Home

Gillette, WY

Posted By: wrestlecoach

Gillette, WY - 01/14/19 08:18 PM

My son is looking at taking a job in Gillette. He's a trapper,hunter,fisherman and doesn't want to live in town. Any leads on a place to rent to a respectful young man within an hours drive would be appreciated. Breaks my heart lo lose my running partner, but he's chasing his dream.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/14/19 08:23 PM

Good luck to him, he will enjoy Wyoming.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/14/19 08:55 PM

He might look into places in Moorecroft. Small town that's fairly close to Gillette.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/14/19 11:18 PM

There are a couple housing areas north and nw of Gillette, I'll ask my friend he used to live there
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/14/19 11:22 PM

I dont know about trapping oppurtunities, but there is a place called “The Prime Rib” in Gillette that served me the best 20 oz. ribeye steak I’ve ever had.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 12:37 AM

Gillette is a mining/oil city...not a good representation of Wyoming as a whole. Money is good, though. Good luck to your Son.
Posted By: wrestlecoach

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 01:10 AM

Thanks for the replies. He just found out that the job is normally 4 days on, 4 days off. Oh to be 20 again with that opportunity. Already told me he's taking all of our MB's with him. Told him he could replace mine with those high dollar coyotes. He told me I can keep all of the Dukes to catch our PA $15 dogs.

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 02:52 AM

Coyote control programs have knocked the population down some, there's some state land 15-20 minutes need of town.
My friend lived in oriva hills I think, about 10 miles nw of Gillette. More fed or state ground east of town too
Posted By: .204

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 04:09 AM

Well, there you go. He could live in Buffalo right at the base of the bighorn mountains. About a 45 to 50 minute drive. Plenty of public ground. Maybe even invite dad out for a prairie dog shoot in the spring or summer. Absolutely love the area. Have 2 sons that live in Sheridan.

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 04:14 AM

Sheridan county, my favorite area, non mountainous area
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 11:07 AM

We used to drive the two tracks when we went out and stand on the running board,worked good! that was just outside Gillette

Posted By: goatman

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 01:34 PM

Wow going to be tough I would think looking for housing. Gillette area booming. Like said above I would look west of town.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 06:13 PM

I lived and worked down there in 2007 at one of the coal mines as for housing my suggestion is to get what ever you can find even if it's not ideal and keep your eyes and ears open for something better, just remember there will be other's doing the same thing. A good snowmobile and 4 wheeler is a good investment if he decides to stay, it's a higher altitude than one realizes so when storms hit it gets interesting to say the least a great adventure is in store for him.
There's a cafe by the railroad tracks that serves a great breakfast and a good BBQ place on the main drag also sorry I can't remember the names of them.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 06:52 PM

Just a heads up for him when he gets here. You cannot trap state land without permission from the state and the owner of the grazing lease. BLM is all fair game though.
Posted By: white17

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs
He might look into places in Moorecroft. Small town that's fairly close to Gillette.

Gillette does not look like a pleasant place to me. I suspect crime and drugs are a big issue.

That said.......... I love that rest stop under the highway at Moorecroft. A hidden little waterhole with great shady cottonwoods. A real surprise ! A trip back in time.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 07:18 PM

I still remember, years ago, when I first got there that fall. Was listening to the radio station out of the "razor city", and there had been a drunked up cowboy or mine worker, whatever he was that got mad and fired up a big catapiller and about tore down the town before they got him stopped! When they do things up there, they really do them right.....er, maybe wrong!
Posted By: white17

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 07:30 PM

LOL !! The 'razor city" !! That's like another Wyoming nickname...."The Ghost Town" ......Casper.

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/15/19 10:48 PM

I like Newcastle much better than Gillette
Posted By: Chamacat

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 12:15 AM

Yep..Last time I was in Gillette the local bar was patching walls and floors. The barkeep said that some railroaders came in last night and started shooting up the place..From what I understood they just got 86 out..No big deal..back then..LOL
Posted By: danvee

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 12:58 AM

Both coal and oil has slowed down in Gillette might get some good deals on a home or rent. Property can be tough to get on there for hunting and trapping but a lot of BLM ground. State you have to have permission from state and leasee which sucks
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Both coal and oil has slowed down in Gillette might get some good deals on a home or rent. Property can be tough to get on there for hunting and trapping but a lot of BLM ground. State you have to have permission from state and leasee which sucks

I wonder what started that on the state sections. Back in the day there wasn't any such regs, but I heard about it about five years ago. When did it change and why?
Posted By: .204

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 01:36 AM

It started right around 4 years ago. I kind of missed it and was still setting for cats on some state land out on the powder river. Thankfully, I caught wind of it and pulled those sets.I believe one of the catalysts was a couple dogs snared on some state land around Casper. Was a big deal for a while.

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 02:55 AM

Blm and state ground probably get trapped every year
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Gillette, WY - 01/16/19 03:41 AM

Lee school sections fall under that umbrella also as state land it's a free application process as long as you get the go ahead from the leaseholder . Then you have to list what you plan on setting traps or snares or both.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums