Home

Beaver Question

Posted By: Bucndoe

Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:41 PM

If a lodge is found should all entrances that are found be set ? There are believed to be two beavers in there and the owner wants them both gone. Thanks in advance
Posted By: Hal

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:42 PM

I don't set lodges.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
I don't set lodges.

Its a nuisance job and they want them gone. If you wouldn't set the lodge, how would you tackle it Hal ?

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:46 PM

If I don't know how many beaver there are, first I'm going to try to catch them away from the lodge where dead beaver won't frighten their kinfolk.

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:50 PM

I haven't found a channel run in that spot yet. Just the lodge with two entrances. Was thinking of only setting one of them for the reason you just mentioned. Last year got one on a castor mound set a distance from that lodge but no luck so far on 3 castor mound sets so far
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:55 PM

I hate to agree with Hal, but if you set the lodge right away, be prepared for a lot of trips to check your traps. Better to set runs away from the lodge, or a castor mound first. Set the lodge only as a last resort or when you are pretty sure you have caught them all or you are down to the last one. They will hole up for days if there is a trap guarding their den entrance, or they will find a way around the trap. Good luck.

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 09:55 PM

Well then set the da-gone trap at the lodge!
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 10:34 PM

Are you using body grips at the castor mounds? If you're using body grips at the castor mounds and they're not going to them, you may have beavers that are educated about body grips. Setting them in front of the lodge entrance may get you the same results as your castor mounds. It won't take long to find out.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 10:44 PM

I believe you have your answers - keep us posted!

Re: Beaver Question - 12/31/18 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Are you using body grips at the castor mounds? If you're using body grips at the castor mounds and they're not going to them, you may have beavers that are educated about body grips. Setting them in front of the lodge entrance may get you the same results as your castor mounds. It won't take long to find out.

There is no one trapping that spot but me. I was in there last year also
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Beaver Question - 01/01/19 01:45 AM

If you can switch to footholds on drowners and use a food lure or bait such as an Aspen stick partly peeled you may get those guys. I say try a food lure because they may also be shy of castor since that is what you have been using in conjunction with your 330's. If you can use snares you could also have better luck but switch your lures and try not to disturb the area and also make sets in mid day when they are not out and about. Just my opinion.

Re: Beaver Question - 01/01/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by MnMan
If you can switch to footholds on drowners and use a food lure or bait such as an Aspen stick partly peeled you may get those guys. I say try a food lure because they may also be shy of castor since that is what you have been using in conjunction with your 330's. If you can use snares you could also have better luck but switch your lures and try not to disturb the area and also make sets in mid day when they are not out and about. Just my opinion.

No foot holds allowed in NJ. Snares and body grips fully submerged only
Posted By: MnMan

Re: Beaver Question - 01/01/19 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bucndoe
Originally Posted by MnMan

No foot holds allowed in NJ. Snares and body grips fully submerged only

That really does limit your options but try the submerged snare in place of the bodygripper in a new location and see if that makes a difference. Changing to a food lure would still be something I would try.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Beaver Question - 01/01/19 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hal
If I don't know how many beaver there are, first I'm going to try to catch them away from the lodge where dead beaver won't frighten their kinfolk.

If a pond is iced over, will they stray far from the lodge this time of year?

Re: Beaver Question - 01/09/19 12:12 AM

Got one today on a castor mound set a good distance from the lodge. 55 pounds
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Beaver Question - 01/09/19 12:16 AM

Depending of the surrounding area. If there are any banks near the lodge you might want to look for bank dens. I have found they are easier to set then the runs at the lodge because of water depth sometime.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums