Home

Ideal trapping weather conditions

Posted By: coolbrze

Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/11/19 10:59 PM

I'm wondering what the ideal coyote, fox, & bobcat trapping conditions that y'all prefer. Obviously no rain but what about temperature range, full or no moon, calm or windy, weather front coming in or going out, etc.? I haven't been doing this long &/or often enough to tell yet & this year has been my worst in 5 years b/c of all the rain we've had.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/11/19 11:14 PM

I trap red fox. For me, long stretches of cold, dry weather with not much wind or snow are ideal. Late December/early January is typically my best time period if I get those conditions.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/11/19 11:17 PM

Right now is my favorite because it's usually well below freezing and we have some snow. It doesn't matter for dark of the moon or full I watch the weather patterns
Posted By: PaRay

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/12/19 01:17 AM

Cold and calm here in northern Pa, should get down to zero. Dug out my traps that got buried in the snow from this last front. Weather looking real good for the next 10 days. Looking forward to picking up some more reds
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/12/19 11:39 AM

cool 30's to 40 dry light wind [ defiantly not this years ` ]
Posted By: IDTrapman

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/12/19 03:17 PM

I'd echo what's being said about the cold and calm days. At least that's what I experience with cats here.

This year I am trying to keep a really good record of not only the weather conditions, but the moon phases and note any and all cat activity I observe. There's several, but the following is the site I am using to record each day's exact moon phase:

https://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/2019/january

To this point, I have noticed more activity during days/nights with a fuller moon. The least activity I've observed so far this season has been the past week -around the time of the new moon (no moon). However, we also had a pretty good storm come through about that same time, so that may very well have skewed things.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/12/19 04:56 PM

58 one day - snow and 32 the next...
Snowed last night about 4 inches and I saw NO tracks at all today with the exception of some lonely doe out meandering around.
Nothing ever touched any of my sets. Everything is hunkered down right now.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/26/19 12:46 PM

I don't like it as cold as it is today.
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/26/19 02:29 PM

anywhere from 10 degrees to about 22 degrees.. cloudy .. very little wind is when i see most catches/movement. Although when it suddenly plummets to -15... for a day or two... those days can be really good too, especially if there's very little wind. i have a pet coyote... he absolutely hates the wind. He will disappear into tall weeds and not come out till the wind lets up.
Posted By: Medlaketrap

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/26/19 02:30 PM

He also hates being wet.. if its raining and he's getting wet.. he gets CRABBY
Posted By: white17

Re: Ideal trapping weather conditions - 01/26/19 04:42 PM

I like it around zero with at least 16 inches of snow. I don't care about the moon or pressure systems
© 2024 Trapperman Forums