Home

NAFA To Increase Their Commisions?

Posted By: Trapper7

NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:04 PM

One of the trappers who drops off fur at my place said he had heard that NAFA was going to cut percentages on the price they pay for fur on smaller shipments. I don't know if that's been posted on here or not as I haven't been on here lately. Anybody enlightened me?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:07 PM

Haven't heard anything about that. In fact I just dropped off some fur.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:09 PM

Only thing I heard was there might be another change to WFSC but this sounds like some rumormongery going on from either an auction hater...
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Haven't heard anything about that. In fact I just dropped off some fur.

Did you forget how to get to The Union Tavern? lol
Posted By: Boco

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:34 PM

The only change I see for this year is a per pelt charge for shipping(using NAFA pick up service)if you are not a WFSC member.It used to be $9 per bag I think.This makes more sense for small shippers who did not want to pay the membership fee.
If you ship directly to the warehouse the charge does not apply.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:39 PM

Freight has always been per pelt since I started shipping to NAFA in '03'

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:40 PM

Groney doesn't show until Feb 2nd.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:40 PM

Not here.That is new.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:44 PM

The seller side commission is more of a marketing ploy. The commission and fees buyers pay ( comes out of your pocket ) are unpublished. I could be wrong, but I believe many of these are made up and given to buyers a few weeks before each auction.

This goes for both FHA and NAFA so this makes me an Canadian Auction, basher not a NAFA basher. This time.

smile
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:46 PM

I think I read in ITS that they were going to charge higher fees on those who have less then $100 worth of fur
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:48 PM

The buyer commissions are established at the beginning of each season. They are published in each catalog. Three fees -

5.5 % of hammer price

Per pelt commission that varies by species

Per pelt packing fee that varies by species

On some low grade items, you pay more in fees than you do hammer price.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:50 PM

Seller fees have been published before, I think the commission part was around 10% but that may of changed since I cant find it again.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
The buyer commissions are established at the beginning of each season. They are published in each catalog. Three fees -

5.5 % of hammer price

Thanks for correcting me. The trappers cannot access this information? Is this published prior to first receiving date ? Thanks!

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 06:59 PM

When all is said and done,with buyers and sellers commissions/fees/charges,the Auctions take in about 20 -25% of the selling price of each piece of fur that goes thru,except the years that they pay out profit sharing dividends.
Posted By: hippie

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 07:05 PM

Hope the next sale is better than the last one. Some left-overs sold and it's not pretty!

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 07:07 PM

Dirt - I'm not sure if the sellers can access the buyers fee schedule. I have never been able to find it on the NAFA web site. It is published in the catalog the buyers use. And it is usually available as a separate handout when the buyer registers.

Most shippers are not aware that the buyers pay fees and commissions.

NAFA is making money on both ends and as Boco said, it amounts to a fsirngood chunk of change.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by SkyeDancer
I think I read in ITS that they were going to charge higher fees on those who have less then $100 worth of fur

That's where the guy who told me about it said he read it, in ITS. I'll ask the guy who picks up fur at my place. He'll know for sure.
Posted By: handitrapper

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 07:13 PM

LMAO!! That’s a good way to attract new shippers. Takes quite a bit of fur to exceed $100 now. Considering what they’ve been selling for as of late.
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 08:20 PM

5.5 % of hammer price

And on some not so low grade items the additional CITIES fees are pretty stiff. Buyers pay $7 USD. for each otter and ten bucks for each cat. This certainly affects how much a buyer wants to pay for a trappers skins at auction, on top of all the other fees and commissions.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 08:23 PM

The CITES fees are already included in one of the above fees, not sure which one. It might be the packing fee. Last time I checked, the packing fee on a Wolf was $20.00, which included the CITES paperwork.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 08:33 PM

Nothing Is cast In stone.

It say's small shippers MAY have to pay more In the future.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

5.5 % of hammer price

And on some not so low grade items the additional CITIES fees are pretty stiff. Buyers pay $7 USD. for each otter and ten bucks for each cat. This certainly affects how much a buyer wants to pay for a trappers skins at auction, on top of all the other fees and commissions.

If that doesn't include the $2 fee to the trapper for the otter, then that is $9 CITES fee for otters that sell for $30 average. I only get paid $1 to fill out a whole page of information with size, sex, month of harvest of each otter and squeeze those plastic tags through those tiny otter eyes. Man! Am I a sucker? blush
Posted By: otterdog

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 11:02 PM

The CITES fees are already included in one of the above fees, not sure which one. It might be the packing fee. Last time I checked, the packing fee on a Wolf was $20.00, which included the CITES paperwork.

So they charge the seller and the buyer for CITES paperwork??
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/11/19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Nothing Is cast In stone.

It say's small shippers MAY have to pay more In the future.

True
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 12:10 AM

9 percent or 20 percent of nothing is still nothing isn't it? lol
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 12:24 AM

Hope the next sale is better than the last one. Some left-overs sold and it's not pretty!

Yup
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 12:28 AM

So, is WFSC membership now $50 a year? If they charged me $100 in Dec for membership, I'm now paid up through Dec 2020...?
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 12:58 AM

Sell to Groeny
He ain’t no phoney
Burma Shave

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 01:58 AM

Yup - both buyers and sellers pay for CITES paperwork.
Posted By: tbn

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:08 AM

Good luck with that. When an auction company cuts a deal with a buyer to purchase 70 thousand Coon without another buyer in the room is pretty concerning. Fha for me now. The popular fire sale. No wonder the trucks were empty.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by handitrapper

LMAO!! That’s a good way to attract new shippers. Takes quite a bit of fur to exceed $100 now. Considering what they’ve been selling for as of late. ..
....to do that.....it will average out to be about 101 coon
shocked
Posted By: gibb

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by NonPCfed
So, is WFSC membership now $50 a year? If they charged me $100 in Dec for membership, I'm now paid up through Dec 2020...?

It's $100.00 for 4 years which gives you the reduced commission rate of 9% instead of the regular 11%.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:28 AM

Jim,ask them if I pay 200 for 4 years if I can I knock it down to 7%?
Posted By: hudsonfur

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:28 AM

Groeny Rocks!!!!
Posted By: tbn

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:44 AM

Uh huh. Tell that to all the mad shippers. It is an auction house. You know where buyers go to bid on your fur.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:48 AM

Small shippers may pay more. OK Then a couple can pool their collections and grade them out roughly and send them in a composite format. No big deal. One will get the commission back quicker as well.

I can see a raise to help function as an organization. 9% of a $20 coon is $1.80. 11% of a $10 coon is $1.10. It is harder to pay for the shippers savings when prices are lower but then prices are lower throughout the industry as well.

Bryce
Posted By: Northof50

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Jim,ask them if I pay 200 for 4 years if I can I knock it down to 7%?

What you going back to the 1980 rates Boco............then maybe the same prices for lynx then that would be grand..grand.. GRAND or in plain English $ 1000.00 a lynx

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 03:09 AM

Yup - both buyers and sellers pay for CITES paperwork.

I wonder if both sides will get a certification and traceability fee? What's your vision for 2020 say? smile
Posted By: walleye101

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 03:50 AM

Auctions work well when demand exceeds supply, creating competition. When supply exceeds demand, not so much.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by wy.wolfer

If that doesn't include the $2 fee to the trapper for the otter, then that is $9 CITES fee for otters that sell for $30 average. I only get paid $1 to fill out a whole page of information with size, sex, month of harvest of each otter and squeeze those plastic tags through those tiny otter eyes. Man! Am I a sucker? blush

Dang, sounds like Alaska sucks. I pay $0.25 for a CITES tag, and don't have to fill out any paperwork.

Re: NAFA To Increase Their Commisions? - 01/12/19 07:13 AM

Dirt and Wy wolfer are talking about the fees that NAFA charges to do the paperwork to travel CITES goods. Has nothing to,do,with whatna state charges to put a CITES tag on a pelt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums