Feeding feces from people with healthy digestive systems, to put beneficial bacteria back into the digestive system of sick people, often helps too.

Children from overly clean homes are more prone to allergies and asthma. Our immune systems need something to do or they can attack us.

Keith

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 12/31/18 11:59 PM

Is that where that old saying eat crap and bark at the moon came from. LOL

Re: Feeding dog Raw Fish - 01/01/19 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm still not eating raw fish no matter what you call It.

Beav, I have to admit that I was taken to a all oriental inclusive type restaurant a few months back and tried raw crab and lobster, it was delicious. Never thought it would be so, but I enjoyed it.

Keith, your freaking me out, but it does make sense.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums